Help us appease the Overlords - Ways you can help

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Grundbegriff

Re: Help us appease the Overlords - Ways you can help

Post by Grundbegriff »

theohall's idea is good.

A simple factual statement of what's going out and what's coming in, posted periodically for a time, would probably not be too obtrusive to too many. It would also dispel the illusion, if such it be at any given interval, that everything's coasting along just fine.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not that my vote matters, but I agree it's a good idea - and not at all obnoxious. Giving the entire community a chance to see "behind the curtain" can certainly promote awareness of the site and get people motivated to use Amazon links. IMHO that's a better strategy than say just shutting down the site one day because there isn't enough money or putting up an emergency posting indicating unless someone shows up with $10,000 in two days, the site is done.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

It does seem like a good idea.

Depending on Fishpants' personal schedule, would the weeks leading up to (American) Thanksgiving (the pre-Holidays sales period) be the best equivalent of the football pre-season?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Hey guys I appreciate the input.. So far we are tracking a little bit more than out of pocket costs (around 50 bucks ahead). Due pretty much to the amazon link.. You guys sure buy a lot of stuff from there!

When I get time I will balance it all out, and I'd never leave you guys hanging in the event I couldn't carry it without further help. Always options out there!
No.
Mold Maker

Post by Mold Maker »

Would it be possible to have an affiliated link with Newegg.com?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Are we still on track for a State of the Server post around (American) Thanksgiving? That would also help serve as a bump reminder to use that Amazon affiliate link for all the Christmas shopping that we are likely to do, helpfully making a large boost to the bottom line.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur wrote:Are we still on track for a State of the Server post around (American) Thanksgiving? That would also help serve as a bump reminder to use that Amazon affiliate link for all the Christmas shopping that we are likely to do, helpfully making a large boost to the bottom line.
I concur that an update around that time would be useful. I think we're probably also due for a regular update: bi-monthly seems appropriate to me.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Not sure what you are looking for update wise? So far the Amazon affiliate link is paying the server costs for the most part.. I did a quick tally in August and to date it has covered off the expenses of the server minus one month of expenses (I seem to get paid from Amazon every 2 months since it has to be over $100 US for a cheque to be sent, average is about once every 2-3 months, and that covers off the previous 2 months fees).
No.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

FishPants wrote:Not sure what you are looking for update wise? So far the Amazon affiliate link is paying the server costs for the most part.. I did a quick tally in August and to date it has covered off the expenses of the server minus one month of expenses (I seem to get paid from Amazon every 2 months since it has to be over $100 US for a cheque to be sent, average is about once every 2-3 months, and that covers off the previous 2 months fees).
That sort of update is fine by me--the info I'm looking for is how far behind (or ahead) of costs we are. But I think some folks favor a more dollars-and-sense approach. I could be wrong.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

The other guys can post the total summary if it's necessary.. Oddly enough we've earned exactly $777.77 via Amazon since Jan 1. To date we have spent $720 USD this year on the server.
No.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Ok so i posted we made $777.77 and the post was exactly 3:33pm. I'm going to go buy a lottery ticket now.. Either that or my car will explode on the way home.
No.
stessier

Post by stessier »

FishPants wrote:The other guys can post the total summary if it's necessary.. Oddly enough we've earned exactly $777.77 via Amazon since Jan 1. To date we have spent $720 USD this year on the server.
This kind of update works for me. I'm just looking for some advance warning that you'll need an influx of funds or else the lights will go out.

The server is our only cost, right?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

No worries I wouldn't let that happen, even if we were running low there'd be plenty of notice + a controlled shift to something more affordable.. So far so good, the only other expense is domain registration -- and I can't recall who handles that annually but it isn't a heck of a lot.
No.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

FishPants wrote:the only other expense is domain registration -- and I can't recall who handles that annually but it isn't a heck of a lot.
That's me. We're actually up for renewal next month, but the amount is pretty trivial, and I consider it my gift to the community.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Having just spent $160 at funagain and knowing that we have a sizable number of board gamers here, I wonder if OO should become a funagain affiliate.

http://www.funagain.com/control/affilia ... 096DD.jvm1" target="_blank

I don't go all hog wild like people do with amazon but every so often I pick up games online. funagain pay a crazy 5% (don't know how they can do it) so today OO could have earned $8 off my purchase. :shock:
Odin

Post by Odin »

I just ordered about $600 of stuff from Amazon (mostly toner). Hopefully we should see a sizeable bump from that. I was careful to put stuff in my cart, then come here, hit the OO link, and immediately check out.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Odin wrote:I just ordered about $600 of stuff from Amazon (mostly toner). Hopefully we should see a sizeable bump from that. I was careful to put stuff in my cart, then come here, hit the OO link, and immediately check out.
Fishpants should be able to verify whether or not that works based on your purchases. I was under the impression that it doesn't work for OO that way, though I forget why that stuck with me.

What I do, if I find myself perusing Amazon without going in through the OO link, is add items to my wishlist (not the cart), then come back in through the OO front door and add those items into my cart. I believe that these items have shown up in the past based on early feedback.

Hopefully Fishpants can, once and for all, verify whether or not you have to be in via the OO login at the time items go into your cart for them to count as affiliate purchases.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

I don't see toner on the purchase report from the 3rd to the 9th. Would seem that you do indeed need to add it to your cart through the link.
No.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Odin posted that on the 10th, so check again later. I'm positive that stuff I bought exactly as described has shown up on the list of what OOers bought on Amazon. Weird stuff that nobody else would have bought too.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Odin

Post by Odin »

What was the final verdict on this? Did the way I did it work?
Odin

Post by Odin »

Odin wrote:What was the final verdict on this? Did the way I did it work?
Bump. Any idea? I'd like to know in advance before I place my next order what sort of hoops I need to jump through to help OO out.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Odin wrote:
Bump. Any idea? I'd like to know in advance before I place my next order what sort of hoops I need to jump through to help OO out.
In September the report shows 3x HP Laserjet toners.. Was that the order? If not, then no it didn't show.
No.
Odin

Post by Odin »

FishPants wrote:
Odin wrote:
In September the report shows 3x HP Laserjet toners.. Was that the order? If not, then no it didn't show.
Yeah, that sounds like it. I actually ordered more than three, but some had to be fulfilled by a partner rather than directly by Amazon. It doesn't surprise me that that wouldn't get credited.

So, hooray - you can put stuff in your cart, and then just switch to the OO affiliate link when it's time to check out. That's a lot less hoop-humping than I was afraid of.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Yeah, it works exactly like I said it works.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
DD*

Post by DD* »

I just bought a Harmony One universal remote from Amazon. I went in via the OO link, so I hope we get the credit. I did choose one of the other retailers from the side of the product page as the initial one had low stock and some not-so-great reviews. It was still linked from and checked out via Amazon, so I hope we still get some dinero.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I spend a lot at Amazon. $800 this year so far, more than that last year. I have the OO link bookmarked and I always wondered if it is working.

recent purchases:

pool test strips
George Foreman grill
fisheye camera lens
sterling silver bracelet
hot water valve

good lord, I bought $2031 in 2010. :shock:
I hope you got a percentage of that!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Hmmm, I wonder if Amazon sells FishPants? That would be a great holiday gag gift.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zarathud wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if Amazon sells FishPants? That would be a great holiday gag gift.
FishPants.

Since I live in such a small town, and running down the store for a bit of cable or whatever means an hour of driving and $10 in gas, I just pay for Prime and do almost all of my non-perishable shopping on Amazon. The free shipping is such a good deal and the selection so much better than anywhere local that my former in-laws just give me the money for birthday and Christmas gifts for each other and the kids and have me order. My Amazon purchases in the last year have come to well over $2,000 (even though only a fraction of that is mine.)

The Overlords, or course, got their cut. Eight arms can break a lot of kneecaps.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Lassr wrote:I spend a lot at Amazon. $800 this year so far, more than that last year. I have the OO link bookmarked and I always wondered if it is working.

recent purchases:

pool test strips
George Foreman grill
fisheye camera lens
sterling silver bracelet
hot water valve

good lord, I bought $2031 in 2010. :shock:
I hope you got a percentage of that!
For what it's worth I'm not seeing that in the report for sept/oct at all.
No.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Previously, I remember the list being posted. As the items are anonymous, is there any reason not to do so regularly? It would let us all check and make sure our stuff is showing up.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Blackhawk wrote:Previously, I remember the list being posted. As the items are anonymous, is there any reason not to do so regularly? It would let us all check and make sure our stuff is showing up.
Yep it's called having the time + remembering to do that. But since you asked, here ya go:

August 1 - Nov 2nd

Code: Select all

Item Name
PIAA 19172 168 Xtreme White Wedge Bulb - 2 Piece
BabySmart Cooshee Booster Seat Classic with Travel Bag, Hunter
Kenra Styling Creme # 10 6 oz (2 PACK!)
Redken All Soft Conditioner & Shampoo 33.8 OZ each
3-in-1 Read-Along Storybook and CD: Enchanting Tales (Disney Princess (Disney Press Unnumbered))
Deus Ex: Human Revolution The Official Guide
Dungeon Tiles Master Set - The City: An Essential Dungeons & Dragons Accessory (4th Edition D&D)
Dungeon Tiles Master Set - The Dungeon: An Essential Dungeons & Dragons Accessory (4th Edition D&D)
Eldest (Inheritance, Book 2)
Gamemastery Condition Cards
Goodnight Moon
Halo: Contact Harvest
Mrs. Spitzer's Garden
Music: What Happened?
Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness
The Color of Magic
The Curse of the Wendigo (Monstrumologist)
The Dot (Irma S and James H Black Honor for Excellence in Children's Literature (Awards))
The Isle of Blood (Monstrumologist)
The Lost Beatles Photographs: The Bob Bonis Archive, 1964-1966
The Monstrumologist
The Official Dick Van Dyke Show Book: The Definitive History of Television's Most Enduring Comedy
The Time Paradox (Artemis Fowl, Book 6)
What the Best College Teachers Do
World War II for Kids: A History with 21 Activities (For Kids series)
Zone One: A Novel
Kodak EasyShare Sport C123 (Blue) (New Model)
Kodak PlaySport (Zx5) HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera - Burton Bundle (2nd Generation) NEWEST MODEL
Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic (Newest Version)
Black Horizontal Leather Pouch For Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G Phone Case Cover with Belt Clip Magnetic Closing
LG G2X P999 T-MOBILE SCREEN PROTECTORS - 5 PACK
New Sidekick 2008 GSM Quadband phone for T-Mobile
OtterBox Defender-Series Case and Holster for Samsung Droid Charge (Black)
Samsung Micro USB Travel Charger for Samsung M540 Rant
Samsung Replacement USB Data Charging Cable for Samsung SPH-M330, SCH-R100, SGH-T939, SCH-R850
Transparent Smoke/Solid Black Gummy Cover for LG P999 (G2X)
Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms - CMPSU-650TXV2
Cygnett Soft-Touch Folio with Multi-View Stand for iPad 2 (CY0296CILAV)
Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black)
Logitech Surround Sound Speakers Z506 (980-000430)
Logitech Wireless Anywhere Mouse MX for PC and Mac
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX
i-BLASON Premium Leather Portfolio Red Smart Case Cover Stand with Auto On Off for Apple iPad 2 Wifi / 3G Model 16GB, 32GB, 64GB
Breaking Bad: The Complete Third Season
Cars 2
Castle: The Complete Third Season
Community: The Complete Second Season
Community: The Complete Second Season
Dexter: The Fifth Season
Dungeons & Dragons: The Complete Animated Series
Fringe: The Complete Third Season
Hanna [Blu-ray]
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1
How I Met Your Mother: Season Six
Labyrinth [Blu-ray]
Mickey Mouse Clubhouse - Mickey's Treat
Paul
Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (Blu-Ray + DVD)
Rio (Blu-ray/ DVD Combo + Digital Copy)
Super
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fourth Season
The Color of Magic
The Dark Crystal [Blu-ray]
The Hollywood Knights
Your Highness
AmazonBasics AAA NiMH Precharged Rechargeable Batteries (4-Pack, 800 mAh)
BubCap Home Button Cover (regular) 4-Pack
Corsair Graphite Series 600T Mid-Tower Gaming Case CC600T
HP Color LaserJet CC531A Cyan Print Cartridge in Retail Packaging
HP Laserjet 304A  Magenta Toner in Retail Packaging (CC533A)
HP Laserjet 304A  Yellow Toner in Retail Packaging (CC532A)
Kingston Digital 16 GB USB 2.0 Hi-speed Datatraveler Flash Drive DT101G2/16GBZ, Black
Link Depot HDMI to HDMI Cable (25 feet)
Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote with Color Touch Screen
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1 GB GDDR5 VGA/DL-DVI-I/SL-DVI-D/HDMI/Display Port PCI-Express Video Card 100315L
Skullcandy INK'd Earbuds S2INCZ-045 (Silver/Black)
Sony STR-DH100 2-Channel Audio Receiver (Black)
Terk FDTV2A Omni-Directional Amplified Flat Digital HDTV Antenna (Black)
Verbatim 97459 4.7 GB up to16x Branded Recordable Disc DVD+R (100 Disc Spindle)
Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition [Download]
Battlefield 3 [Download]
Dead Island [Download]
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Standard Edition [Download]
Davidson's Tea Bulk, Earl Grey, 16-Ounce Bag
Davidson's Tea Bulk, Organic Spring Fruit & Flowers, 16-Ounce Bag
Frito Lay Sun Chips Multigrain Variety box - 24 Bags
Pamela's Ultimate Baking and Pancake Mix, 4-Pound Bags (Pack of 3)
Dream Essentials Sweet Dreams Contoured Sleep Mask with Earplugs and Carry Pouch, Black
Panasonic ES8103S Pro-Curve Wet/Dry Rechargeable Linear Pivot Action Shaving System, Silver
Panasonic WES9013PC Combo Replacement Shaver Foil and Blade Set
Philips Sonicare ProResults Standard Brush Heads, 7-Pack
Black & Decker Dual Line AFS Replacement Spool DF-065
Pic 16Oz Boric Acid Roach Killer BA-16
Weber 6415 Small 8-1/2-Inch-by-6-inch Aluminum Drip Pans, Set of 10
Kindle, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers
Be the Pack Leader: Use Cesar's Way to Transform Your Dog . . . and Your Life
Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions
Survivors
The Lies of Locke Lamora
The Raiser's Edge: Tournament-Poker Strategies for Today's Aggressive Game
Thieves' World: First Blood (Thieves' World Anthology)
Picnic Time Manhattan Insulated Two-Bottle Cocktail Case/Bar Tool Kit, Mahogany
2120 South Michigan Ave
604 [Bonus Track Version]
Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)
All Of You [+Digital Booklet]
All Time Greatest Hits
Clear As Day [+digital booklet]
Dreaming Out Loud
Every Breath You Take : The Classics
Gravity The Seducer
Gravity The Seducer
Here Come the 123's
I Just Wanna Be Mad
Light & Magic
Loud [Explicit]
Not A Moment Too Soon
Obscurities
Rare Bird Alert [+Digital Booklet]
Showroom Of Compassion
Sketches Of Spain
Skying
Sweeter [+digital booklet]
Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off
The 99 Most Essential Gregorian Chants
The 99 Most Essential Mozart Masterpieces (Full Works Edition)
The Crow: New Songs For the Five-String Banjo
The London Collection Vol. 1
The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
Toby Keith 35 Biggest Hits
Velocifero
What's The Rumpus?
Wildflower
Wire 1985-1990: The A List (Best Of)
Witching Hour
How to Walk Away
Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
Music Is Awesome 3
5 Pack (1BK/1BK/1C/1M/1Y) Non-OEM Ink Combo for PGI-220 CLI-221 Canon Pixma iP3600 iP4600 iP4700 MP560 MP620 MP640 MX860 MP980 MP990
Classroom Keepser Magazine Holders, 6  Assorted Colors, (001327)
The Pencil Grip Crossover Grip Ergonomic Writing Aid, Metallic Colors, 6 per Polybag
CRYSTAL RING HOLDER - 3" ROUND CRYSTAL RING HOLDER - Ring Holder
Honey-Can-Do Brd-01406 4-Leg Steel Ironing Board
Rowenta DW8080 Pro Master 1700 Watt Steam Iron with 400-Hole Stainless Steel Soleplate
Leather Hybrid Bi-Fold Wallet-World's Thinnest bifold, men's wallet,thin wallet
Mirrycle Incredibell Original Bicycle Bell (Black)
Special COMBO Deal! 4 Packs of Ultra Pro 3 x 4 Top Loads (25/Pack) and Soft Sleeves (100 Top Load Card Holders & 100 Penny Sleeves!)
Whirlpool 8212510A Stainless Steel Cleaning Wipes 35 Count
Create Your own 3 bitty books
Dominion
Elder Sign
Halo Mega Bloks Arctic Combat Unit UNSC White
LEGO City Harbour Marina 4644
LEGO LEGO® City Advent Calendar 7553
LeapFrog Cook and Play Potsy
Mega Bloks Halo UNSC Hornet
Megabloks Battlescape
Playskool Explore and Grow Busy Ball Popper
Space Odyssey Party Supplies Super Party Kit
Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Dance Central 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Fallout: New Vegas
Gears of War 3
Gears of War 3
Halo Wars: Platinum Hits
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
Jade Empire
Kinect Sensor with Kinect Adventures and Child of Eden Token Code
Kirby's Epic Yarn
L.A. Noire
Rage
Casio Men's W756-1AV Digital Sport Watch
No.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Labyrinth [Blu-ray]
The Dark Crystal [Blu-ray]
All Time Greatest Hits
Every Breath You Take : The Classics
Here Come the 123's
Rare Bird Alert [+Digital Booklet]
Sketches Of Spain
Sweeter [+digital booklet]
The 99 Most Essential Gregorian Chants
The 99 Most Essential Mozart Masterpieces (Full Works Edition)
The Crow: New Songs For the Five-String Banjo
The London Collection Vol. 1
What's The Rumpus?
Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition
Rage
:ninja:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Did you get anything from the amazon.ca link? I ordered several volumes of Berserk in September, and while I do remember digging up the link to use, confirmation that it worked would also be cool.
wot?

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Good to see!

Kindle and BF3 download here. I assume Kindle pre-orders don't count until they ship.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

EDIT: Oh, I see. The list scrolls. Yeah, we're cool. Good to see it worked. :horse:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yay! The mouse that I bought a few days ago is on the list!

I don't shop much, but happy to see that OO got a tiny piece of my purchase price. And that list is a lot longer than I thought it would be.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yep, two birthdays, my friend's PC he bought through my Prime accound, and some pre-Christmas shopping all showed up, along with all the various and sundry items.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

These are what I'll fess up to. My numbers are much more huger when I'm employed.

Kenra Styling Creme # 10 6 oz (2 PACK!)
Breaking Bad: The Complete Third Season
i-BLASON Premium Leather Portfolio Red Smart Case Cover Stand with Auto On Off for Apple iPad 2 Wifi / 3G Model 16GB, 32GB, 64GB
The Raiser's Edge: Tournament-Poker Strategies for Today's Aggressive Game
5 Pack (1BK/1BK/1C/1M/1Y) Non-OEM Ink Combo for PGI-220 CLI-221 Canon Pixma iP3600 iP4600 iP4700 MP560 MP620 MP640 MX860 MP980 MP990
Last edited by The Meal on Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Glad to see my toner on there - that shit was expensive.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I just picked up $200 worth of Christmas gifts. Hope the link worked...