or
dork-gamer.com
or
game-dork.com
or
game-dorks.com
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Hehehe. Actually, we grabbed www.brutesquad.net.

It's ours now, but won't kick in for a few days most likely.

Let me note that if someone coms up with something stellar, we'd probably grab it, though.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

You guys don't think that is a little too... movie tied? I would think it should reflect the content of the site...
CSL

Post by CSL »

Besides #gg has exclusive ownership of the Brutesquad name.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We will likely be building a visual theme around the name that will help to tie things together. (And when I say "we," I mean "other people who actually have some sort of artistic talent, and are not me.") It's definitely an odd way for a gaming focused site to start out, but it gives us a link back to our history, and once we get established (hopefully), I think it will be a memorable name. After all, there are gaming sites out there called Old Man Murray, Voodoo Extreme, and Blues News.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Damn. I already put www.octopioverlords.com in my favorite list.

I have no idea what this brute squad is all about, so I don't know what to say about that. It's not like the domain name is going to run me off. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Ooo, let's have robots!
setaside

Post by setaside »

RunningMn9 wrote:Damn. I already put www.octopioverlords.com in my favorite list.

I have no idea what this brute squad is all about, so I don't know what to say about that. It's not like the domain name is going to run me off. :)
That was our second choice RM. It was close but I think we eventually agreed that brutesquad just rolled off the tongue easier.

If the art considerations go as planned, I think it will be VERY cool.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

ILB said it. Read the review list on today's Blue's News. You'll see the following:

Gamezilla
GameZone
VIA Gamers
Gaming NExus
My Guy Games
Game Over
Games Xtreme
Access Gamer
GameCaptain
Gameplanet NZ
Gamespy
Gaming Nexus
Gamer's Hell
Gaming Illustrated

...and that is just the ones from today. Anything, no matter how imaginative we could come up with that was purely descriptive would just disappear right into the middle of that list.

Brutesquad is distinctive, it flows well, and, most importantly, it is very, very memorable. At first people won't know what it is. In time, however, as they see it here and there, they will come to associate it with gaming, specifically with our personal flavor of gaming and, unlike the sites listed above, they will actually remember it.

This is going to be a vital, living site with things going on that will attract people to it. Being remembered and recognized from out of the crowd is important.
knob

Post by knob »

I don't know, Brutesquad doesn't have the same ring to it as GoneGold. And I'd hate refering to the site as "BS".

I don't really have other suggestions though. Maybe it's just early padding.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Though I'm still not sure we shouldn't have gone with OctopusOverlords.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

I think OctopusOverlords is better for sure... brutesquad is pretty damned cheesy, imho... do you really want your site to be associated with the favorite movie of high school freshmen?

But maybe some time should be taken to think about it before snapping up any more crappy URLs. :p
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Do not knock the Princess Bride! I liked it as a Sophomore! (perhaps that is fitting).
knob

Post by knob »

Kratz wrote:I think OctopusOverlords is better for sure... brutesquad is pretty damned cheesy, imho... do you really want your site to be associated with the favorite movie of high school freshmen?

But maybe some time should be taken to think about it before snapping up any more crappy URLs. :p

I agree. There's no rush. Pcgamesforum.com is good enough for us GGers to get settled in. No point rushing anything. I think the whole idea, if it all works out and (No offense to GG) it's actually updated fairly regularly.

I wonder if we could ever get it as popular as GG once was.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Is octopus overlords just a simpsons reference?

If so, I would prefer insectoverlord.com, in reference to Homer in space, which is goddamned funny, AND would open up a literaly metric shit-TON of thematic possiblities, eh?

Ooo, I like it more the more I think of it - and I brought backup!
<Darkfyre> insectoverlords.com
<Darkfyre> got a nice ring to it
<Darkfyre> I am in support!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You already know what the Octopi Overlords want.

And I'm not convinced Peacedog isn't one of them.

Who here has met him? How many arms does he have?

That's what I thought.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Valael wrote:And I'd hate refering to the site as "BS".
That would almost be poetic, no?

We would all become BSers. Which is funny cuz it's true. :)

NOTE: In all honesty, I like having the old RM9 back. It's been many a moon since I could just run around trying to be an amusing ass instead of trying to educate people on the ills of overpopulation and threat characterizations. Maybe I should stop reading and start playing games again? :)
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Kratz wrote:Is octopus overlords just a simpsons reference?
That's actually something I've never been quite sure about. How the Octopi overlords worked their way into GoneGold lore.

I've joked for years about Smoove_B's irrational fear of octopi, and one day he started posting stories about octopi doing crazy shit (on land). And we all mocked him and started talking about our overlords. Whether the Octopi had already penetrated GoneGold by the time we arrived, I don't know.
Make up bags of change
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Ah, so there is actually some sort of additional story there...

Well... I still like insectoverlords.net or insectoverlord.com better. :)

Think of all the bugs you could have crawling around the site!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

OCTOPUSES CAN CRAWL ON LAND, AS WELL AS SCALE WALLS.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

We will likely be building a visual theme around the name that will help to tie things together
Did you get permission to use Joel's hi-res video game?

I don't know, Brutesquad doesn't have the same ring to it as GoneGold. And I'd hate refering to the site as "BS".
Not a fan of the name either. Too much history, but now that you mention the initials are BS, I'm strangely much more attracted to it.
You already know what the Octopi Overlords want.

And I'm not convinced Peacedog isn't one of them.

Who here has met him? How many arms does he have?

That's what I thought.
And I hear tell that you still protest that you might not be a woman. Now I'd be quiet if I was you, before you wake one morning on the back of a milk carton.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

www.octopioverlords.com...

Heh. Classic. :D
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I don't know if it's too late, but I'm going to second a note for OctopiOverlords.com in case it isn't.

As you say, the most important thing is that it be memorable. I think either BruteSquad or OctopiOverlords.com fits that bill. Neither has anything to do with gaming so other considerations come first.

But OctopiOverlords has 2 important things going for it.
  • A better abbreviation. Yes, I know this seems silly, but consider how much we used GG. OO is much, much better than BS, even if BS is remarkably fitting for some of us. :wink:
  • The graphic possibilities simply sell themselves, though I grant I haven't seen what you guys have been pondering for BruteSquad. :D
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Just as part of one last sales pitch for OctopiOverlords (they're making me do it).

If we do have reviews (and honestly I would really like to see some sort of mechanism to enable community reviews and compilations of ratings to tell me what to think about games) - this gives us a differentiating factor.

Sure - other organizations can give out 0 to 5 stars (meh), or a number from 1 to 10 (blech) - or even worse the dreaded, arbitrary 1-100 index (gasp!). But how many other sites would be able to bestow between 1 and 8 TENTACLES to show their approval or disapproval for a game.

And then - there would be "the picture". Should a game be so craptacular that we wouldn't even touch it with ONE of our tentacles - we could assign that game the picture of that octupus blasting that poor chap in the face with his evil octopi juice.

And we could grant particular games the "Platinum Tentacle" - which would be our highest honor.

Endless octopi goodness (at least according to them).
Make up bags of change
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yes, but think of the 'tentacles!' jokes. Think of the children!
Snow

Post by Snow »

So what is the Brute Squad reference? A Google search just brings up the whacky Brutesquad.com and some Counterstrike clans :)

I think OO has more of a memorable ring and lots of potential fun and original themes. Anyways, as an admin, who could resist being known as The OctopiOverlord?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

To me, OctopusOverlords.com (or OctopiOverlords.com) compared to BruteSquad.net

1. Sounds more fun,
2. Ends with a .com,
3. Lends itself to much better graphics,
4. Is more differentiating as it does not lean on The Princess Bride (although it may be an ultra-obscure Simpsons reference?),
5. Shortens comparably to our old site's initials,
6. Does not remind me of a former site member who committed suicide a few months ago,
7. Refers to a more recent "in-joke" from the community, an in-joke which was active as opposed to a call-back to an in-joke of years gone by, and
8. Comes with a cool site backstory (as it's the overlords pulling our strings and making us come up with this site...).

Hmmm, eight points. Odd.

I think www.octopioverlords.com would be tentacular!

~Neal
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I think the minions have spoken.

We want our Octopi Overlords! :D
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

We are thinking seriously of getting OO in some form, so keep throwing comments at us. One good thing about it, we can have a section detailing how Octopods will take over the world in 20 million years.

Also, we can touch on the lovecratian themes, for fun. OTOH, if we stay Brutesquad, a logo of 3 geeks holding computer equipment and looking wimpy would be cool. Because irony is cool, just ask the British.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The Brutesquad started as a story, IIRC, by Simon about a misreable attempt to go to check on Rich the first time he diasappeared for a length of time and we got concerned. It was then that we discovered that a good deal of our patrons stand well above 6 feet and sit at over 200 pounds. (I came in tiny at 6'2" and 250ish at the time) The gag was further developed into a basic TBS by Joel Mathis (than GG admin at the time) Other pieces of trivia that were pulled from that particular piece of GG history were the uniform of the Brutesquad, that being the lime green speedo and notion of missing a plumb sized nut. (don't ask)
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Hoorah - OctopiOverlords!
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Oh, and does anyone here think OctopusOverlords rolls off the tong better than OctopiOverlords? I reallything it does. Especially since the correct plural is apparently Octopods.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Also, we can touch on the lovecratian themes, for fun. OTOH, if we stay Brutesquad, a logo of 3 geeks holding computer equipment and looking wimpy would be cool. Because irony is cool, just ask the British.
Yay Lovecraft! Ia shubba rubba!

And irony is cool. I'm not even Brittish and I know that. Though with a last name like Thaxton I can pretend I am Brittish pretty easily.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Peacedog wrote:Oh, and does anyone here think OctopusOverlords rolls off the tong better than OctopiOverlords? I reallything it does. Especially since the correct plural is apparently Octopods.
Octopods and Octopusses are both acceptable plurals. I like OctopusOverlords best of the four just for the reason you've noted -- it is easiest to say.

~Neal
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Eek. I actually didn't know the full origins of the Brutesquad. But if, in fact, it dealt with a joke about finding Rich when he fell of the face of the earth, then I think that's a huge negative when it comes to choosing a name for our new home.

I mean, Rich has made it pretty damn clear he wants out. Whether you feel resentment or sympathy over what he did, it seems like the last thing anyone would want is a site name based on a joke about hunting him down. If there's anything about the old site we want to leave behind, surely it's that mess.

Plus, while three geeks logo sounds kind of cool, Brutesquad just doesn't offer the loads and loads of graphical hooks that the octopus theme does. You'll just never run out of ways to include cephalopods in the fun.

edit: I think I'll actually back octopusoverlords.com over one of the plurals because it's easier to say and spell.
Last edited by Little Raven on Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Peacedog wrote:Oh, and does anyone here think OctopusOverlords rolls off the tong better than OctopiOverlords?
Yes.

And I think the mods should be referred to as 'Octopussies'.

EDIT: Oh, and I actually would prefer OctopusOverlord - no plural. Sound wise, anyway.
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

I tend to agree with Kratz.

gamingassholes.com still is cool too though :D
Lots of picture possibilities for that one too.

(This game sucks! It only gets ONE ANUS!)
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Question: could we fashion a speedo with eight holes for tentacles? An octopus wearing a lime green speedo is tremendously appealing.
MHS

Post by MHS »

rrmorton wrote:Question: could we fashion a speedo with eight holes for tentacles? An octopus wearing a lime green speedo is tremendously appealing.
....kinky.... :wink:
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

And I for one welcome our new octopi overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted forum personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.