So why here instead of Console Gold?

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Hrothgar

So why here instead of Console Gold?

Post by Hrothgar »

I don't mean this to be snarky or as any form of insult. I'm seriously interested.

Some, perhaps many, of us aren't likely to actively support more than one forum. I'm under no delusions that anyone is dying to have me here, but I would like to know why this place is, in your opinion, going to be the best place for one stop shopping and the best replacement for the Gone Gold Forums.

Right now CG seems to have the numbers. They have a lot of content and a good content management system. They are established and a respected source of news and reviews with constant new updates on the front page. They have plans to make a database driven game list/trading system. They've been very accommodating to the flood of refugees.

Right now, continuity seems to be the biggest plus here. I'm sure that the positives will grow quickly as you get established.

It looks like a lot of good people from the GGF are trying both forums. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to hear some personal opinions on why this place is where we should settle.

Look, I know building a website from scratch is hard. That's part of what I've been doing this year. Already you have several times the members my little site does, so that should help considerably. The problem is that help and enthusiasm are abundant at first, but then the hard work sets in and real life rears its ugly head. When it's lean here, what will make people stick around?

I'm sorry if this ended up sounding too negative. I'd just love to see the Gone Gold refugees united under one banner. I really don't care which one it is. I don't want the fighting to result in too many casualties.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

My only explanation for why I'm here instead of there is that this feels like home and CG doesn't. CG feels like CG.

CG is good and all, and I'll visit the main site - but the forums just aren't the place for me.

There is no way to NOT have fragmentation here. My only hope is that people end up at a site that they enjoy - whether it's here or there.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

I haven't seen anyone fighting except for RunningMn9 and Whiteboyskim, and that was limp-wristed indian burn fighting. Ron, and the mods here, have handled everything with class so far as I've seen.

That said, I was reading this site when you posted this because I am one of those R & P sewer people, and WBS's exaggerations aside (he certainly wasn't afraid to take a dip in the sewer at GoneGold now and then, I recall) I get the feeling that whatever the CG mods say, they won't be comfortable with talk on more serious subjects that have the potential for conflict. It will inevitably bleed over into their modding style, and the tone of the forum.

I will read CG and post there, just not as much as I will here. It's a good site, and Ron's a good guy.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I think the answer is that different people want different things. We're not interested in being a carbon copy of GG, and I'm pretty sure Ron is not interested in being a carbon copy of GG. If either of us were, then there likely wouldn't be a decision - you just go to the carbon copy of the place you originally liked.

That said, those who prefer what CG is doing will likely make CG their primary home. Those who prefer what we're doing will likely make us their primary home. Most of those will occasionally check out the other site (as I've always done with CG before making a purchase for my GameCube), but some will also be exclusive to one or the other. Some will likely say, "To hell with it all!" and not bother with either site (or try yet another).

It's just change, and change isn't necessarily bad. Maybe the community needed a little shakeup? Maybe this will help to spawn two strong communities? (Or, rather, spawn one strong community, and further strengthen an already strong community.)

I guess I'm thinking - don't look at this like a competition. It's not CG vs. whateverthehellweendupcallingourselves.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I'm under no delusions that anyone is dying to have me here,
I'm not really sure where this came from. Though I'm also not aware of anyone literally dying to have you here.
but I would like to know why this place is, in your opinion, going to be the best place for one stop shopping and the best replacement for the Gone Gold Forums.
Speaking officially, we're not interested in a show-down over who will be the best replacement for the Gonegold Forums. I'm not saying this to dismiss your question, but our goal here is not to out gonegold-replacement-ize the CG forums (or site).
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Well...

I never went to CG before - why would I start going now? I'm not a console gamer, I have no real desire to go to that site... I'm looking for a new place to hang out - this is a new new place that happens to have most of the people I was interested in talking to from the old place, along with a PC centric focus - that's why I'm here.
Raven

Post by Raven »

I was afraid of this.

Now the community has fragmented into two boards, and this sucks for a number of reasons.

First, GG was never a large board to begin with, and now what was a small number of regular posters has been made even smaller.

Two, the confusion of trading. I really valued the GG traders forum, and the feedback list. Now there are two of those feedback list, on two different boards. This is exactly why I suggested someone create a separate traders forum that was not connected to either board. As an example, I've did a trade about two days before GG went down. I'm about to give a rating and hopefully get a rating in return, Now do I post the +1 here or at CG, or both.

I'm seriously bummed that something could not have been worked out.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

PD, I was merely pointing out that the question wasn't a plea for attention on my part. To wit, the question is not about convincing me to stay. I think clearly ennumerating the strengths of this site will help people decide if this place "feels like home" as RM9 puts it.

I can go look and see the strengths and weakness of CG.

I'm sure you'd agree that the GGF was a special place. I'm also pretty sure you're not saying that you don't want to capture some of that (feeling? community?) here.

If you don't like the fighting/showdown analogy, perhaps a product pitch would work better. The question is still valid.
setaside

Post by setaside »

Regarding the Trading Forums, the only real solution I can think of is to treat them as separate entities if you want to trade on both. It IS unfortunate but it's also the only real way to do it without getting completely buried in confusion.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: So why here instead of Console Gold?

Post by Zaxxon »

Hrothgar wrote:I don't mean this to be snarky or as any form of insult. I'm seriously interested.
I don't think anyone will take it as an insult--it's a question that was begging to be asked, and you asked it.
Some, perhaps many, of us aren't likely to actively support more than one forum. I'm under no delusions that anyone is dying to have me here
I'm always up for adding people capable of rational thinking to the community, and your post here shows that you have that ability. Thus while I'm not dying to have you here for any reason in particular, I hope you decide to stay.
I would like to know why this place is, in your opinion, going to be the best place for one stop shopping and the best replacement for the Gone Gold Forums. Right now CG seems to have the numbers. They have a lot of content and a good content management system. They are established and a respected source of news and reviews with constant new updates on the front page. They have plans to make a database driven game list/trading system. They've been very accommodating to the flood of refugees.
CG is a great site, with a strong community following it. With the boost in numbers from the GG discombobulation, they're even stronger. I'll continue to visit, lurk, and post a little; Ron and his staff have done a stellar job of inviting all of us in, and even moving the furniture around to make us more comfortable. For that I commend him.

But CG is CG. It feels like... CG. This site already feels like GG--like home. That's not a knock against CG; as others have said, ConsoleGole has its own identity, and they shouldn't need to worry about giving up that identity to please us GGers.

This site's forums currently have one big advantage over CG's, IMO--all topics are fair game, within reason. While I'm not the most prolific R&P poster, the fact that their discussion is not allowed (or at least is restricted) at CG is a big con for me. I don't have an overabundance of free time, and a 'one-stop-forum-shop' works out better for me. So that's another plus.

Add to that the list of planned additions to this site, and I'm excited to see what happens.
Right now, continuity seems to be the biggest plus here. I'm sure that the positives will grow quickly as you get established.
That's another positive aspect of these forums--a familiar feel.
Look, I know building a website from scratch is hard. That's part of what I've been doing this year. Already you have several times the members my little site does, so that should help considerably. The problem is that help and enthusiasm are abundant at first, but then the hard work sets in and real life rears its ugly head. When it's lean here, what will make people stick around?
It sure is hard. And how this group will respond to that challenge remains to be seen. I have a feeling people will stick it out, and in the end this community will be one that I'm proud to be a part of. And I'll still be following CG. Like Peacedog said, this ain't no competition, yo.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Dang you, Raven! Moving your post on me while I was typing up a response!

Anyway, here's what I was going to say:
Originally posted by Raven:
It's not like we were at an impasse or anything. CG was existing, was doing its thing, and was doing it well. We respect that thing, but it's not what we wanted to do. As the old GG Forum staff talked in the aftermath of the collapse, we got some crazy ideas into our heads about what we would like to do with our own site that we never really had the opportunity to do at Gone Gold. I think it would have been pretty presumptuous of us to ask the CG folks to essentially give us the keys to their site, but asking to become a subservient part of his site wasn't really palatable to us, either (we'd already had experience working on someone else's site without any substantive control).

It's a big ol' internet, and I'm sure our sites can have a friendly, peaceful co-existence (much like CG and GG did previously). There will certainly be some wrinkles to iron out with things like the trading forums, but better to have too many options than none at all.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Raven wrote:I'm seriously bummed that something could not have been worked out.
What exactly do you think could've been 'worked out'?
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Raven wrote:I was afraid of this.

Whatever.

Look, CG is CG. It does what it does very well. The mods over there seem like great folks, and the board over there is nicely set-up.

BUT--for me anyway, I'm used to the way ILB, Peace, MHS, Gedd, et al moderate their boards. I'm not used to the way the CG folk mod theirs. I appreciate them making an effort to accomodate all us new users, but I also realized early on that posting over there, for me, was going to feel like spending the night in my Grandma's guest bedroom. I was afraid that just being my own clumsy self would break the china. I break the china here, and I get slapped by mom. (Or, more precisely, Mod.)

Posting here feels...natural and comfortable to me. That's "why this board and not CG". Not because of anything anyone has done or said at some other board, but because of how I personally feel about posting *here* as opposed to somewhere else.

I wouldn't expect everyone to feel that way. It's a free country. Post at whatever board, (or all boards) you want.
Raven

Post by Raven »

A made a separate thread about trader's forum, which is something I'm obviously concerned about.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

PD, I was merely pointing out that the question wasn't a plea for attention on my part.
I wasn't sure what you meant, but I didn't want you to think that you were for some reason unwelcome (I couldn't imagine what those reasons would be, but my failure to concieve of any isn't indiciative of anything necessarily).
If you don't like the fighting/showdown analogy, perhaps a product pitch would work better. The question is still valid
I didn't address the validity of the question, but I said what I said to make a point clear. We're not here to steal you from CG, or your time from CG, or anything like that. It doesn't matter how you put the analogy.

Now, if you look around in this forum, you might see something you like (there's some mention of things in "What we have planned. . " and "What the heck. . ."). If you want to stay for something you see in there (or some other reason), awesome. If you decide you like CG better, that's cool too.

I'm sure more than a few people will invariably favor one place on the net more than others (I base this on watching a bunch of people mostly make GG their online home). But not everyone will do that. Also, both sites will offer different things.

I don't want to sell you on the site because we're not trying to prove we're the true heir to the throne. If you like what you see here, you are welcome. If not, bygones, and you're still welcome if you ever stop back by.
Odin

Post by Odin »

FWIW, I'm still browsing both boards at the moment, to the extent that I have time. It's a royal pain. My plan is to end up at one board once all the dust has settled and I can see where people have ended up, what sort of domain names are in use, and where the spirit of GG seems the most prevalent.

Sith
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Well...

I never went to CG before - why would I start going now? I'm not a console gamer, I have no real desire to go to that site... I'm looking for a new place to hang out - this is a new new place that happens to have most of the people I was interested in talking to from the old place, along with a PC centric focus - that's why I'm here.
I'm only one guy with one opinion, but I knew I wasn't going to be comfortable at CG. 1) Because I was refugee there. I invaded because I didn't know what else to do. However, this is acutaully less improtant. The important reason for me is that I am a PC gamer and it is a pretty major defining characteristic of who I am, even though I don't play much any more (or at the moment I hope). Console Gold was designed to step away from PC gaming and put the focus on console gaming. It couldn't be home for me. So when I am given the great choice of getting to watch familiar faces build a domicile from the ground up dedicated to a hobby that I have passionate about for over 25 years, I am happy to move here. I consider this to be an exciting opportunity to watch and in a tiny way to participate in.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

>build a domicile from the ground up

this is what i'm most excited about... building a new community out of the remnants of an old one. we have the opportunity to put this together the way we want!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Raven wrote:-

Two, the confusion of trading. I really valued the GG traders forum, and the feedback list. Now there are two of those feedback list, on two different boards.
CG has always had its own, seperate trading forum and feedback list. If you go an look at the copy of -the old GG list that I posted there, I very clearly said that it was temporary, not final, that new entries were not to be added, and that it was there for reference.

The list I posted in the Trading Forum here is open and ready for business. Now we have one active list, and they have one active list - just like it was a week ago before GG went down.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Great question Hrothgar. Glad you asked what lots of people are wondering.

They way I see it, Console Gold has a site. We have an idea. They've shown they can create content. We've shown that we can moderate a forum (at varying levels of acceptance). They're established. We're rebuilding out of rubble. They operate under the vision of one person -- the guy paying the bills. We've got a committee of folks that is basically taking ideas thrown at us and deciding what we want to handle, what we can handle, and how to best put it all together. They're a community. We're a community. There's a huge overlap in those two communities.

There's a whole lot of what they've got right for us to try to emulate. They're absolutely terrific of coming up with grand ideas and then making those grand ideas reality. Personally I think of them like I think of the insane guy who dreamed up Morrowwind. There had to be a heckuva lot of people to skoff and say (out loud or to themselves) "Gah, it'll never happen." They made it happen.

The question is very legit. Why even give this place a chance? Heck, we don't even have a *name* yet!

I doubt your going to find a person to stand up and say, "This place will be better than that place and here's why..." Although you've already had some folks pipe up with their own opinions about where they feel comfortable, the types of topics they think are more appopriate for each forum, etc. I don't think anyone is going to definitively say: Place X WINS and PWNS Place Y.

In essence you're stuck with making a choice. And that choice, for a whole lot of people is going to be "I'm going to both!" But other folks are going to say "I can't handle two places to surf, so let me figure out which one becomes *home* and which one stays on my "places to check in every now and then and look around."

There are some differentiators between the sites. I think (probably because I've spent a lot of time thinking about forums in general) that there is a moderation philosophy difference between how the two forums will be moderated. They're heavier handed and more willing to toss the rubbish when it comes about. Folks have witnessed our philosophy of letting folks self-police and giving the rubbish enough rope to hang itself. I'm not going to declare one philosophy better than the other (although I certainly have an opinion as to which type of forum *I* would rather visit -- other folks are going to have the opposite opinion and they'd be making the right choice for themselves to follow that opinion). Ostensibly the two sites have a difference in focus: we're going to start out working on PC Gaming as our focus, while they're *NAMED* Console Gold. I know that they plan on branching out into the PC Gaming area and if their coverage of Consoles is any indication, they're going to rock the world with their PC Gaming coverage.

I understand that folks will conceive of their own differentiators. Length of the URL they need to type in to get to the site. Color schemes available on the forums. Site layout in general. Whether or not they *like* the people associated with the projects. Which site has more of their friends visiting, or more of the people they're familiar with. Which site has more of the people they *don't* want to interact with. Folks will visit the site they've got the lower member number or the site that makes their teeth whiter. They'll visit the place where they feel a more valuable or integrated member of the community. Folks will visit the site with better server performance or more threads with hotter women in them. I can't come close to even thinking about all the reasons why people who feel the need to choose will end up making their decision. But I'll certainly not try to convince them that their decision is inappropriate, misguided, or generally ridiculous.

Why here? Because this is where you want to be.

~Neal
Jag

Post by Jag »

I think if the BS/OO mods are able to create a good site then people will come, old GGers and new blood that GG wasn't able to attract anymore. I look forward to seeing what develops.

In the end, people will go where they want and stay with the board they like. At this point, I will still visit both boards and get even LESS work done than I did when GG was around.

It's tough having two places to go, but its much better than not having any at all.
Guy Incognito

Post by Guy Incognito »

Kratz wrote:Well...

You aren't a console gamer so consolegold.com isn't right for you? Using that logic, you've blown your cover and now know the true reason you prefer OO.com :shock: Run away!

EDIT: My fear led to typos.
AgtFox

Post by AgtFox »

The Meal wrote:They operate under the vision of one person -- the guy paying the bills.
Just felt the need to reply to this post just to clear the air a bit. CG doesn't operate under the vision of Ron. Yes, he pays the bills, but many of the ideas come from the staff. CG wouldn't be where it is if we didn't have the whole staff working hard to make it work. Ron has been overruled many a time and he counts on us to give feedback and to create our own ideas. It's a group effort much like it is here obviously.
There are some differentiators between the sites. I think (probably because I've spent a lot of time thinking about forums in general) that there is a moderation philosophy difference between how the two forums will be moderated. They're heavier handed and more willing to toss the rubbish when it comes about. Folks have witnessed our philosophy of letting folks self-police and giving the rubbish enough rope to hang itself.
Things aren't as different as you paint here. I think the whole R&P thing post-GG fallout has clouded people's view of the moderation at CG. I've been a moderator at a different site since the late 90s and am now the admin/mod at Console Gold. I've always believed the users can self-moderate themselves and I only have to come in when things go beyond the rules (or the CoC in GG forum terms) or an asshat shows up and something has to be done.

I was strongly against R&P discussions in the CG forum, however I was overruled to a point and Ron has taken over the duty of overlooking those threads...I don't have to worry about them. My personal opinions have obviously clouded some people's idea of our moderation.

The site I modded for earlier did not allow R&P discussion at all. If anything came up it was closed down. The forum grew in numbers and is still a rather large and viable forum community. I have watched other forums I frequent (like GG) split off R&P discussion from their EBG/Off-Topic forum, which is fine with me.

My big problem with adding R&P discussion is that it adds several layers of extra time I have to spend moderating (something I personally don't want to do...I have other things like reviews, discussions in the forums, etc. to take care of and to better use my time for). Adding extra mods is not necessarily the answer either as there at least has to be a built-in trust with any moderators we add to the pool. With you guys you already know each other and have a good group...much akin to the current staff of CG.

Anyway, I've gone long on this, but I just wanted to give a view of at least my moderation beliefs. I believe users can self-moderate themselves by understanding the rules of the board that they are on.

I also echo Meal's assessment that the choice is ultimately up to the users about where they want to go or if they want to be part of all the forums. It's just like the election, you have a choice...however unlike the election you can choose multiple things if you want.
Writer, Console Gold
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Thanks for the clarification, AgtFox. I was *not* trying to speak for your website when I laid out what I saw as the differentiators. Nice to see how you folks see things from your perspectives, too.

FWIW, I had formed my opinions regarding the CG moderating philosophy *WAY* before the R&P discussions had come about. Just wanted to be clear that my opinion wasn't based on some ultra-recent transient event, but over the long-haul of your site.

~Neal
warning

Post by warning »

AgtFox wrote:I also echo Meal's assessment that the choice is ultimately up to the users about where they want to go or if they want to be part of all the forums. It's just like the election, you have a choice...however unlike the election you can choose multiple things if you want.
There are big bucks waiting for the first person who writes a Firefox plugin that lets you simultaneously post on both forums.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I didn't want you to think that you were for some reason unwelcome
Well, your reluctance to answer the question is making me feel a bit unwelcome.
I didn't address the validity of the question, but I said what I said to make a point clear. We're not here to steal you from CG, or your time from CG, or anything like that. It doesn't matter how you put the analogy.
You have raised the validity of the question by refusing to answer it twice.
Now, if you look around in this forum, you might see something you like (there's some mention of things in "What we have planned. . " and "What the heck. . ."). If you want to stay for something you see in there (or some other reason), awesome. If you decide you like CG better, that's cool too.

I'm sure more than a few people will invariably favor one place on the net more than others (I base this on watching a bunch of people mostly make GG their online home). But not everyone will do that.
I looked around before I asked the question. I read those topics. Yet the question was still in the forefront of my mind.

Invariably? Yes, but it's not based on the way the wind blows. It will be based your team's actions.
Also, both sites will offer different things.
Yes, and I asked you to list those differences.
I don't want to sell you on the site because we're not trying to prove we're the true heir to the throne.
So? Sell us on the site because you believe in what you're doing here. Again, it doesn't matter if I stay or go, but it does matter if this place withers on the vine.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Well, your reluctance to answer the question is making me feel a bit unwelcome.
That's not my fault. I don't want you to make some sort of penultimate choice between us and CG. That's how I feel. If you make that, that's ok. It's early in the ballgame for us, very early. A perfectly regitimate and rational response right now is "well, they've got promise and aught else, I'm out of here".

We're chosing between CMS as we speak. We hope to get some semblance of a front page up soon.
You have raised the validity of the question by refusing to answer it twice.
It's a question you are free to ask. I'm not interested in answering it. This isn't a class president election. I'm not offering longer lunch breaks, better parking, and smoking in the boys room. You've seen the ideas that we are planning - do they appeal to you?
I looked around before I asked the question. I read those topics. Yet the question was still in the forefront of my mind.
If you have a question about something specific we are considering, fire away.

Also, if you read those things, you just read some of the differences. I don't know what future changes CG has planned, so if someone those are like ours then I guess there's less differences.
Koz

Post by Koz »

I don't think this site is trying to "sell itself". Right now it's a place where ex-GGers can come and try to create a new forum that has some semblence of the old one. Perhaps over time actual content and the like will be posted, but the community is the main attraction here.

If you need some other justification to be here other than the people, I don't think this is the place for you.

EDIT: I should clarify the "you" above is the royal you, not just Hrothgar.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Perhaps over time actual content and the like will be posted, but the community is the main attraction here.
but not, I hope, just because its a bunch of people who used to hang out at Gonegold. I very much do hope new faces wander by and join the place.

One thing we were doing at the end of Gonegold was trying to put in place some activity for the front page, to help draw eyes to the forums. Just having Bill blogging on the front page kept people ocming in at a considerable rate.

We're looking to that here, but going a little farther on the front page. I recognizr most of the faces here. I'm glad they've stopped by (doubtless, they won't all stay). But this isn't just about gathering some portion of the ex GG community, and then hunkering down. If that makes sense.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

regitimate
I am the last person in the world who should laugh at typos, but :lol: . I am just picturing you say that and it brings a smile to my face.
Jag

Post by Jag »

LordMortis wrote:
regitimate
I am the last person in the world who should laugh at typos, but :lol: . I am just picturing you say that and it brings a smile to my face.
www.engrish.com
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm not too proud to say that that site has entertained me as well.
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

Although some people will be decisive and make their minds outright about which board they'll post on, for many others it's going to be a process of them gravitating to one board or the other as time goes by; this is what I'm doing. I'll be posting on both and see what happens. I'm a PC gamer, and I greatly value the opinions of GGrs (or OOrs.. or BSrs--tehehehe) when it comes to PC games, but I also own all three consoles, so I know I'll value the opinions of CGrs on console games. So I'll be frequenting both boards and let time do its thing. :)

Another thing I must add: I think we should all see this as a brand new beginning. It's probably hard to conceive of it. We can't go on as the 'ghost of GoneGold'. It's gotta be a whole new beginning.
Sponge

Post by Sponge »

I'm not a console gamer. I only want to talk about PC games. I spent 99% of my time at GG in "PC Games by Title" and "Road to Gold" because that's what interests me: PC games.

Cheers.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

We will not be the ghost of GoneGold. A new power is rising. You can feel it in the air. You can taste it on the wind. There is no escape.

The Overlords will Rise!
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

We can't go on as the 'ghost of GoneGold'. It's gotta be a whole new beginning.
Well said. And that's a great picture LR. ;)
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Little Raven wrote:We will not be the ghost of GoneGold.
However, this place is built upon it's community spirit. It's been less than a week and look at how many people are visiting.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B just peed in his pants.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Shouldn't she have just peed in her panties?
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Is that an Octopus or a Leviathan?