So when is unreleased games area not for unreleased games?

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

tals

So when is unreleased games area not for unreleased games?

Post by tals »

I'm in need of clarification here and a little understanding :)

My understanding is the unreleased games area is for discussing .... yep unreleased games. The PC Games by Title, nice and easy that one....single pc games. And gaming discussion is almost an everything but gaming regarding PC games.

i.e in the gaming discussion area I would expect to see a discussion about how developers are taking there time, or quality of games general meanderings, not a place I care to go.

So from meals latest moderation (heck he is the mod) but clarification is what this area is for :) Any time we discuss 2 unreleased games in the same topic its instantly gaming discussion.

Personally that makes no sense to me and certainly i'm going to miss some topics as meandering about Starforce, devs and the like holds little interest - correction zero interest.

So am I right, the title should be Unreleased Games By Title instead of Unreleased Games?

Tals
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Yeah, the title is a bit flakey. But those two forums are for threads about single game titles. Gaming in general is for any topic dealing with multiple games.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
tals

Post by tals »

So what other threads in there reflect that, just had a look. Its PC Gaming discussion plus my threads!

I'll keep it to single titles in future - even though comparisons make a lot of sense at the moment.

Tals
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

You're posting as if you're in some kind of trouble because your posts got moved. Nobody is upset with you for placing your posts in the wrong forum. It's clear that you didn't realize how we placed topics and that you made a very simple mistake. As you pointed out, nothing from the title "Unreleased Games" nor the descriptive text underneath that title lets you know that threads in that forum are for discussion of single games at a time.

If I'm misrepresenting the reason for your anger or your current emotional state, please clarify. I don't mean to put words, emotions, angry-smileys, or anything else into your mouth.

~Neal
tals

Post by tals »

lol i'm not angry, hard day in the office but not angry, irritated - yeah a little.
If I'm misrepresenting the reason for your anger or your current emotional state, please clarify. I don't mean to put words, emotions, angry-smileys, or anything else into your mouth.
Without taking this the wrong way, no easy way of putting this. If I am in trouble (which I know i'm not :) ) then it would not be a concern - it doesn't fit into any equation I have regarding gaming forums. I post more because I question the moderation - which I thought this area was for? That is not to say I don't respect you guys just you can't get me into trouble - hope that makes sense :)

I dislike the gaming discussion area if truth be told, nothing against discussion in that area just of no interest and as I say there are now a sum 3 posts actually about games in there. 1 the MOG hydra, (my post) totally agree - and if you haven't seen it, I strongly recommend everyone does. The other two are about unreleased games, need I say more.

Tals
knob

Post by knob »

We just need to get rid of the whole "General Gaming" forum.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
EngineNo9

Post by EngineNo9 »

It's just a retarded rule that they brought over from GG. People complained that it made no sense there but they used the excuse that it was an established process already. Now I guess it's a new rule.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I like the PC Games in general forum. But I do think that talking about 2 unreleased games should stay in the Unreleased Games forum. That makes more sense than PC Games in General.

Grifman
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

What about talking about three unreleased games and a released game? Games that have gone gold but not shipped? Shipped but haven't hit the release date? Have been released in Germany but are still in beta in the US? The trends of development, using several unreleased games for examples?

The fact of the matter is that unless we want to make page-long forum titles, they are going to be generalized headings. We pick a place to draw the line as to what goes where. Usually that line makes sense to some people, but not to others -there is no decision that makes sense to everybody. In order to function, you have to decide on a median and just work with it. We have drawn our line somewhere that says that talking about a particular unreleased game goes in Unreleased; talking about a bunch of games goes in General.

The discussion can be the same in either place - once you click on the thread, only a couple of words in the header are different.

There was a discussion on Gone Gold not long ago about whether City of Heroes threads belonged in Games by Title or Multiplayer Games Discussion. It came down to the same thing - deciding on a line and going with it. It made some people very happy, and pissed a few others off. If we had waited until we could have made everybody happy, we would still be arguing.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

To add to that last post

...But! If you're one of those pissed off few, you do have a place to express your displeasure with our current system. Please, post here and try and convince the site powers that be why your proposed system is better. Please don't get bent out of shape if TPTB disagree with your reasoning, but do at least tell us *WHY* you like your own proposed system better.

And if you like the current line drawn in the sand/concrete, then don't hesitate to let folks know what you think is *right* about the current system.

~Neal
tals

Post by tals »

Isn't that what we're doing? I'm confused by your response.

I even went so far to go and delete the postings I had made in the EQ v WOW (both pre Gold) and the HL2 and EQ2 (both pre Gold/Gold) threads as they were not appropriate in those areas - but someone has taken away the delete ability. As an aside the delete post ability is not possible once a subsequent post has been made in the thread - I thought it did allow this?

You appeared to draw inference to my state of mind but I think I then clarified that aspect.

Tals

p.s I think naming the gaming discussion area

PC Gaming Discussion + Tals 3 Games Threads would be more appropriate :lol:
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

tals wrote:Isn't that what we're doing? I'm confused by your response.
It is. Just wanted to be (excessively) clear that it's a fine thing to display displeasure with how we've done things.
I even went so far to go and delete the postings I had made in the EQ v WOW (both pre Gold) and the HL2 and EQ2 (both pre Gold/Gold) threads as they were not appropriate in those areas - but someone has taken away the delete ability. As an aside the delete post ability is not possible once a subsequent post has been made in the thread - I thought it did allow this?
Apparently not. There have been discussions about this in the Thread deletion thread here in the Meta-forum.
You appeared to draw inference to my state of mind but I think I then clarified that aspect.
You did. Thanks. It should be clear, after seeing you post: "Me and my hot head - which is far hotter now *angry icon needed*" here and your signature (it's not that Xfire signatures are specifically unwelcome, its *ANY* images in signatures that we object to), where my original misunderstanding regarding your emotional state may have come from. But you very much clarified that for me.
p.s I think naming the gaming discussion area
PC Gaming Discussion + Tals 3 Games Threads would be more appropriate :lol:
And that's just what the metaforum is for. Your suggestions. As I said before, don't get bent out of shape if folks don't end up going with your suggested alternatives.

~Neal
tals

Post by tals »

Thank you for the response.

With regard to the angry icon, yep I felt the need for one of the cross faces- but it wasn't there :( More than actually being angry :)

My xfire sig, yep point taken on and heck I even agreed with it - but can't think of another signature at the moment so left it in as i'm starting to like it :)

I still think a topic that has the word gaming is not about specific game(s) its about the gaming genre (or that is how I read it). But this area is a good place to discuss this - and its nice to do so publically.

Tals