Embedding videos?

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Want the ability to embed videos in posts?

Yay
48%
Nay
52%

Total votes: 50

ChaoZ

Embedding videos?

Post by ChaoZ »

Hey guys, I noticed that a lot of posts pointing to a video are just links. Would it be better to be able to embed a Youtube or other flash video source in our posts?

Of course, this is prone to abuse, but as I see it, it's not any worse than somebody posting a blind link. Plus, it doesn't really hurt 56K people because it requires a click action before the video starts loading.

I've seen this done in another forum that I'm in. Don't know if it's possible here, but the syntax would be along the lines of [youtube][/youtube] or [video][/video]

Thoughts?
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

I'm in favor. By far the #1 source of embedded video is Youtube, and they already have their own content-filtering mechanisms to prevent Crowleyism. Probably safer than allowing straightup [img] tags, to be honest.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

As long as it doesn't fire up automatically. I read this site from work, and the last thing I need is to click a thread title and have a video load.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I got burned (Winantispyvirus trojan)here awhile back going to a site recommended by one of the posters here. It was just jpgs but it has left me a little leary on clicking on any links now. I'm not upset with the poster but it's just a point I'd like to make in favor of not having to click on unknown links.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

I'm not in favor of it, unless phpbb has specific features to just embed video. If it doesn't, you would need to allow arbitrary html and javascript embedding, and that's just asking for trouble.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Yeah, I can't vote without knowing more from Gedd. You don't want to open up general stuff just to allow video in. Video from say, you tube would be fine with me but if it has to allow other stuff to happen, I'm not for it. Also, how would it affect OO's bandwidth? Would all video traffic flow through Rip's tubes?
Your ad here.
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

Austin wrote:Yeah, I can't vote without knowing more from Gedd. You don't want to open up general stuff just to allow video in. Video from say, you tube would be fine with me but if it has to allow other stuff to happen, I'm not for it. Also, how would it affect OO's bandwidth? Would all video traffic flow through Rip's tubes?
Not at all. Bandwidth will most definitely come from YouTube or GamesTrailer etc.
Austin

Post by Austin »

ChaoZ wrote:
Austin wrote:Yeah, I can't vote without knowing more from Gedd. You don't want to open up general stuff just to allow video in. Video from say, you tube would be fine with me but if it has to allow other stuff to happen, I'm not for it. Also, how would it affect OO's bandwidth? Would all video traffic flow through Rip's tubes?
Not at all. Bandwidth will most definitely come from YouTube or GamesTrailer etc.
Cool. I hear Rip doesn't like having his tubes clogged up.
Your ad here.
naednek

Post by naednek »

dbt1949 wrote:I got burned (Winantispyvirus trojan)here awhile back going to a site recommended by one of the posters here. It was just jpgs but it has left me a little leary on clicking on any links now. I'm not upset with the poster but it's just a point I'd like to make in favor of not having to click on unknown links.
sorry about that DBT. I honestly wouldn't have posted it if I had known. I didn't get trojans when I visted so I never got any warning. I know you're not mad, I just wanted to state that I'm sorry it happened to you, and wanted to let you know it wasn't my intentions.

And I'm all for embedded videos.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Absolutely not. You Tube is a conduit for malware attacks.

On top of this, I access this site through a VPN tunnel that is bandwidth-restricted. As it is, images can cause the connection to grind to a halt. An unexpected video in a thread would probably knock me out for the day.
Black Lives Matter
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

Jeff V wrote:Absolutely not. You Tube is a conduit for malware attacks.

On top of this, I access this site through a VPN tunnel that is bandwidth-restricted. As it is, images can cause the connection to grind to a halt. An unexpected video in a thread would probably knock me out for the day.
Videos don't load until you click on it. You will have to load an image representing the video clip, but that's it.

Secondly, the trojan horse mentioned is due to a party sending a fake YouTube link which, in addition to playing a valid YouTube video, also runs something in the background.

In fact, I would argue that embedding a YouTube video is SAFER than clicking on a mysterious video link.

We would need proper protection to ensure that links embedded come from reliable sources, which may mean restricting videos to that from YouTube only. Running HTML is completely not something I'm advocating here.
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

No. No no no.

That's a cultural road I don't want this forum going down. These newfangled images are bad enough.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Video will be fine in NSFW and WTF? threads. Nowhere else, please.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I like the idea. If you don't want to watch, scroll on by - no harm, no foul. For those who want to view you can do it without leaving the forum. Handy dandy. I get the knee-jerk reaction from it, but they way it's been laid out so far, it looks like a good feature.
Your ad here.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Austin wrote:
ChaoZ wrote:
Cool. I hear Rip doesn't like having his tubes clogged up.
That is just what I tell people I'm trying to get a little off of.

:oops:
Moat_Man

Re: Embedding videos?

Post by Moat_Man »

I went to try and embed a youtube video in a post instead of just a hyperlink but it still doesn't look like this is possible. Has any more thought been given to this?
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im all for it. My Mustang forum uses them and its nice to have the video there in the post to watch or not. They dont start up unless I click it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Enough

Post by Enough »

Heh, I just tried to use the mp4 tags and realized we don't support it. I voted yes and agree that anything that is going to automatically play sound in particular is a big NO. Another thing I would love to know how to post is the new gifv format.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Brian seems to know how to do it...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Brian gets a screencap, then uses that as the target for a hyperlink. That's not the same as having the video play in the post itself.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hey, as long as it doesn't auto-play, I'm all for it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

I was about to ridicule the 56k reference until I looked at the original date. I'll have to see what's involved and make sure red tube videos can't be embedded+ spam hammer won't allow bots to pay their shit in videos.
No.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I really dislike the trend towards internet videos - in a way, I just see it as another way to get more advertising out. I'm not much of a fan of animated gif's either. I'm incredibly happy that we don't allow them in sigs. Any forum that allows them, I have to go and create custom adblock filters just to get rid of that trash. I have had to get multiple FF plugins to keep videos from autoplaying.

Please no. 99% of internet video isn't worth my time, and actually avoiding it causes even more annoyances.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

That's a good point, right now the votes are slightly on the nay side.
No.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Which is pretty much how the staff discussion of the topic went originally.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm not sure that votes, most of which are eight years old, are really meaningful anymore.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I wouldn't mind it, as long as they're put behind a spoiler tag, not so much because they could be spoilers, but because of loading. In the past, when Youtube would be down and I'd be on other sites with embedded videos, it would cause the whole site to wait for it to load, hanging up the pc in the process.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I was stunned when the Vimeo videos posted are embeeded through Chrome. I checked and IE did it as well. Example post
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Rumpy wrote:I wouldn't mind it, as long as they're put behind a spoiler tag, not so much because they could be spoilers, but because of loading. In the past, when Youtube would be down and I'd be on other sites with embedded videos, it would cause the whole site to wait for it to load, hanging up the pc in the process.
Spoiler tags do not prevent images from loading as they are implemented by OO.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote:I was stunned when the Vimeo videos posted are embeeded through Chrome. I checked and IE did it as well. Example post
Well, at least my Flashblock/YouTubeblock plug ins worked... but I've only peeked on a desktop. Not sure about mobile, etc., where I'd really be peeved. I'm guessing that's html5 content.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Isgrimnur wrote:I was stunned when the Vimeo videos posted are embeeded through Chrome. I checked and IE did it as well. Example post
Your gast is surprisingly easily flabbered.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D