URL suggestions

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Break

Post by Break »

Peacedog said:
You need a name with recognition, and one that you can build around thematically. The front page is not going to be an extension of an inside joke, believe me.
I would like some assurance that the lime green speedo will not be making an appearance on the front page :)

As much as it makes me laugh, we shouldn't subject people to it.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

if you go with Octopi Overlords ... that would make this here forum the Octopi Overlords' Garden. I don't know about the rest of you but I'd like to be under the sea ...
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

As long as it's in the shade.

See? OO just lends itself to being used for a variety of...stuffs.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Gromit wrote:Don't be sorry, Sith. Be vanilla in your choice.

I won't hold it against you. ;)
Yeah, I wasn't really sorry. Just being polite. :P
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

OctopusOverlord.com

I think I like the non-plural better.
And for all you naysayers:

Octopods are nice! 8)
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Sith Lord wrote:Sorry if you're only interested in tyrannical seafood, but ...
Oh mama, if we *do* end up with OctopusOverlords.com, I definitely want to incorporate "tyrannical seafood" into our mission statement (and/or my tag!). Sweetness!

~Neal
Koz

Post by Koz »

I was just thinking, www.tyrannicalseafood.com ... not too shabby.

I like the sound of forumeffect.com, but it's still plain and I'd much rather prefer a name with some pizazz.

Also, unless someone here took it, forumeffect.com is already taken (there's a .net though)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I like tyranicalseafood as well and I am not sure why. It might be that is sounds much less like an inside joke and more like a timeless peculiarity. It is an inviting stange name of curiosity.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Gah, I appear to be making things worse. :(
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Gah, I appear to be making things worse.
worse.......or better?

Can you tell the new Invader Zim came out this week? I even bought a piggy for my Halloween costume when I picked up the DVD...and now I am off to get snacks.
Guy Incognito

Post by Guy Incognito »

LordMortis wrote:I like tyranicalseafood as well and I am not sure why. It might be that is sounds much less like an inside joke and more like a timeless peculiarity. It is an inviting stange name of curiosity.
The OO or TyranicalSeafood both work for me. OO is blatant while TS is more subtle. Either will amuse me sufficiently

I am easily amused though, the :shock: smiley keeps cracking me up. Reminds me of an episode of the Family Guy where Y2K ruined the world and Peter ate a years worth of dehydrated food. Aftwards he drank some water and balooned up, the :shock: was the look on his face as he said "Everyone leave the room NOW, I have to poop."
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Tyrannical Seafood is a great phrase. Not so good as band names go, though.

Also, I should point out that even with a theme, there are so mnay ways to go with that theme visually it isn't even funny. I mean, what if we go vaguely lovecraftian? Nothing juveline about that. Unless you're talking about plush Cthulhu, who is so soft and cuddly. Yet unspeakably terrifying.

Well, I guess that's not juvenile, per se.
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Which reminds me....DAMN, I need a Plush Cthulhu!
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Hmmm....this makes me think.

OctopusOverlords sounds like we've already submitted to our inky masters. TyrannicalSeafood sounds like we are some kind of resistance movement.

I know which one my masters would approve of.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Everyone needs plush cthulhu. If we ever make any sort of money through advertising, the first giveaway we do will be a plush cthulhu. This I swear.

Also, if we go brutesquad, it will definately be thebrutesquad.com.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I won't be hitting the convention next weekend, so I can't pick up a plush Cthulhu. I ended up seeing some old friends from way back at the bar last night and now I am completely committed to seeing the Cramps and going to the annual Halloween party. Remind me in January. I haven't missed my January Con in 20 years.
adumir

Post by adumir »

If only...if ONLY...
we could wrap the same basic site content with two different graphic styles and use BOTH urls: Then you have the evil Octopus Overlords and the rebellious Brutesquad, resisting the pseudopodal rulers. Suddenly, there's a site fiction and a cool "gimmick" to set the site apart from the sea of others.

Probably too overblown to work, certainly when there is a need to only bite off what can be chewed in the beginning, but it's fun thinking of counterpointed reviews of game titles on both "sites" that are cross-referenced with one another. The forums would be unified and no-one would be referred to as an Oc or a Brute - that's fiction. We're just gamers with imagination and a sense of fun.

Octopus Overlords: Tentacles in the Works
The Brutesquad: Saving the World by playing games!
Christopher
Resident Kieslowski and Jennifer Jason Leigh obsessive
"Obviously, I need more merlot..."
Koz

Post by Koz »

Warcraft IV: Octopi vs. Brutesquad
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

The problem with the brutesquad idea is how do you represent that graphically? Have a bunch of Glen Danzig looking dorks standing around looking mean? It's a MUCH more complex concept, graphically, to begin with, but one that has less potential for overall themes... whereas you go octopus, you've got a whole ocean of shit you can mess with, you can blend stuff from different people more easily... it lends itself better to iconic representation... just my thoughts... and why I've been drawing lots of octopussy the last 2 days... :)
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Last edited by Dirt on Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy Incognito

Post by Guy Incognito »

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Kratz wrote:And I think the mods should be referred to as 'Octopussies'.
Actually if we went with the backstory I envisioned, the moderators would actually become "minions." Not sure about the administrators -- "henchmen" or something?

I, of course, picture our OO's as being like Robin Masters in Magnum PI. Always behind the scenes and never actually revealing themselves...

~Neal
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Actually if we went with the backstory I envisioned, the moderators would actually become "minions." Not sure about the administrators -- "henchmen" or something?
Funny, I would think of you more like wormtounged thralls.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Dirt

Post by Dirt »

The Meal wrote:
Kratz wrote:And I think the mods should be referred to as 'Octopussies'.

I, of course, picture our OO's as being like Robin Masters in Magnum PI. Always behind the scenes and never actually revealing themselves...

~Neal
Wouldn't the Moderators be the tentacles? If someone is naughty, the tentacles will slash out and slap the perpetrator.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Who let this thread slip? :)

/Image
Odin

Post by Odin »

:cry:
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

Much though it pains me to admit it :wink: the whole OctopusOverlords theme is starting to grow on me. I blame it entirely on Neal, whose comparison to Magnum P.I. (which just happens to be what I consider the greatest television show of all time) has caused me to see things in a whole difffernt light. 8)
Guy Incognito

Post by Guy Incognito »

The future is now:

http://www.sw.riverview.wednet.edu/STAF ... 20Zach%20-% (copy/paste because this won't display right)

OO!
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

There will be more discussion on this...but I want to start fleshing out my argument now.

OctopusOverlords: The name is flashy and fun. I can see a lot really awesome graphics and t-shirts, tons of themes and offshoots (or should I call them tentacles)? I have real problems with it as long-term site identity. Remember, this will be THE commercial and internet identity of the site forever. We don't want this endeavor to be a temporary thing. It will have to start off limited, of course, but we already have a very solid base of users, so there is a LOT of potential.

I have issues with this name when it comes to sitting down and doing business with someone to support the site or bring new content here, or even to put our content somewhere else (can anyone remember what happened to Gone Gold when Rich's Upcomming Releases list started being published in gaming magazines?)

TheBruteSquad.com: It's not as flashy or fun on the surface, but I think we can develop a very strong theme around it. We have a "squad" of people who will be submitting content for this site. It's not an individual endeavor. As for graphics, my initial thoughts was a cartoonish sketch of 3 muscled, fit (2 guys, 1 gal) standing in echelon (one up front the other two slightly behind and turned slightly out). They'd be loaded up with FPS looking guns and gadgets with lime-green colored accessories.

An alternative/mirror is several geeky-looking people with a bunch of computer gadgets or loaded up with those same weapons used above...I'd really have to see some artists' renditions to see what we could come up with.

I think this name has legs. It's not a sprinter, but a long-distance runner.

Try it out on your family and friends, or just someone on the street: I think I'd rather ientify myself with a web site called TheBruteSquad.com rather than OctopusOverlords.com. I just think it's a better name...that said, we have OO registered, and we can certainly have some fun with it.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

It's beginning to sound futile for anyone to post anymore names. Methinks Brutesquad or OO is going to be it.
Guy Incognito

Post by Guy Incognito »

In my searching of pics I came across a picture of Doc Ock which is sufficiently geeky in my mind.

Still in the OO camp, I'm sure with the creative people around here someone could come up with some awesome ideas
Azhure

Post by Azhure »

Personally I really dislike Brutesquad, as a female gamer I can't imagine I would ever have clicked on a link to a site with that name. Octopus Overlords is better, at least it sounds like something fun.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Octopus Overlords is a bit of a mouthful to say isn't it?

Hmmm... Maybe we can make the Abbreviation of it OctO? That'll work.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Still makes me think of Hentai.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Not that I would know anything about that.