OO no longer logs me in automatically

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Bad Demographic

OO no longer logs me in automatically

Post by Bad Demographic »

:cry:
It used to. When I would come to OO, it would automatically log me in. But no more - at least not on this pc. I tried clearing the cache and deleting cookies. No luck.
Any ideas why? Or more to the point - how can I fix this?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: OO no longer logs me in automatically

Post by Zaxxon »

Stupid question, but you're checking the box to keep yourself logged in, correct?
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

We're trying to tell you something.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Bad Demographic

Zaxxon wrote:Stupid question, but you're checking the box to keep yourself logged in, correct?
It sounds like a stupid question, but often the "stupid questions" are the problem (like - is your computer turned on?). But yes, that was the first thing I checked.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

tjg_marantz wrote:We're trying to tell you something.
Just because I won't eat that poutine stuff - or whatever it's called...

Black Lives Matter
Odin

Post by Odin »

I had previously had this problem and absolutely nothing fixed it until I literally wiped and reloaded the PC. Not that I'm suggesting you do that, but once this problem cropped up under Win XP, there was no getting rid of it. Since I wiped and upgraded to Win 7, I've been fine. In the past when I'd had this problem I'd been able to manually delete some OO-related cookies and fix it, but last time no dice. Good luck!
Bad Demographic

Ugh. That could be it, Odin, since the problem is only on my regular computer (which I've had some xp issues on) yet OO keeps me logged in when I use the laptop.
I really don't want to wipe and reload the desktop so I guess I'll just have to live with it. :cry:

Black Lives Matter
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Bad Demographic wrote:Ugh. That could be it, Odin, since the problem is only on my regular computer (which I've had some xp issues on) yet OO keeps me logged in when I use the laptop.
I really don't want to wipe and reload the desktop so I guess I'll just have to live with it. :cry:
This is a longshot, but it's possible (even if you use the browser to delete your cookies) that the folder where your cookies are stored contain cookies that reference this site by IP address instead of domain.

If you find that folder and detect such cookies, deleting them might allow the proper cookies not only to be set but also to be honored.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Perhaps CCleaner could find the errant cookies.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Bad Demographic

Grundbegriff wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote:Ugh. That could be it, Odin, since the problem is only on my regular computer (which I've had some xp issues on) yet OO keeps me logged in when I use the laptop.
This is a longshot, but it's possible (even if you use the browser to delete your cookies) that the folder where your cookies are stored contain cookies that reference this site by IP address instead of domain.

If you find that folder and detect such cookies, deleting them might allow the proper cookies not only to be set but also to be honored.
This looks like it fixed it! Thanks Grund!
(I would have tried Blackhawk's suggestion next).

In case anybody needs to know (or I have to do this again), I use Firefox. I accessed the cookies for OO thusly:
From Firefox: Tools, Options, on Privacy tab "remove individual cookies".
Uh, and apparently I removed all cookies, even though I only meant to delete the OO cookies. :oops:
But then I used Google to "find" OctopusOverlords and got back that way rather than run the risk of loading up old cookies. Logged in. Went to the board index. Saved that address in my bookmarks.

Black Lives Matter
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Huzzah!

FWIW, CCleaner has a cookie management feature. It will allow you to look at all the cookies on your system, conserve the ones you actually want to retain, and nuke the remainder.
Bad Demographic

After all that, it didn't work. So I'll give CCleaner a try.

Black Lives Matter
Odin

Post by Odin »

Bad Demographic wrote:After all that, it didn't work.
Boo! Sorry to hear that. Sounds a LOT like my experience. It's one of those things that shouldn't have been remotely difficult to fix, let alone impossible, but I eventually just gave up and lived with it until it was time to upgrade my O/S. The decision to wipe and reload (rather than just upgrade) was at least partly influenced by my desire to nuke OO from orbit. The need to log in every time to a forum I visit regularly was indescribably irritating.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Another stupid question--have you tried another browser to see whether you get the same behavior?
Odin

Post by Odin »

Dammit! After almost exactly a year of perfect behaviour, suddenly today I find myself logged out every time I come back to OO. Grrrr. I really don't feel like doing a full wipe/reload to fix this, but I didn't have much luck last time with anything short of that. This sucks.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

This changed to my own situation 3 days ago on my work PC as well. (Chrome, WinXP32 running in VM on a WinXP64 machine; haven't monkied with cookies yet as I wasn't really annoyed.)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Odin

Post by Odin »

Thank heavens - not sure what I did, but something seems to have corrected the problem. The things I tried were:

1. I clicked the "remove all board cookies" link at the bottom of the forum (several times).
2. I noticed that the "log me in automatically" checkbox had come unchecked (possibly from clicking the above link or perhaps just to piss me off) and I re-checked it.
3. I can't remember what I was going to write here.
Bad Demographic

Eventually, and because something happened to some windows files that are needed to fire up windows, I had to re-install windows. Fortunately, I didn't lose much. A few of my games got messed up, but most programs I use made it through okay. Now windows works mostly okay (doesn't shut down completely) and OO logs me in automatically.
I SHOULD either wipe my hard drive and reload everything or replace my hardware (which would lead to wiping the hard drive and reloading everything anyway). But for now I'm both too lazy and too cheap.

Black Lives Matter
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Hell, it logged me in automatically and I'd NEVER LOGGED IN ON THIS LAPTOP.

I'd just visited because a friend emailed me that some morphodyte from Quarter to Three I flamed a few years ago is boasting about finishing his degree from DeVry. Why haven't you people banned him already?

Don't make me come back.

(In all seriousness, I've only had this laptop for two months. I was sure I'd never visited OO on it. Guess I was wrong. It's hard not to check in now and then.)
Over here.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Dangit. I've been having the same problem as of yesterday. Whenever I visit, it no longer logs me in, and I'm set to have it remember.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Odin

Post by Odin »

I find that wiping my hard drive and reloading windows fixed the problem. No idea whether less nuclear options would also suffice - the ones I tried never worked.

(note that I did not wipe/reload just to fix the OO login, but I would have been sorely tempted if I hadn't ended up having to do it anyway).