URL suggestions

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Rubyeye

Post by Rubyeye »

Another vote for OctopiOverlords.com! Brutesquad.net sounds like someone's side project. The OO sounds like a revolution! It sounds a lot better and seems like it would be more appealing to newcomers. Plus, 00 looks like a sideways eight ..... how many tentacles are on an octopus? you see? It's meant to be!
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

triggercut wrote:And I for one welcome our new octopi overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted forum personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
See... that's the quote from brockman, only it is insect overlords... and I still think that is cooler, but hey, if you all need "reasons" for stuff, fine.

sheesh :roll:

;)
Guy Incognito

Post by Guy Incognito »

+1 in the vote column for OO (which flavor doesn't matter).

Since people have brought up the ant overlord thing with the Simpsons, could always have them duke it out for supreme ruler of earth. (Octopi > Ants)
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Guy Incognito wrote:+1 in the vote column for OO (which flavor doesn't matter).

Since people have brought up the ant overlord thing with the Simpsons, could always have them duke it out for supreme ruler of earth. (Octopi > Ants)
You've got it WRONG!!!!!!!

We're not talking about regular "ants" here. We're talking about

GIANT

SPACE

ANTS.

The pictures from the shuttle spoke for themselves. All that remains is to speculate from our vantage point whether the Giant Space Ants will consume the astronauts, or merely enslave them.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

The Meal wrote:
Peacedog wrote:Oh, and does anyone here think OctopusOverlords rolls off the tong better than OctopiOverlords? I reallything it does. Especially since the correct plural is apparently Octopods.
Octopods and Octopusses are both acceptable plurals. I like OctopusOverlords best of the four just for the reason you've noted -- it is easiest to say.

~Neal
They have told me to tell you that they are willing to negotiate down to "octopusoverlords.com". That's all they would say on the matter.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

HAIL OCTOPI!
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Yeah... this stuff does do polls...

I won't be so bold as to create a poll on this subject though.

Insects are easier to draw than octopi too... hehe
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Hail the OO rulers!

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm all for any variation of OO.com. It certainly does lend itself to oodles of graphical themes.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

beerandpretzels.com
everythingandgaming.com
Odin

Post by Odin »

I imagine it's too late, but I'd like to formally weigh in on the "I hate the OctopusOverlords domain" side of the discussion. Just hate it. I'd prefer brutesquad.net or better yet pcgamesforum.com was just fine with me. OO is just embarassing.

My $.02

Sith
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

The naming issue: I know the origins of the brutesquad and OO legends, but have concerns about naming a site after an inside joke. I myself never felt any connection to either-- but I'm not saying that because I believe that the site should be named after something that I can relate to, but rather because I am concerned that it might put a complete outsider off.

It's a very delicate balance between trying to create something for yourselves, that at the same time will be inviting to outsiders. The single most impressive thing about the gonegold forums was the welcome. I am not a community type of guy, nor am I the type that generally posts in forums. I couldn't resist gonegold though because it everyone was so "welcoming." (so damn friendlly that I've stayed for the better part of four years) However, I never would have found gonegold, were it not for the gonegold part.

My fear is that a site named after something relevant to a select group will not have that same hook. Gonegold existed separate and apart from anything in the forums. Brutesquad.net is being created because of the forums. To me the question that arises is-- is it the intention to create a site that exists only because of the forums, or is the long term goal to create a pc gaming site that has forums founded by people who came together at the outset because they were part of another community.

If it is the latter, I think brutesquad may not be an appropriate choice.

This all may be moot, but just my opinion, from which I can readily be dissuaded.
Last edited by gorham09 on Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Sith Lord wrote:I imagine it's too late, but I'd like to formally weigh in on the "I hate the OctopusOverlords domain" side of the discussion. Just hate it. I'd prefer brutesquad.net or better yet pcgamesforum.com was just fine with me. OO is just embarassing.
Who crapped on your suction cups this morning? :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

It's to be forums + a site with a theme. I don't think not knowing the original backstory will or should turn off anyone who didn't witness it happen originally.

~Neal
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

[quote]The naming issue: I know the origins of the brutesquad and OO legends, but have concerns about naming a site after an inside joke. I myself never felt any connection to either-- but I'm not saying that because I believe that the site should be named after something that I can relate to, but rather because I am concerned that it might put a complete outsider off./quote]

The thing is, the inside joke is just really a small part of it. People seem to focus on that (for obvious reasons), but that will just be a story told on the forums to n00bs.

You need a name with recognition, and one that you can build around thematically. The front page is not going to be an extension of an inside joke, believe me.
Odin

Post by Odin »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Sith Lord wrote:I imagine it's too late, but I'd like to formally weigh in on the "I hate the OctopusOverlords domain" side of the discussion. Just hate it. I'd prefer brutesquad.net or better yet pcgamesforum.com was just fine with me. OO is just embarassing.
Who crapped on your suction cups this morning? :)
Lol! Yeah, I just realized I'm Mr. Negativity in here today. No avatars! No Octopi! Bah humbug!

I'd love to jump on a positive bandwagon, if only I could find one to jump on. One of the things I liked about the GG forums was that they were clean and "professional" looking - especially as compared to so many of the L33T boards you see with these idiotic avatars and foot-high sigs and even more retarded posters all under some stupid domain name. If I can weigh in on the side of reason and help the successor site to GG avoid that, I'd feel like I'd done something worthwhile.

Sith
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Other than a vague remembrance of posts involving crazy huge octopi or squids at GG, I really wasn't in on the octopi overlords thing either.

I just think it's a really funny, really original, and really arresting name.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

especially as compared to so many of the L33T boards you see with these idiotic avatars and foot-high sigs and even more retarded posters all under some stupid domain name.
Because you know there's a good chance we'll go this way.

;)
I just think it's a really funny, really original, and really arresting name.
I do to, and thematically we have the potential to really kick butt with it.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Yeah, from the sound of things I figured it was all but a done deal. I just wanted to weigh in with a Gah! and a plea for common sense just in case there were others out there who felt similarly and weren't speaking up.

If it has to be octopusoverlords, that's fine. I just won't ever tell anyone I go there.

Sith
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

octopuses may be just as, or more, intelligent than even dolphins.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

This coming from somone named Sith Lord. ;)
Odin

Post by Odin »

hitbyambulance wrote:octopuses may be just as, or more, intelligent than even dolphins.
I'm not exactly advocating dolphinoverlords.com either.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

The issue here isn't a lack of common sense, though. There are many great trademarks (famous and less well known) that might seem nonsensical at first.

Xerox anyone?

Who'd have thought Old Man Murray was a good gaming site?
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

My only alternate selection I have would be www.joselima'swife.com

(Go ahead and google away. Mrs. Lima joined her husband onfield at Dodgers stadium earlier this summer while her hubby, a pitcher, sang "God Bless America". Not too many people were looking at Jose, though. To refer to her, um, endowments as "winnebagos" isn't even getting the right picture. Syndicated humor columnist Dave Barry referred to them as "dreadnoughts", and that seems to capture them about right.)

(Oh, and MLB.com actually had a picture of Mr. and Mrs. Lima on field on their homepage for a while that afternoon...until they made an "editorial" decision to crop her out of the pic. Apparently there was some bandwidth issue...)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Does this mean we can get a Octopodopiopusopiodowhatever theme song?

I think the lyrics for Immagrants Song are dying to be remade me Octopus Song

Ah, ah,
We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!

On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be the western shore.

Ah, ah,
We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
How soft your fields so green, can whisper tales of gore,
Of how we calmed the tides of war. We are your overlords.

On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be the western shore.

So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing.

It just has the feel and it even already uses ocean imagry and refers to being overlords. Maybe it's code already...hmm...
Odin

Post by Odin »

In response to MHS's challenge (in IRC) to suggest something else...

Gamegold.net
Gaminggold.net
Gonebeyond.net
Goneplatinum.com

are available. They each carry on part of the old GG legacy, and I'd take any of them over the proposed OO name.

Sith
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Ugh. Image
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

Peacedog- I'm with you on the creative side, but...I'm not very creative, so I tend to think practically. So, while you're already at step C- it's great for being memorable, I'm still trying to figure out how A+B=C. You need the recognition for the name to be memorable.

In other words, I am speculating that if the average gamer types into google "review pc metal marines" and gets two hits:

one for

IM_AN_ASS.com

and the other for

PCGames.com

I would venture a guess that they are more likely to click the second one. [Ducks while the crazy creative types scream that they would click IM_AN_ASS 99 out of 100 times with the 100th time being an accident] I wouldn't want to close off meeting some potentially very nice folks as a result of having an unusual name. I am highlighting extreme examples- one on the odd side and the other on the boring side.

Gonegold hit the nail on the head because it wasn't generic yet at the same time it had purpose. The name referenced a part of the pc gaming process. I don't envy you having to choose a name- it's hard to catch lightning in a bottle as they say, but I hope the "powers that be" step back from the current community to decide whether the name that is chosen will foster what they envision.

[On a totally unrelated note, this new forum software is neat, but do any of these things have spell checkers? I would kill for a spell checker]
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Google doesn't give a list of two, though.

putergames.com
pcgames.com
gamers.com
games.com
thesegames.com
thosegames.com
gamehere.com
gamethere.com
octopusoverlords.com

When you have ten of the same thing, and one is unique, it catches attention. There's the other side of it - brand recognition.

Once they have googled thesegames.com and read their review, the next time they google they won't remember that they were at thesegames.com. They'll just remember that they were at some site with 'games' in the name. It is tough to build a reputation that way.

You're right, though - at first, we'll likely receive less hits as a result of an imaginative name. After we build a reputation and become recognized, though, the distinctiveness of the name will become a huge advantage over all the clone sites.
Odin

Post by Odin »

OR, people will just think of it as the cool site with the dumb name.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sith Lord wrote:OR, people will just think of it as the cool site with the dumb name.
Yeah, but in able to do that they'll have to think of it. At that point, we've already won.
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

Blackhawk, I see the point but I'm not sure I agree. I used to enjoy visiting gamespot quite a bit back in the day, (don't enjoy it all now) and had no trouble remembering it.

Moreover, quite honestly, I am not in any way advocating a generic name, I just think the current two names may lean a bit towards the opposite end of that spectrum. As I hinted before, gonegold was anything but generic.

On a completely and totally subjective note (and hopefully without offending anyone-I've always thought of this community as a place to help, not pick fights), I think the two names of choice are juvenile. As someone else mentioned Gonegold always had a more "adult" feel to it.

Won't stop me for a minute from making the site my homepage though- I'll just never say the name out loud :) (It will be like Beetlejuice to me)

[edit: I really need a spell checker]
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Wasn't Brutesquad a game?
setaside

Post by setaside »

Yes it was, created by Joel Mathis of Gone Gold and starring Peacedog, ImLawBoy, JoeyJazz, setaside, Simon, Napoleon and many many many more.

I've still got it somewhere in this room. :)
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

They each carry on part of the old GG legacy, and I'd take any of them over the proposed OO name.
We aren't carrying on the GG legacy. We couldn't carry on the GG legacy if we wanted to. We want nothing to do with that.

Sites with "game" in the name are a dime a hundred.
o, while you're already at step C- it's great for being memorable, I'm still trying to figure out how A+B=C. You need the recognition for the name to be memorable.
So all trademarks & the like start out having recognition? As a matter of fact, they don't. Also, we're being practical.
I would venture a guess that they are more likely to click the second one. [Ducks while the crazy creative types scream that they would click IM_AN_ASS 99 out of 100 times with the 100th time being an accident] I wouldn't want to close off meeting some potentially very nice folks as a result of having an unusual name. I am highlighting extreme examples- one on the odd side and the other on the boring side.
Well, I don't see any connection with IM_AN_Ass.com and our potential name(s).

Also, if someone won't come here because our name isn't something inane like GamingXtreme, I've no problem with that. No skin off my back.
but I hope the "powers that be" step back from the current community to decide whether the name that is chosen will foster what they envision.
While the support for octopusoverlords is certainly something we're looking at, I believe it was we that came up with the name (but I might be wrong about that). It's definately got potential.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I did use "octopusoverlords.com" as an example of a "brand name" (as opposed to "site mission") URL. After I had thought about it for a few minutes, I actually decided I liked it enough to propose it seriously. It was almost stillbirth among staff, but got a recent revival here with the community.

~Neal
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Peacedog wrote:
They each carry on part of the old GG legacy, and I'd take any of them over the proposed OO name.
We aren't carrying on the GG legacy. We couldn't carry on the GG legacy if we wanted to. We want nothing to do with that.
I hope that the forums, at least, will carry on it's spirit.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Sith Lord wrote:In response to MHS's challenge (in IRC) to suggest something else...

Gamegold.net
Gaminggold.net
Gonebeyond.net
Goneplatinum.com

are available. They each carry on part of the old GG legacy, and I'd take any of them over the proposed OO name.

Sith
Those are four pretty unmemorable, generic and sterile-sounding url's.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

If the marketing types are to be believed, then it's all about branding. Even presidents are getting in on the action. You have to create a brand, and stick with it. Even if you initially take a hit, if you're memorable, it pays off in the end.

OctopusOverlords.com is really quite brilliant. Yes, it's an inside joke, and hardly anyone will get it. (though to the few who do, it's golden) But that's not really what's important about it. Mostly, it's very distinct. It comes prepackaged with it's own symbol, one that it not likely to be confused with anything else in the industry. It has a great acronym, which is also memorable and distinct. The graphics practically write themselves. And as the topping on the cake, it offers a nearly unlimited number of ways to hook the theme into the site. RM9's ideas about awarding games with tentacles is a great start.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

And if I may step in...
Peacedog wrote:
Except, of course, that we'd like to maintain the GG forum community, or at least give folks the option to visit a forum that is moderated in that same spirit.
Sites with "game" in the name are a dime a hundred.
Very much agreed.
o, while you're already at step C- it's great for being memorable, I'm still trying to figure out how A+B=C. You need the recognition for the name to be memorable.
So all trademarks & the like start out having recognition? As a matter of fact, they don't. Also, we're being practical.
Hold up, Peacedog. I think you're jumping the gun. What's being said is that we seem to be farther along in the thought-process. We've thought about Site-Mission vs. Brand-Name URLs and have already decided to go with those with Brand-Name recognition. That doesn't mean that gorham09 is on the same page, nor does it imply that he grants us that unique (and it's memorability) trumps recognition.
Well, I don't see any connection with IM_AN_Ass.com and our potential name(s).
Meaning OO or BS (or whatever gets selected) doesn't inherently cry out that we're a bunch of surly pricks that nobody would want to deal with. It (well, they) *is* unique and it *doesn't* scream out PC GAMING SITE AHEAD! but we're counting those things as both pros and cons.
Also, if someone won't come here because our name isn't something inane like GamingXtreme, I've no problem with that. No skin off my back.
I don't think that's the thought, though. I think the thought is to select an URL which won't filter out folks from making that first click in the first place. My counter is that we shouldn't pick an URL that sounds like any of 20 others which may show up on that search page giving us an equal shot at being one of 5% of the potential clicks. I don't think having a unique non-gaming related URL is going to cost us possible clicks.
but I hope the "powers that be" step back from the current community to decide whether the name that is chosen will foster what they envision.
While the support for octopusoverlords is certainly something we're looking at, I believe it was we that came up with the name (but I might be wrong about that). It's definately got potential.
[/quote]

And I just responded to that. I was the jackass who initially floated the name (after discouting using www.drunkandinthebutt.com as my example URL), but after seeing it typed out, I started thinking about it, and after I started really thinking about what it'd mean for a site theme, I started liking it...

~Neal