What we're considering for the site

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Peacedog

What we're considering for the site

Post by Peacedog »

We'd like to do a Game Guide, in the style of the Gold Guide. Ok, tha'ts something. We may do something Bloggy-ish. That's something else.

So what else?

Reviews: this is a distinct possibility. Understand that we will *never* be like a Gamespot (and don't you love it when people use that phrase? "Damn, Tareeq is good but he'll never be a Mr Fed."). We may crawl up the lowly totem pole to where someone gives us something free oneday, but that's not really the point.

The point is to provide content people will enjoy. In the fast paced world of internet reviews, speed is critical. We don't care about that. We just want entertainint reviews.

On hat line, we might do something similar to gamerankings.com. However, it would only be usable by registered forum users. We thought people might enjoy that. Thoughts?

Also, we're wondering about ways to tie the forums (and game discussion) into this.

Indie Gaming Coverage: there really isn't alot of this on the net (though there are some sites that do well), so this would make us stand out a little. We wouldn't do the standard reviews/previews/interviews, most likely, but you never know. This isn't set in stone, but it is an idea that tickles some fancies. Thoughts?

Release Dates: At this time, this is actually something I highly doubt we'd do. It is true that this kind of thing still hasn't been done the way the Chief did it in his prime (Rich, we still miss you). However, that always felt like "his domain", and one of our goals here is not to emulate Gonegold. We miss it alot, but it's gone. Time to try something a little different, yes?

So, that's the meat we have, for now. We'd love to hear suggestions. This site does not necessarily have to be just about gaming, but the gaming focus will be PC.
noun

Post by noun »

Tom Chick on QT3 posts little 30 second reviews of games, then posts announcement threads in the Game forum for comment. That system seems to work pretty well.
CSL

Post by CSL »

I think a wiki-goldguide would be stellar
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Ooh, there's something I forgot to mention. Thanks for the reminder. We were discussing him earlier, I think those things work very well.

We were considering a system that combined "short takes", some "extended play" commentary, and then a "final thoughts". Possibly even we'd have it like a "gaming diary", so that you'd get periodic updates.

We're going forward with the original plans to revise the Goldguide (original meaning pre-cataclysm). That means we're going to have multiple people in charge of it, but it won't be something that just anyone can update (submitting updates will be feasible). However, a wiki-based idea will get discussed.
noun

Post by noun »

I'd be willing to contribute time and efforts towards reviews, as long as we never have to use a number rating system. Those all suck. :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are enough sites out there that follow the Intro/Graphics/Gameplay/Score formula that the world doesn't need us adding more of the same.

I won't give away more than what Peacedog said, except that it should result in reviews with a unique perspective that are actually entertaining to read.
knob

Post by knob »

Indie Gaming Coverage: there really isn't alot of this on the net (though there are some sites that do well), so this would make us stand out a little. We wouldn't do the standard reviews/previews/interviews, most likely, but you never know. This isn't set in stone, but it is an idea that tickles some fancies. Thoughts?

I absolutely love this idea. At the very least, you could have a seperate part of the page dedicated just to this sort of thing, and occasionally make announcements in the forums or on the main page about updates.

And a GameRanking/Gold Guide type thing would be nice to have, although I confess, I very rarely used the Gold Guide, just because I never remembered it when I needed it. Call me a forum whore.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

I think a Wiki-based Gold Guide could be awesome, to be honest.
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Blackhawk wrote: I won't give away more than what Peacedog said, except that it should result in reviews with a unique perspective that are actually entertaining to read.
I hope Eduardo X is on board.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

--> i think this is where the most interesting stuff in PC gaming is happening; so yes, do what is suggested here + more!
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Well, everyone knows my love for the little-man CRPGs like Avenrum, Geneforge, Natuk, Helherron, etc. I like plenty of other "small time" games as well. Stellar Knights, Crimsonland, Riccochet, and OOTP6 all sit on my hard drive. I haven't played MP in some time, but I still love Stars!.

Some places do a great job of giving some spotlight to some indy games (ex: RPGcodex). I think it would be nice to give them some more spotlight. The PC industry has a very good thing going for it the consoles never will: any fool can start making a PC game with tools freely available on the net. There's tons of titles out there that appear backwards technologically, seem simplistic, but are plenty of fun.

Of course, we'd have to define "indie". We might consider everthying up to small (read: 4-5ish) development houses depending on the situation.

And we won't be neglecticing "big name" games. After all, lots of people like to play them too.
Dave Allen

Re: What we're considering for the site

Post by Dave Allen »

Peacedog wrote:So what else?

We'd love to hear suggestions.
Two things.

A page of links to webspaces provided by members to help us enjoy specific games. Someone recently donated space for Morrowind plug-ins, but weren't there other examples of generosity by Gonegolders for other games?

Also, how about a competitive gaming story of the month? Emailed entries by members on topics such as "scariest gaming experience", "retaliatory strikes by loved ones due to obsessive gaming", "the purchase from hell", etc. These stories don't have to be limited to just gaming either.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

What about taking the old AARs from Pc Games by Title and incorporating them into the site somehow?

Every time someone did an X-Com AAR, I was inspired to fire it up again and start whacking aliens. Hell, I almost started playing Ultima IV after reading Hipolito's (?) wonderful description of that game.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

New name for "unreleased games" forum:

A twinkle in the Gamers's Eye.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

DA & Exodor, those are very good ideas.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Exodor wrote:What about taking the old AARs from Pc Games by Title and incorporating them into the site somehow?

Every time someone did an X-Com AAR, I was inspired to fire it up again and start whacking aliens. Hell, I almost started playing Ultima IV after reading Hipolito's (?) wonderful description of that game.
I love this idea.
Raven_13

Re: What we're considering for the site

Post by Raven_13 »

Peacedog wrote: Release Dates: At this time, this is actually something I highly doubt we'd do. It is true that this kind of thing still hasn't been done the way the Chief did it in his prime (Rich, we still miss you). However, that always felt like "his domain", and one of our goals here is not to emulate Gonegold. We miss it alot, but it's gone. Time to try something a little different, yes?
I for one would love to see a release dates page. We don't have to duplicate Rich's ability to get nearly up-to-the-minute gold and release date info directly from the source, but a page simply listing known future release dates and current releases would be great - right now I use EBGames.com and PCGamer, but neither one is that great. Just something to consider.
Jag

Post by Jag »

noun wrote:I'd be willing to contribute time and efforts towards reviews, as long as we never have to use a number rating system. Those all suck. :)
I give this post an: 8
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

I am totally up for helping write a blog-style frontpage. I can also help with a few game reviews. That has actually been an idea of mine for a while. (Originally, I wanted to make a site called "5thImpressions" which would be reviews after a game had been out for say... 6 months to a year. Kinda saying whether the game had longetivity or if it was just a come and go sorta game)

So, those are the two things I would like to help with. I have a pretty good handle on grammar too, so I can help with a small amount of editing when needed.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

I always liked the original gamesdomain.com's review and 2nd opinion.

For all of 2 articles (I think) Rich had 2 guys writing an opinion piece and someone else trying to refute him/her. Things got out of control fast, but that was fun too.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I'd like a centralized area where we can find links to patches or mods to various games, with a brief description of the mod or a read me for the patch. There are a bunch of old games that I reinstalled where it took me a heck of a long time to find some of the patches. I think we all have some old games that need certain patches to work in WinXP. A nice game mod database would be great too. If I'm not mistaken, Grund was either hosting or had a link to some good System Shock 2 mods. I know I'm waiting till a Babylon 5 mod comes out for Starshatter before I get it and I was even tempted to reinstall Freelancer after hearing about some of the mods available for it. Nothing like a good mod to extend the life of a game and save me some $$$. Okay, so I'll be buying new games anyway but that's not the point! :twisted:

Reviews we can get anywhere and I find the impressions that were posted in the GG forum on the second to third page of an impressions thread to be superior to much of what one can find on those "other" big review sites.:wink: I'd like a source of information for the games I'm already stuck with.

Indie game coverage would be great! I like giving props to the small developers. Some great indie titles which come to mind are wargames such as Combat Mission or Highway to the Reich.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Hmmm, maybe we can ressurect impressions on the first page of impressions threads?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

siljanus wrote:I'd like a centralized area where we can find links to patches or mods to various games, with a brief description of the mod or a read me for the patch.
Perhaps this could be worked into the new version of the Gold Guide. It already had links to the developer's page, the publisher's page, the game's page, the latest patch, and a selection of mod sites.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote:
siljanus wrote:I'd like a centralized area where we can find links to patches or mods to various games, with a brief description of the mod or a read me for the patch.
Perhaps this could be worked into the new version of the Gold Guide. It already had links to the developer's page, the publisher's page, the game's page, the latest patch, and a selection of mod sites.
It's been so long since I looked at the Gold Guide that I had forgotten that it had this info. :oops:

It will be nice to have an up to date guide again, so when someone starts talking up a particular mod or patch off to the guide it goes. Don't know if short mod impressions can also go in the guide or rather a short description of a mod with a link pointing to a review in the forum if one was written? Also, for older games it would also be nice to have tips on how to run them on WinXP along with the relevant patches or workarounds necessary. I don't think that was in the Gold Guide?

Hmm, the possibilities...

As for impressions on page one, lets start slow and easy Peacedog shall we? 8) (what the hell is this smiley? Looks like someone who just committed a crime or committed some licentious act)
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

I've actually been thinking I'd like to write some short game-related content for a while.

The wiki idea is actually a really good one, i think.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

I reviewed games over at www.wickedtoast.com before it went down, and I would be happy to review games for this site.
I have a never published review of Joint Operations just BEGGING to be published somewhere. It is about 4 pages, too, so it is very comprensive.
Whatdya say?
wankerjr

Post by wankerjr »

Peacedog wrote:Hmmm, maybe we can ressurect impressions on the first page of impressions threads?
Blasphem..oh wait..um sure why not? Sounds like a plan to me.
Yet another shameless plug..for something
B Dog

Post by B Dog »

Just wanted to weigh in with support for the efforts to build something new.

I was a semi-regular at GG. I read the boards almost daily, posted a few times a week, traded some games, recently started managing a GGOOTP franchise, and so on.

What kept me coming back were the people. People who seemed to like the kinds of games I liked, had the sense of humor I had, listened to the kind of music I listened to, and were genuinely interested in what other people had to say, think, and offer.

That said, I'd likely tag along no matter where the bulk of ex-GGers ended up. But the idea of a site that is oozes the sensibility of this group of people from top to bottom is too irresistible to pass up.

Sign me up. I'll be happy to contribute in any way I can.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

There were people there? I wish I'd known. I hate people. Let's try not to let them in here, mm-kay?
B Dog

Post by B Dog »

Well, you're off to a good start. :wink:
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Eduardo X wrote:I reviewed games over at www.wickedtoast.com before it went down, and I would be happy to review games for this site.
I have a never published review of Joint Operations just BEGGING to be published somewhere. It is about 4 pages, too, so it is very comprensive.
Whatdya say?
Speaking for only myself, I think you'd be a tremendous asset as a writer. You seem interested in types of games that we want to include in our focus, you're one of the few people who's writings had made it onto the front page of that old site, and I can vouch that you're a wonderful person and some I'd like to work with in the future.

I'd suggest giving us some time to unpack boxes (and figure out our address!) before sending us resumes and content (although there's already a cry for artisitic submissions for review!).

~Neal
neofit

Post by neofit »

siljanus wrote:I'd like a centralized area where we can find links to patches or mods to various games, with a brief description of the mod or a read me for the patch. There are a bunch of old games that I reinstalled where it took me a heck of a long time to find some of the patches.
Sorry for the off-topic, but have you tried [url=ttp://www.patches-scrolls.de/]The Patches Scrolls[/url]?. They have patches dating back to '94 at least, and they are hosting them.
neofit

Post by neofit »

A suggestion/wish. I don't think I saw that one in the meta forum yet and am not sure it deserves its own thread. So:

Any chance we can be rid of the post count? It usually helps to keep the postcount++ posts and people away. For those after some kind of leetness and implicit "respect" there is always the registration date.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

neofit wrote:A suggestion/wish. I don't think I saw that one in the meta forum yet and am not sure it deserves its own thread. So:

Any chance we can be rid of the post count? It usually helps to keep the postcount++ posts and people away. For those after some kind of leetness and implicit "respect" there is always the registration date.
I had thought about floating that idea, but then I realized that when I'm new to a forum, it's nice to look at postcounts to understand who the "regulars" are as an attempt to pick a poster attitude to emulate. I know on some forums (i.e., those with little active moderation) that's not the route to ensuring that folks aren't going to jump your shit, but for the most part that's a good way to ensure you're not going to be seen as the new site asshole.

I don't see a good way to blast post counts *and* to give folks an indication as to which posters set the tone on the board without creating other incentive to spam spam spam. A granular rankings scale: "plebe, poster, prolific, poo-bah" contains even more incentive to spam (if you ask me) than just the simple raw number.

Now if the debate was over whether folks look to the more prolific posters to determine acceptable posting tone, then I think we've got a real doozy of a conversation to be had.

~Neal
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

neofit wrote:
siljanus wrote:I'd like a centralized area where we can find links to patches or mods to various games, with a brief description of the mod or a read me for the patch. There are a bunch of old games that I reinstalled where it took me a heck of a long time to find some of the patches.
Sorry for the off-topic, but have you tried [url=ttp://www.patches-scrolls.de/]The Patches Scrolls[/url]?. They have patches dating back to '94 at least, and they are hosting them.
Cool! Didn't know about them. I'll add it to my collection of links.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Just had an idea. We all know how the forum effect has bitten a lot of us on the ass in the past, and the forum is essentially going to be the centerpiece of the new site anyway. So why not incorporate that unique bit of our community into the game reviews.

My idea consists of taking snippets from the usual impressions threads good, bad or indifferent for the major aspects of a new release. And then posting an overall consensus rating. A forum effect effect rating as you will. Then link the impressions thread to the little "review."

Sure other sites have this consumer rating system, but most of it is a sideshow compared to their main professional review. This would be based on our average forum goer, and give everyone who posts an impression some sort of sense of responsibility for the sites content.

I've read some great impressions on the forum. And from what I have seen there will be more than enough comments on each aspect of the game to put together a good synopsis of what people think on the front page or in a review.

It would be a little work, but it shoudln't be too excessive, as the community will be jointly doing a lot of the work. I think its a great way of pulling the community together.
Ronin

"The Die is Cast"
-Gauis Julius Caesar prior to crossing the Rubicon River against Rome 49 BC
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

I like the idea, but it would require work from staff, and thus, it would require staff :)

Second, how would you decide the Forum Effect rating? Would you count favorable impressions or something?

On the other hand, I like the idea of an Octopod Effect Rating ;)
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Ronin, that's phenomenal, and if it isn't implemented exactly that way, it'll likely be close (with the community given an outlet for making its feeling on games available -- maybe not through forum quotes, but through *some* avenue). We're really leaning towards having a boatload of community input into the front-page/site offerings.

~Neal
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Through the "community game rankings" system. Think Gamerankings.com or Rotten Tomatoes. Only:

1) Only accessable for community members (and by that, I mean people who can use it).

2) They could enter a score and a blurb. A composit (and maybe a blurb that changed periodically) would appear on the Game Guide page, linking back to the CGR page for that game, which would show *all* scores and *all* blurbs.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Well the staff thing will eventually work itself out.

As for the rating system it would probably be a straight numerical positive and negative impressions system. We might have to standardize the impressions a little bit if the work load is too high, but essentially the rating system will work a lot like Rottentomatoes positive/negative reviews rating system.

Blast, PD took the words out of my head. :P
Last edited by Ronin on Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ronin

"The Die is Cast"
-Gauis Julius Caesar prior to crossing the Rubicon River against Rome 49 BC