URL suggestions

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

I like the OctopusOverlords name... however the Kent Brockman joke is a little tired at this point (and this is someone who uses "Mr. Sparkle" as his alias)... and a little, uhm, "Slashdot".

That's my only reservation...

EDIT: In essence you are naming your site after a variation on an internet meme... which is sweet... until people get tired of it.
Odin

Post by Odin »

triggercut wrote:
Sith Lord wrote:In response to MHS's challenge (in IRC) to suggest something else...

Gamegold.net
Gaminggold.net
Gonebeyond.net
Goneplatinum.com

are available. They each carry on part of the old GG legacy, and I'd take any of them over the proposed OO name.

Sith
Those are four pretty unmemorable, generic and sterile-sounding url's.
Yup. There's no question that in the spectrum that ranges from generic/sterile to fantastical/juvenile, I'm positively leftist. Regardless of how distinctive and original OO is, it's a ridiculous and embarrassing name. For the gonegold community to move from a site that went to great lengths to be professional-looking to a site with such an asinine name just strikes me as... odd.

I think when you're trying to start something new and make a mark, it's easy to come up with something tongue-in-cheek and rally around it because it seems fun and cool. Yes, it will be easy to get octopod-headsucker graphics for the site, but in the big picture it's going to bring a high-schoolish vibe to the site that certainly isn't what I'm used to or looking for (and this coming from someone who posted/read almost exclusively in EBG).

Sith
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Oh, and I should note that this is not decided, so discussion should continue.

Actually, the Brockman thing is only tangentally related, since we had an actual discussion on this based on some very theoritical predictions about life on the planet in like 30 million years. I'm just saying, I mean. ;)
If the marketing types are to be believed, then it's all about branding.
Remember, marketers are never to be trusted, because they're just trumping up statistics to help them keep their jobs. ;)

But one thing I will say is that the site itself will ultimately make or break whatever we settle on as a domain name. We could come up with the best name ever, and if the site doesn't prove interesting/useful/whatever, it won't matter.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Peacedog wrote:But one thing I will say is that the site itself will ultimately make or break whatever we settle on as a domain name. We could come up with the best name ever, and if the site doesn't prove interesting/useful/whatever, it won't matter.
Of course. Having a cool name on a web site is like going into a test with several nice, sharp pencils. It helps just a little bit, but if you don't know your material you're still going to fail.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

It was almost stillbirth among staff, but got a recent revival here with the community.
I disagree, it wasn't stillborn. Though BS did get more favor early, and then was initially selected, of course. I think it festered in more than a few minds besides your own. It did mine. I never wieghed in on the BS choice, as at the time I could live happily with either one. We did rush this as much as we could. Maybe that slowed down the creative thought processes of some people. Or maybe it was the moon.

Or the Octopus Overlords!!! (sorry)
I think you're jumping the gun. What's being said is that we seem to be farther along in the thought-process. We've thought about Site-Mission vs. Brand-Name URLs and have already decided to go with those with Brand-Name recognition. That doesn't mean that gorham09 is on the same page, nor does it imply that he grants us that unique (and it's memorability) trumps recognition.
I don't think I'm jumping anything (gun, shark, whathaveyou). The fact is there are plenty of examples of trademarks and domain names that made no sense whatsoever to start with, relative to whatever they were attached to. That's an important point. They don't come ready made to create brouhaha in some way shape or form, usually (be it uniqueness *or* clear intent of purpose).

And I should have made it more clear, but I thought "IM. . ." was a poor example for the argument because of the obvious stigma attached with it (that stigma no doubt being l33t gamerz).
I think the thought is to select an URL which won't filter out folks from making that first click in the first place. My counter is that we shouldn't pick an URL that sounds like any of 20 others which may show up on that search page giving us an equal shot at being one of 5% of the potential clicks. I don't think having a unique non-gaming related URL is going to cost us possible clicks.
Well, if someone is "put off" by OO (or even BS), I say so be it. If we actually take off in some way shape or form (and that's certainly getting way ahead of things, in a nice vague way), I think this won't be much of a factor. If we don't, I don't think this will be much of a factor (again, I'll blame it on failed front page).

Now, maybe it will be. But it seems too me (unexpert opinion warning) we'll need to get off to a very strong word of mouth start before something like that can start mattering (which, maybe we will do that. Woo!).

I think when you're trying to start something new and make a mark, it's easy to come up with something tongue-in-cheek and rally around it because it seems fun and cool. Yes, it will be easy to get octopod-headsucker graphics for the site, but in the big picture it's going to bring a high-schoolish vibe to the site that certainly isn't what I'm used to or looking for (and this coming from someone who posted/read almost exclusively in EBG).
See, I think how we actually conduct business (so to speak) on the front page will determine how juvenile we are. Not the actual name.

Now, we could themeatically go in a direction that does suggest juvenile. But we needn't. That's hardly something that is set in stone.
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

Peacedog-

I think you are taking the things I posted out of context, I am not trying to criticize or judge, I am just sharing an alternative viewpoint. I can't tell context from typed words, but your response worried me a bit.

First, I don't really understand the trademark reference. Some trademarks are recognizable because the underlying products were unique: velcro; others because they describe the product: dry ice, shredded wheat; and yet others, probably because, indeed, they are downright wacky.

Second, unless I am a brilliantly subtle writer, I had no intention of suggesting that you or anyone was not being/thinking practcially- if I conveyed that, I apologize.

Third, I thought I made it clear that I am not suggesting that a name be generic- nor even that it have any specific reference to gaming in it.

Fourth, I wasn't suggesting that the two names out there have any connection to IM_AN_ASS- not my intent at all. I even said in that post that I used two extreme examples from different ends of a spectrum. The point being, that one specific example doesn't in any way, shape or form imply a connection to gaming. That doesn't mean that the word game has to be in a sitename.

Finally, the point about gamers clicking one link over another, was just a suggestion that perhaps a name that's too unique won't allow people to recognize that there is a great gaming community (with some people that I wish I could have as neighbors) hiding underneath all these tentacles.

I freely recognize that choosing a site name is not easy. I haven't thrown a suggestion of my own in because I wouldn't know what to call it.
The Evil Dead

Post by The Evil Dead »

Kent Brockman wants to know whhhhhhhhhhy...

I really don't know where I was going with this. I'm sorry. Choose OO! :D
Listen to the Eels
MHS

Post by MHS »

Quartertothree at first glance doesn't look gaming related either, but it's a great name and once you see the graphics, it makes sense.

I wish I had The Perfect Name. I like OO and brutesquad okay... they don't jump up to me and say, hey this is it! But Peacedog's right... if the community takes off, the name doesn't really matter all that much. And I think it's important not to use anything close to GG since we're not trying to just copy the site; we're trying to take the best of the community and build a new gaming site around that.

There are some super creative members out there... someone give us The Perfect Name! :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's hard to say. I found GG by actually searching for something like "Diablo II" Gold Relaese or some such nonsense. So there was something to the name when I am searching for a place out of the blue. That's why I sounded like such a pain when I was asking about the content of the site and for that matter is closely tied to my continued annoying curiosity into where we're going.

It seems to me that without another hook, getting new blood will be associated with the site as people stumble around the Interweb. Organization and presentation will make them go more than just his the back buttong. Content will be what makes them stay for more than 15 seconds. And hopefully getting to know you bunch of lovely people will encourage the desirables to take a seat and have a beer and the undesirables to take a hike and hit the street.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

When it comes right down to it, we could call it games.com or pansysquidinpink.net, it will eventually take on the character of what we do with it.

When I was a casual gamer, not familiar with the precise steps of the game design process, I remember seeing Gone Gold and having no idea what it meant, or that it was involved with gaming. I figured it for a music site of some sort. It did fine - it was in the to 10,000 based on Alexa, and that is fantastic for a non-commercial games site.

The main thing, though, is that after going to Gone Gold and spending time there, the name 'Gone Gold' began to take on the meaning and feel of the community there. The feel that I get when I read the words Gone Gold has nothing to do with the meaning of the words, but with what I associate with them.

In the end, though, any name - and we went through about thirty of them initially - will not appeal to some people. If we pick one that person one loves, person two will always hate it. Person two's name will offend person three. When all is said and done, we have to come up with somthing that we think will work and go with it. Our efforts and the character we enbue it with will be more important than the words it is composed of.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

How about a name that reflects the community. Or something that gives an indication that the site is built with the community (or a community) in mind?
MHS

Post by MHS »

If we wanted something gaming related, it's too bad myasshasspreadtofitmygamingchair.com is just too long. :(
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

we're trying to take the best of the community and build a new gaming site around that.
Is that something we could advertise or is it too plain?

communityofgamers.com

We could all be CoGs in the gaming machine. :mrgreen:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I hate to say this...but I think the meta forum has already been infiltrated by agents of the Overlords.

And the one thing they would HATE is being associated with computer gaming.

Because despite their best efforts, computer cases don't work underwater.
MHS

Post by MHS »

visualpagewarp.com

The computer gaming term for when you go through a door or something... seems appropriate.
PR_GMR

Octopus Overlords

Post by PR_GMR »

Octopus Overlords sounds o right by me.

I suppose AssBanjo.com is out of the question? :P
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

outofthebox.com
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

intothedrive.com
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

blackmarkerCDs.com
blackmarkergames.com
Last edited by Dirt on Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Odin

Post by Odin »

LordMortis wrote:
we're trying to take the best of the community and build a new gaming site around that.

communityofgamers.com

Community of Gamers is actually pretty good. It's owned, but the guy that has it isn't doing anything with it. Could always see if he wanted to donate it or part with it for a reasonable price.

Registrant:
Scott Smith ardius_dragon@nettaxi.com
815 W Blue Spruce Rd
Alpine, Utah 84004
United States
Registered through: GoDaddy.com (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: COMMUNITYOFGAMERS.COM
Created on: 15-Sep-03
Expires on: 15-Sep-05
Last Updated on: 15-Sep-04

It's just got the godaddy.com free parking page on it right now.

Sith
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

There can be no other.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Gromit wrote:Image

There can be no other.
There can and there should.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Lighten up, Francis. :)
Last edited by Gromit on Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

MHS wrote:If we wanted something gaming related, it's too bad myasshasspreadtofitmygamingchair.com is just too long. :(
thearmchairgeneralsass.com
Rubyeye

Post by Rubyeye »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Actually, one of the original 30 or so was hugagamer.com.
Rubyeye

Post by Rubyeye »

triggercut

Post by triggercut »

octopusoverlords.com

The only url that makes sense.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Gathering Of Gamers, of course. GOG

> pansysquidinpink.net

this has my vote
Odin

Post by Odin »

hitbyambulance wrote:Gathering Of Gamers, of course. GOG
I'd support that, but unfortunately it's taken.

Sith
slambie

Post by slambie »

pcpeeps.org

TheGamerGroup.com
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

forumeffect.com
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

triggercut wrote:octopusoverlords.com

The only url that makes sense.
You cannot discount the fact that I am standing in solidarity with triggercut on this issue. Despite suddenly being undercut by GuidoTKP.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

LordMortis wrote:

communityofgamers.com

I like this - personally, OO doesn't do much for me, too "cute" IMO, YMMV of course.

Grifman
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

communityofgamers.com
BOR-ING!
Odin

Post by Odin »

Gromit wrote:
communityofgamers.com
BOR-ING!
Sorry if you're only interested in tyrannical seafood, but CoG or TheGamerGroup is a much better name.

Sith
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Gromit wrote:
communityofgamers.com
BOR-ING!
But it give off such warm fuzzies :)

Grifman
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

rrmorton wrote:Question: could we fashion a speedo with eight holes for tentacles? An octopus wearing a lime green speedo is tremendously appealing.
Funny Rob, that's how I've always remembered you ;)
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

GuidoTKP wrote:forumeffect.com
I'm feeling this.

This really hits the nail on the head for me. [See my other thread]

It not only captures the GGFE, but it also expresses the importance of the forum to the site itself.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Don't be sorry, Sith. Be vanilla in your choice.

I won't hold it against you. ;)