Voting Discussion Thread

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

khomotso

Post by khomotso »

As far as the site success argument, I think both are a liability initially, until the quality becomes apparent and nobody really pays attention to the words anymore: cf. Old Man Murray.

Brutesquad does sound to me a little too much like we're some sort of Quake clan.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't understand the rationale behind either name. But Brutesquad feeds the whole gaming-is-for-adolescents stereotype; it's got that teenaged macho feel. Since this is an instance where voting third-party accomplishes nothing, I guess I'll go for the octopi.
Raug

Post by Raug »

Brutesquad.com seems like something for which it would be tough to get good artwork. Everytime I try to imagine what it would look like I cringe. All I can see is skinny geeks trying to act tough, or muscled guys with weapons, which just doesn't seem to me like it would fit the site well. But that's why I'm not an artist. :P

IMO, octopusoverlords.com has many more possibilities and could really turn out great. Besides, then I could just put "Our great and illustrious Overlords (may they live forever!) MADE me post it." everytime I make a stupid post thus resolving myself of all responsibility.

"What has risen may sink, and what has sunk may rise. Loathsomeness waits and dreams in the deep, and decay spreads over the tottering cities of men."

"For the present they would rest; but some day, if they remembered, they would rise again for the tribute Great Cthulhu craved."

--H.P. Lovecraft

Vote Octopusoverlords.com and you'll be among the last to be pulled into the deep.

[/i]
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

Both sound lame to me but oh well.
Kael

Post by Kael »

How about www.KaelsBitches.com. It has a nice ring to it doesn't it?
EngineNo9

Post by EngineNo9 »

I have it on good faith that www.getherdrunkandstickitinherbutt.com is still up for grabs.

But seriously, I like Octopus Overlords a ton better than The Brute Squad. TBS sounds like some 14 year old's CounterStrike clan.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Engine, I might suggest reading the voting instructions...
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

His vote is fine. Really, it's just about keeping the random stuff out, so it's easier to tabulate. Unless he edited his post already and I missed something (heh).
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Man the Octopus at this point are really running away with this.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Why wouldn't they run away with it? We are simply doing their bidding.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

OctopusOverlords is much cooler. How many Cthulu references can you make if the site is thebrutesquad.com?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I would just like it to be know that when searching in Google for images associated with "Octopus Overlords" this is the only picture that appears:

Gromit

Post by Gromit »

By my count, it's currently 51-19 in favor of www.octopusoverlord.com... :)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Nade wrote:What if I like "pcgamesforum"? :?
It will still get to the forums, just won't be brand focus. Unless of course some enterprising young entrepreneur such as ourself wanted to buy it and start there own virtual enterprise 8)
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

The Meal wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Shouldn't it be Octopi Overlords? :wink:
If a consortium of giraffes were in charge, how would you refer to them?

~Neal
And yet, OctopiOverlords sounds much cooler than OctopusOverlords.

I voted for brutesquad but would change for octopi.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Your overlords are pleased with the current voting situation.

Poleaxe - I like octopi too, but I'm not in a position to quibble. I'll take octopusoverlords if that's all I can get.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'll take octopusoverlords if that's all I can get
Or perhaps they will take you.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

what Bakhtosh said
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Bakhtosh wrote:Brute Squad was not an original thought for the maker of The Princess Bride. It's a group of fighters who band together and fight as a unit...they may not be highly trained or fearsome warriors, and individually they won't accomplish much, but as a group, they're a force to be reckoned with...together, they're much more powerful than the sum of their parts.

OctopusOverlords is not a name I'll be terribly proud of talking about with my non-gaming friends.

Brute Squad is easy to say (2 syllables that flow well).

OctopusOverlords is 6. Why do you think Spiderman doesn't say "Doctor Octopus" everytime? Cause short words flow better.

Imagine, "Good morning, my name is Grandy Peace - I represent OctopusOverlords.com and would like you to consider <doing something for the site>"
"Octopus...Overlords? OhhKay..."

The name's already registered. I think we can have some real fun with it, but I don't think it should be our identity, nor do I think it fits well with what we want the site to be...namely: successful.
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
slambie

Post by slambie »

I also have to agree with Bakhtosh. (Hi Andy!) In particular, this comment:
...but I don't think it should be our identity, nor do I think it fits well with what we want the site to be...namely: successful.
It might sound fun and cool today but I don't see it as a name that represents the long term goals and plans for the site that staff has discussed in other threads.

It's like naming your kid Buffy. It may seem cute when she's 3 years old but then she grows up and is saddled with a name that is ridiculed and not taken seriously.

BruteSquad as a name presents the same problem (plus it sounds way too teen-angsty), but at least it's marginally better than OOs.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Bakhtosh wrote:Brute Squad was not an original thought for the maker of The Princess Bride. It's a group of fighters who band together and fight as a unit...they may not be highly trained or fearsome warriors, and individually they won't accomplish much, but as a group, they're a force to be reckoned with...together, they're much more powerful than the sum of their parts.
Okay, that whole spiel was horribly dorky.
Bakhtosh wrote: rest of the stuff you said...
There are those who would say the same things about the brutesquad name... it just comes down to personal taste, not much that can be done about it other than what has already been done - which is to see what the majority prefers and go with that. Sometimes it backfires and you get George Bush, sometimes it works out and you get Octopus Overlords.
Guy Incognito

Post by Guy Incognito »

Sometimes it backfires and you get George Bush, sometimes it works out and you get Octopus Overlords.
LOL :mrgreen:
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

slambie wrote:I also have to agree with Bakhtosh. (Hi Andy!) In particular, this comment:
...but I don't think it should be our identity, nor do I think it fits well with what we want the site to be...namely: successful.
It might sound fun and cool today but I don't see it as a name that represents the long term goals and plans for the site that staff has discussed in other threads.

It's like naming your kid Buffy. It may seem cute when she's 3 years old but then she grows up and is saddled with a name that is ridiculed and not taken seriously.

BruteSquad as a name presents the same problem (plus it sounds way too teen-angsty), but at least it's marginally better than OOs.
I agree with Slambie - I don't really care for either of the names. Not sure why we're rushing off to pick a name, nor am I sure why these are the only two to choose from. I'd rather give the community sometime to come up with something a bit more creative and relevant to what we want to be. OO and BS really don't do it for me.

Grifman
wire

Post by wire »

Cool...we will have a name that 14 year olds will associate with. I cast my vote for neither...hate being a moderate in this country...there's never a viable 3rd choice.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I don't think people really appreciate what can be done with a name like OctopusOverlords in the long run. Now - perhaps I'm missing what the goals of this site are supposed to be (other than successful), but the URL isn't going to stop you from being successful.

You want that URL to be memorable. Sure, if the site starts looking like it's dedicated to "Henry the Octopus" from the Wiggles, specializing in analyzing the intricacies of games like "Uncle Wiggly's Math IS Fun" - the name is going to be a joke.

But if the site is themed along the lines of dark, Lovecraftian denizens of the deep - and the content is light's out. Duh. The site will be a cult classic - and the name and identity of the site will work perfectly.

That said - you can't please everyone with something like this. So I'm glad that I'm on the side that's being pleased. I just don't think that people should get all that down on whatever it turns out to be (unless it's not OO.com, in which case I take that back :)).

If the time and resources were available, perhaps the best thing to do would be to hold off the *OFFICIAL* selection until the people building this site can build sample content that exploits both themes, and let's us take a real look at how they want to use the name. That's by far the most important part of this. How you're going to use the name.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

As my vote indicates, I would prefer Brutesquad, since it just seems less... off-the-wall... to me.

But really, it's not that big a deal. I didn't come to GG because I had a particular fascination with the word "Gone". Nor will I come here or not because of the appeal of the URL. The conversation and camaraderie are what keep me coming back, and that wouldn't change even if we called it "www.humpinghorses.orgy"

So call it what you like. I'll still keep coming back as long as the people here entertain me.

- Ash
setaside

Post by setaside »

Ooh. Is that available? :wink:
knob

Post by knob »

I don't think it would be THAT hard to get good Brute Squad artwork. To me, brute implies big, hairy ogre like people. A perfect image for any gamer. No need to make them look tough.

However, I voted for OctO.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

wire wrote:Cool...we will have a name that 14 year olds will associate with. I cast my vote for neither...hate being a moderate in this country...there's never a viable 3rd choice.
It could be worse...

In IRC our favorite pick was www.gamingassholes.com

:)
Valael wrote:I don't think it would be THAT hard to get good Brute Squad artwork.
Well, make some.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's such a strange concept - having 200+ people discussing the potential name for a site. It's all ass-backwards. Normally, we'd all just find some site based on the *content* and start hanging out there.

Here, everyone is all fired up over their own idea, good, bad or otherwise.

After having to spend HOURS with 4 other people seriously discussing the name of a company, I can say it really doesn't matter what the funk we're called.

If the future site has the content that attracts the type of people that engage in what was the GGF - what difference does the name make in the end?

People will be attracted to the CONTENT of the site - not the name. A name might get their immediate attention, but they won't stick around if the content isn't what they're looking for.

A week ago, GG died and we were all scrambling around trying to find each other.

Now we have a chance to start from scratch - with MANY of the people that were part of the GG community - and people are drawing lines in the sand over a URL? C'mon people.

This message brought to you from sunken city of R'lyeh
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

We can always use BOTH. Name the website Brutesquad vs. Octopus Overlords. Feature AARs of games where the Brutesquad clan faces the Octopus Overlords clan. Have the same content, but two different layouts.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote:A week ago, GG died and we were all scrambling around trying to find each other. Now we have a chance to start from scratch - with MANY of the people that were part of the GG community - and people are drawing lines in the sand over a URL? C'mon people.
I could be mistaken, but I haven't seen anyone draw a line anywhere - maybe I've missed a post, but I haven't seen anyone or certainly many people say, "I'm dropping the site if name X is or is not chosen". All I'm seeing is people expressing their opinion, which is what this thread is all about. That's all.

Grifman
Itsatrap

Post by Itsatrap »

First up, that voting thread is really going to confuse search engine webcrawlers. :)

Next up, if you call the site thebrutesquad, what will you call the Brutesquad? The thebrutesquad Brutesquad... squad?

How about we compromise and go with the "brutesquid"? *ducks*

- Alan
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Kratz wrote:In IRC our favorite pick was www.gamingassholes.com

:)
I prefer www.gamingarseholes.com ;)

Scrobbling at last.fm
wire

Post by wire »

Kratz wrote:
wire wrote:Cool...we will have a name that 14 year olds will associate with. I cast my vote for neither...hate being a moderate in this country...there's never a viable 3rd choice.
It could be worse...

In IRC our favorite pick was www.gamingassholes.com
Riigghhttt...well at least you can associate it with gaming :wink:

As for drawing a line in the sand...nah, just people expressing their opinions. All in all it really should just be up to the person(s) paying the tab each month. I know if I was fronting the tab I'd pick a name I wanted and could give a hoot what the rest you all wanted :twisted:
EngineNo9

Post by EngineNo9 »

SuperHiro wrote:We can always use BOTH. Name the website Brutesquad vs. Octopus Overlords. Feature AARs of games where the Brutesquad clan faces the Octopus Overlords clan. Have the same content, but two different layouts.
I like the way this man thinks!
khomotso

Post by khomotso »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I would just like it to be know that when searching in Google for images associated with "Octopus Overlords" this is the only picture that appears:

That's about as disturbing as any kraken from the deep.
knob

Post by knob »

Kratz wrote:
Valael wrote:I don't think it would be THAT hard to get good Brute Squad artwork.
Well, make some.

Pfft. I'm no artist. I was just giving suggestions. Everyone seems to think that Brute Squad needs to be a bunch of guys looking tough. You can get just as silly with BS as you could with OO. Or close, atleast.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

EngineNo9 wrote:
SuperHiro wrote:We can always use BOTH. Name the website Brutesquad vs. Octopus Overlords. Feature AARs of games where the Brutesquad clan faces the Octopus Overlords clan. Have the same content, but two different layouts.
And the website would be called www.bs-octo.com!
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

SuperHiro wrote:
EngineNo9 wrote:
And the website would be called www.bs-octo.com!
I like it :D

Scrobbling at last.fm
Massena

Post by Massena »

My first post on the new forums was to vote for Brutesquad. I'll use my second post to add my voice to the chorus that is OH SO VERY GRATEFUL that this site was formed. I've been homeless (in an ethereal sort of way) for way too long. I can't tell you all how stoked I am that this is getting off the ground. Carry on... :D