The old Gonegold forum data

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Peacedog

The old Gonegold forum data

Post by Peacedog »

Well, I thought we were going to get a copy of this. Originally from the summer (which got wiped when the plug was pulled, I understand it), then from March. Unfortunatley, it turns out I was mistaken. :(

We've tried very hard to track down the March data, but it doesn't look like we will be able to.

The situation with the data works like this:

1) We were concerned about the legalties of using it. Ken seemed to think we were in the clear, but this was something we hadn't finished investigating.

2) Our initial plans were to do a full import into a phpBB install, and then lock it down . This would have been an archive forum in essence.

3) We would then consider importing just user data to this, and go from there.

Maybe it's best to start fresh for the operations forum, I don't know. I would have liked to have gotten the old stuff archived, though. I know there are alot of threads there people poured their hearts & minds into. For the loss of those, I am sorry.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

If you can save anything, it's better than nothing. I understand that you need to make sure you're legally in the clear, but it seems like you have access to several lawyers who would be willing to help.

I would be perfectly happy if it were only available as an archive.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We've discussed the legality of it back and forth, but when it comes right down to it, we currently don't think that any off-site backups of the data still exist. The data is, most likely, all wiped away.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Ah...well, that sucks then.

But life will go on.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

I think it's a new site... just have a new site, either way. Start fresh, as it were...
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Oh, the new site is affirmative. I'm not even sure we'd have just imported user data for the "real" forums. I'd still like to have all that stuff archived - it's a piece of history.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Bummer.

One thing we could do is appeal to everyone to share all their saved threads and we could stash those somewhere.

I have the 9/11 thread for starters. Don't know if we'd gather enough to make it worth bothering though.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Now, I know what everyone is really worried about, and let me assure you that yes, I DO have the krimnal sopina. ;)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Oh, the new site is affirmative. I'm not even sure we'd have just imported user data for the "real" forums. I'd still like to have all that stuff archived - it's a piece of history.
I think it best if we let all of the incriminating evidence fade into the wind.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Since it was listed as many people's favorite GG moment in a few threads, I think there are quite a few people who have it saved. :)
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Bummer.

One thing we could do is appeal to everyone to share all their saved threads and we could stash those somewhere.

I have the 9/11 thread for starters. Don't know if we'd gather enough to make it worth bothering though.
Well, why don't you make a thread about it and try? We'd definately try to accomodate in this effort.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I have a number of my Quinn threads archived - but I'm sure that has limited appeal, and it's all been converted to PDF files. But if someone is interested, and wants to host them - I could email them over, and create a post with links.

I can think of a couple people who would appreciate that, but I don't have any net storage places to put them.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Padre

Post by Padre »

I should point out that if you do a google searchfor some of terms in your thread, odds are google might have it in their cache.

The covergae is probably patchy and old at best, bu tit's worth a shot if you have soemthing specific you'd like to recover.