A wish or two

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Lorini

A wish or two

Post by Lorini »

I wish that we could include multi-title discussions of PC games in PC Games by Title instead of moving them to General PC Games discussion. What I mean is that discussions of "which MMO should I choose" go in PC Games by Title, since that discussion would be about various PC games and discussions of "Are MMO's any fun" still be in General PC Games discussion. The previous delineation seemed silly to me, since games/titles are specific, even if many are being discussed.

The other wish is one I probably won't get, but it would be great if we could talk about effective CD cracks. I realize that those discussions border on promoting piracy, but for those of us who have 50+ CD's or who play games on a laptop on travel, cracks are a real relief, and make games more accessible.

Just my two cents...

Lorini
Black Lives Matter
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I'm moving this to the meta forum, as that's where this sort of thing belongs.

Both of the things you speak of were in place because of the powers that be at Gonegold (specifically Rich). We may or may not change both of those things here.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I'd love to be able to talk about NO-CD cracks from a legitimate customer perspective. We can have a strict No Warez policy but still announce, discuss, and hopefully link to recent NO-CD cracks.

I use them for every game I buy just so I don't have to dig out the CD and for the faster load times. I also dig through the game folder for all the developer logo videos and intro movie files and rename them slightly so they won't play on startup. Gets me to the main menu lickity split. The new trend of NO-CD cracks that muck up the gameplay ever so slightly is very irksome.
Last edited by rrmorton on Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

It's a possibility we will lean tha way. I don't regret doing it the way we did at GG, because of Rich. For us though, relationship with the industry won't be a main focus. ;P
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I think no-CD cracks moved out of the realm of piracy long ago. Remember when Morrowind came out and many of us had to track down the crack to get decent framerates?

It was my understanding that Rich maintained the strict ban on CD-crack discussion because he didn't want to risk angering his industry contacts, on whom he relied for accurate release date information. It sounds like this site won't be focusing on release dates so much, so perhaps this policy can be tweaked a bit.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'm okay with the CD-cracks discussion, but I still think our differentiating line for general discussion vs. games by title makes the most sense.

~Neal
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I have never been a big fan of the no-CD cracks because of my will to be lazy. 1) you have to find them and 2) I was under the impression that they went out of date if you patched your game, which happens constantly in today's world. Because then you have find no-CD crack that works with your updated game. That was just too much of a bother for my lazy ass.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I wouldn't have a problem lifting the draconian-style NO-CD crack policy. :P
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

As an avid user of no-CD cracks, I fully support them. However, I've yet to see a site containing the cracks that didn't at least offer pirating tools so linking might be questionable.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

>The new trend of NO-CD cracks that muck up the gameplay ever so slightly is very irksome.

what's this about?
elborto

Re: A wish or two

Post by elborto »

Lorini wrote:I wish that we could include multi-title discussions of PC games in PC Games by Title instead of moving them to General PC Games discussion. What I mean is that discussions of "which MMO should I choose" go in PC Games by Title, since that discussion would be about various PC games and discussions of "Are MMO's any fun" still be in General PC Games discussion. The previous delineation seemed silly to me, since games/titles are specific, even if many are being discussed.
On that note, I'm in favor of combining both forums alltogether. I don't really see the point of the seperation, especially since General Gaming didn't really see an enormous amount of traffic.

Claas
The Meal

Re: A wish or two

Post by The Meal »

elborto wrote:
Lorini wrote:I wish that we could include multi-title discussions of PC games in PC Games by Title instead of moving them to General PC Games discussion. What I mean is that discussions of "which MMO should I choose" go in PC Games by Title, since that discussion would be about various PC games and discussions of "Are MMO's any fun" still be in General PC Games discussion. The previous delineation seemed silly to me, since games/titles are specific, even if many are being discussed.
On that note, I'm in favor of combining both forums alltogether. I don't really see the point of the seperation, especially since General Gaming didn't really see an enormous amount of traffic.

Claas
This, I find more palattable. I'm not sure the two need to be separated as there really isn't a huge difference in feel between the two. I find it difficult to imagine a person who'd surf General Gaming but who wouldn't also look at the titles in Games by Title (or vice versa). If that's the case, then the only reason to keep them separated is that topics fall off the front-page too quickly, and as you've pointed out, this isn't an issue in these two forums.

Hopefully some attention will be given to your suggestion.

~Neal
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Actually, Gaming in General did pretty good traffic.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Peacedog wrote:Actually, Gaming in General did pretty good traffic.
Yes, months ago. But with my board set to only show topics from the last-5 days, frequently GGD would not show a full one-page's worth of posted-in topics.

~Neal
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

But if often got highly trafficed threads. In addition to having pretty good traffic (I don't consider not filling page to be low traffic).
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Peacedog wrote:But if often got highly trafficed threads. In addition to having pretty good traffic (I don't consider not filling page to be low traffic).
If there were only a 'few' threads receiving high traffick, I still don't see why there'd be a reason to be 2 PC forums.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Peacedog wrote:But if often got highly trafficed threads. In addition to having pretty good traffic (I don't consider not filling page to be low traffic).
Excellent point. That site probably had the largest topic *density* of the site, frequently getting multi-page posts.

That being said, I think that a relatively small number of multi-page posts don't push other topics off their front page too quickly, and that's the only reservation I have with rolling these two forums together. Thematically they do not make a meaningful distinction (as 99% of the people who'd read one, would likely be reading the other), and with only a relatively small number of posts getting bumped to the top (of the GGD nature), they're not pushing other topics off the front page too quickly.

~Neal
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

That being said, I think that a relatively small number of multi-page posts don't push other topics off their front page too quickly, and that's the only reservation I have with rolling these two forums together.
Well, they keep posts off the front page for longer. But I think the combination of traffic & "big posts" was more than enough to justify GiG at gonegold.

Of course, that's no longer relevant (and that same argument of course is applied to the you-know-what-forum), but I wouldn't roll them back together based soley on us being alot smaller suddenly.

Also, who knows what kinds of forums we're going to be adding based on the site content. Or just good suggestions.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'm cool with the continuing to keep them separate vibe. I thought that it was a more appropriate point to roll them together than to start allowing multi-title gaming posts in PC Games by Title.

If six months from now General Gaming sees a grand total of six new threads every day, then yeah, maybe revisit this conversation about rolling them together.

~Neal