Reminder for Holiday Shopping. Use the OO link!

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

FishPants
Server WhOOre

Reminder for Holiday Shopping. Use the OO link!

Post by FishPants »

Well we are getting pretty close to the holidays already, but the staff thought it couldn't hurt to send a reminder to everyone, that if this holiday you are buying stuff off Amazon that you use our link (Costs remain the same to you, but we get a small cut to help fund the server).

To date the Amazon shopping has kept us pretty much at par (which is great, I was a skeptic initially thinking that it wouldn't generate much revenue for the operating costs). Some months it falls behind and I make up the difference, other months it pushes ahead and I don't have to throw in.

Anyhow if you can use it, please do - helps me keep the costs down to neutral, which makes my marriage smoother ;)
Last edited by FishPants on Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No.
Odin

Re: Reminder for Holiday Shopping. Use the OO link!

Post by Odin »

I wish it was clearer to me how this worked. I often remember to use the link when I initially shop and put something in my cart, but I almost never buy the item right then - I come back at some later date, add more stuff to my cart, and then check out. Or I may just go in, not add anything to my cart, and check out by moving stuff from my "holding zone" into the cart. I'm never sure whether OO's getting credit or not.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Odin wrote:I wish it was clearer to me how this worked. I often remember to use the link when I initially shop and put something in my cart, but I almost never buy the item right then - I come back at some later date, add more stuff to my cart, and then check out. Or I may just go in, not add anything to my cart, and check out by moving stuff from my "holding zone" into the cart. I'm never sure whether OO's getting credit or not.
I honestly have no idea, and there really isn't anything online that I could find to answer that for you.. I will keep poking around when I have time, but if anyone else knows offhand feel free to chime in.
No.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

I bookmarked the OO Amazon link and deleted the old non-referral link. So anytime I go to Amazon directly, I'm sure OO is getting the credit.
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

FishPants wrote:
Odin wrote:I wish it was clearer to me how this worked. I often remember to use the link when I initially shop and put something in my cart, but I almost never buy the item right then - I come back at some later date, add more stuff to my cart, and then check out. Or I may just go in, not add anything to my cart, and check out by moving stuff from my "holding zone" into the cart. I'm never sure whether OO's getting credit or not.
I honestly have no idea, and there really isn't anything online that I could find to answer that for you.. I will keep poking around when I have time, but if anyone else knows offhand feel free to chime in.

I clear my cart and close out, open a browser, use the link and reload my cart. But that's me.

Just use the link as often as you can/remember. I don't think we want to make it a burden to use.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Thanks for the reminder. I always forget to do this.

I typically do around 75% of my Christmas shopping online, mostly from Amazon, so I'll be sure to send OO some love this season.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

LawBeefaroni wrote:I clear my cart and close out, open a browser, use the link and reload my cart. But that's me.

Just use the link as often as you can/remember. I don't think we want to make it a burden to use.
I load the cart, go "aw yeah, OO link!", close the other session, then use the link before checking out. I think it probably works because FishPants is getting money from somewhere.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

When I open a non-OO Amazon link and start selecting items, I save them to my wishlist, then close that instance and relog back in via the OO link. Makes it pretty painless when I forget to go to Amazon through OO in the first place.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Odin

Post by Odin »

So it sounds as if using the OO link in the same session where you CHECK OUT is probably key? That makes sense, though I was rather hoping that using the think when I put them in my cart, even if I didn't buy them in that same session, would work, too. Probably no way to know for sure, but I haven't always remembered to switch to the OO link when checking out. :(
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I suspect it doesn't "stick" until you actually give Amazon your money.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Odin wrote:That makes sense, though I was rather hoping that using the think when I put them in my cart, even if I didn't buy them in that same session, would work, too.
I doubt it. We don't pay more for purchases made when we use the referral link, so if OO gets money during those purchases, that money must come from Amazon's coffers. Based on that I'd think they have little incentive to be overly permissive of referral links.
Probably no way to know for sure
That's the frustrating thing. Amazon makes it impossible for the purchasee to know if that specific purchase is used for referral monies. I'm not sure the extent that Fishpants gets a breakdown of purchases (maybe I should get an "Octopus Speargun" or something and folks can see if the Overlords remove me from the site).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I didn't know about this and will try to remember to use it.....
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

my Amazon link in Firefox is the OO link bookmarked. I've bought over $1000 from Amazon in the past 2 months so hopefully that's a nice payment to OO.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Thanks for the reminder - didn't know this existed but set up a link and just bought some stuff through the link! Thanks for keeping the servers up and running and providing this corner of the internets that feels like home!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Throw me in with the crowd who set their Amazon bookmark to the OO link. Haven't purchased much lately, but at least a little of what I have has gone to my internet home.
Odin

Post by Odin »

See my problem is that I don't really use bookmarks all that much. The pages I visit regularly I just keep open in Firefox tabs, and when I want to go to a page that I only visit occasionally but which has an easy-to-remember URL like amazon or wikipedia, I just type it into the address bar. I'm forever popping into Amazon to look something up, but I only end up going there to actually buy something one time out of twenty. I'm sure I've made $50 or $100 Amazon purchases that I either thought would be getting OO credit but probably did not, or that I just forgot all about because I'd finally decided to buy a thing, went in, loaded stuff from my saved list into my cart and bought it without ever invoking the OO link.

So, sorry. I really do try to use it and I'm sure I have a few times, but I've probably missed as many opportunities as I've used.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Odin wrote: So, sorry. I really do try to use it and I'm sure I have a few times, but I've probably missed as many opportunities as I've used.
Don't fret about it, any use is appreciated.

However, I find that a "USE OO LINK" tattoo on my mouse hand helps me remember more times than not.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't do much Amazon shopping. Usually when I shop online it's through specialty shops. So if the reserves get low and your wife gets suspicious, don't be afraid to do a charity drive.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

I am proud that when I bought a laptop a few months back, I used the OO link!
And with Christmas coming up, I'll be using it again.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Debris

Post by Debris »

I never knew about the link, but i was planning on placing an order yesterday. Good thing I saw this thread as I was able to make my purchases.

Thanks OO.
:wink:
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Will do, it's important to keep a marriage happy! OO with Amazon is bookmarked!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
JC Anejo

Post by JC Anejo »

Thanks for the reminder. Just did most of my shopping :csmile: A kindle, new Ipod touch, a bunch of stuff for the kitchen and some Wii games made for a nice purchase and no trip to Mall Hell
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Just placed a small order this morning and actually remembered to use the link.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I need to remember this myself. I generally go to Amazon through the Firefox search utility, so I never actually use a link.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Odin

Post by Odin »

I finally remembered to use the link for my last couple of purchases. They weren't huge, but at least I finally feel like I'm doing my part.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Used it for all my purchases this year. Thanks for the reminder!!!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Used it for my one purchase. I'm so money.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I clicked. I bought. I demand 5% of your 5%.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

So, do you get a list of items bought using the link? I hope not, because I'd hate for anyone to find out I ordered a Hannah Montana CD for my 6 year old niece.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Fishpants can confirm, but I'm pretty sure it just gives an aggregated list of items. No idea to tell who bought what.

Unless you come here and confess your guilt. :lol:

MYT
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Fishpants can confirm, but I'm pretty sure it just gives an aggregated list of items. No idea to tell who bought what.

If it's anonymous then that list should totally be posted. Let's see what kind of sick and twisted items this community bought for Christmas! :twisted:
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

J.D. wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Fishpants can confirm, but I'm pretty sure it just gives an aggregated list of items. No idea to tell who bought what.

If it's anonymous then that list should totally be posted. Let's see what kind of sick and twisted items this community bought for Christmas! :twisted:
The baby ring toy that eventually becomes a tiger shaped ring toy is totally the fault of my niece.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Yes, that Gilmore Girls DVD set is mine. ;)
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

For the month of December here's the list.. It's surprisingly boring and predictable ;)

Code: Select all

Product Line	Item Name
Apparel & Accessories	Columbia Girls 2-6X Toddler Bohemian Belle Bib, White Print, 3T
Beauty	Lava Tech 4 in 1 Rotating Ceramic Styler #Lt1124
Books	More Steps to Heaven: If You Didn't Make it the First Time
Books	Twelve Steps to Heaven: My First Impression of Sex (Powerfresh)
Books	Amelia Bedelia Goes Camping (I Can Read Book 2)
Books	Amelia Bedelia Helps Out (I Can Read Book 2)
Books	Amelia Bedelia and the Baby (I Can Read Book 2)
Books	Amelia Bedelia's Masterpiece (I Can Read Book 2)
Books	Amelia Bedelia, Bookworm (I Can Read Book 2)
Books	Merry Christmas, Amelia Bedelia (I Can Read Book 2)
Books	Teach Us, Amelia Bedelia (I Can Read Book 2)
Books	The Little Lamb (Pictureback(R))
Books	One Hundred More Poems from the Japanese (New Directions Books)
Books	Let's Cut Paper! (Kumon First Steps Workbooks)
Books	Let's Sticker & Paste! (Kumon First Steps Workbooks)
Books	More Sideways Arithmetic From Wayside School
Books	Sideways Arithmetic From Wayside School
Books	Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth
Books	The Choice
Books	The Wedding
Books	Amelia Bedelia Collection (I Can Read Book 2)
Books	The Gathering Storm (The Wheel of Time)
Books	Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor
Books	The Williams-Sonoma Collection: Soup
Books	Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!
Books	The Moscow Puzzles: 359 Mathematical Recreations (Math & Logic Puzzles)
Books	ChiRunning: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running
Books	My Heart Is Like a Zoo
Books	Wabi Sabi
Books	Meditations from the Mat: Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga
Books	Wayside School Boxed Set: Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger, Wayside School is Falling Down, Sideway Stories from Wayside School
Books	Lord Sunday (The Keys To The Kingdom)
Books	American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House (New York Times Notable Books)
Books	Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook
Books	Cloven Hooves
Books	Apple Confidential 2.0: The Definitive History of the World's Most Colorful Company
Books	Takashi's Noodles
Books	Windows 7 Administrator's Pocket Consultant
Books	Architectural Drawing: A Visual Compendium of Types and Methods (3rd edition)
Books	Harry Potter Paperback Box Set (Books 1-7)
DVD	Slumdog Millionaire
DVD	The Blind Side
DVD	District 9 [Blu-ray]
DVD	The Wrestler [Blu-ray]
DVD	Watchmen (Director's Cut + BD-Live) [Blu-ray]
DVD	Wayside - The Movie
DVD	District 9 (Single-Disc Edition)
DVD	Watchmen: Tales of the Black Freighter & Under the Hood
DVD	Final Fantasy VII - Advent Children (Two-Disc Special Edition)
DVD	Kenny
DVD	Iron Man 2 (Single-Disc Edition)
DVD	Salt (Deluxe Unrated Edition)
DVD	Watchmen: The Director's Cut (Two-Disc Special Edition)
DVD	Inception (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)
DVD	Charlie Chan Collection, Vol. 4 (Charlie Chan in Honolulu / Charlie Chan in Reno / Charlie Chan at Treasure Island / City in Darkness) (4DVD)
DVD	Fruits Basket Box Set (Viridian Collection)
Electronics	PANASONIC PP104A Replacement Battery for Cordless Telephone
Electronics	RCA ANT1050 Digital Flat Passive Ultra-Slim-Profile Antenna with Enhanced Reception (Black)
Electronics	Logitech Keyboard K120
Electronics	Kingston 4 GB Class 4 SDHC Flash Memory Card 2-Pack SD4/4GB-2P
Electronics	Kensington K72355US Pro Fit USB/PS2 Wired Mid-Size Mouse
Electronics	Transcend 16GB Class 10 SDHC Card (TS16GSDHC10)
Electronics	Logitech Wireless Mouse M505 (Black)
Electronics	Coby Dp700Blk 7-Inch Digital Photo Frame
Electronics	Logitech Wireless Performance Mouse MX for PC and Mac
Electronics	Apple TV MC572LL/A (2010)
Electronics	Kodak PlaySport (Zx3) HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera (Black) NEWEST MODEL
Electronics	Panasonic KX-TG6545B DECT 6.0 PLUS Expandable Digital Cordless Answering System with 5 Handsets
Electronics	Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote with Color Touch Screen
Electronics	Canon SX30IS 14.1MP Digital Camera with 35x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7 Inch Wide LCD
Electronics	LG 42LD450 42-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV
Grocery	Twinings English Breakfast Tea, K-Cups for Keurig Brewers, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 2)
Health & Personal Care	Ultimate Omega-D3 - Lemon - 120 - Softgel
Kindle Hardware	Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Wi-Fi, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology
Kindle Hardware	Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G Works Globally, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology
Kindle eBooks	Mech 2 (Imperium Series)
Kindle eBooks	Quarter Share (Solar Clipper Trader Tales)
Kitchen & Housewares	Fiskars 93907097 Pre-School Spring Action Scissors
Kitchen & Housewares	A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at the office Mug
Kitchen & Housewares	Norpro Silicone Pastry Mat with Measures
Kitchen & Housewares	Cuisinart CSB-76 SmartStick 200-Watt Immersion Hand Blender, White
Kitchen & Housewares	Magic Decanter Red Wine Aerator PLUS - Includes Sediment Filter & Travel Bag
Kitchen & Housewares	Deluxe Leather Photo Album with Faux Suede Interior Lining - Stores 300 Pictures, Brown
Kitchen & Housewares	Sunbeam Royal Nights Twin Heated Blanket, Mushroom
Kitchen & Housewares	Nesco FD-75PR 700-Watt Food Dehydrator
Kitchen & Housewares	Shun Ken Onion 5-Inch Utility Knife
Kitchen & Housewares	Nespresso Citiz Silver Chrome Espresso Maker & Milk Frother D 120 SI
MP3 Downloads	Elephunk
MP3 Downloads	A Magical Celtic Christmas
MP3 Downloads	Tron: Legacy (Amazon MP3 Exclusive Version) [+digital booklet]
MP3 Downloads	A Skaggs Family Christmas
MP3 Downloads	And Winter Came
MP3 Downloads	Christmas Album
MP3 Downloads	Dig That Crazy Christmas
MP3 Downloads	Manners [+digital booklet]
MP3 Downloads	Sigh No More
MP3 Downloads	The Cars
MP3 Downloads	The E.N.D. (The Energy Never Dies)
MP3 Downloads	Bluegrass Christmas
MP3 Downloads	See Mystery Lights
MP3 Downloads	Industrial Complex
MP3 Downloads	James Brown's Funky Christmas
MP3 Downloads	Anastasia
Music	Cat Stevens - Greatest Hits
Music	Glee: The Music, The Christmas Album
Music	EXPO 86
Music	Yoga
Music	Forever Blue
Music	Rome: Music from the HBO Series
Music	World Hits
Music	It's Entertainment!
Music	The Wanamaker Legacy
Music	Frog Concertos, Volume I: A Sampler
Music	Grand Celebration (Dig)
Office Products	SunWorks Construction Paper, 9 inches x12 inches, 100 Sheets Per Package, Assorted Colors (6504)
Shoes	Stacy Adams Men's Rafferty Bicycle Toe Oxford,Grey Multi,8.5 M US
Sports & Outdoors	Serfas Speed Bag, Red, Medium
Sports & Outdoors	ful Women's Brickhouse Sling Bag (Black, 22 x 11 x 6-Inch)
Tools & Hardware	Winchester 22-01324  2.5" Brass Folder
Tools & Hardware	Winchester 22-01335 3-Inch Folder S/E Clip Wood Inlay Pocket Knife
Toys & Games	Crayola Giant Finger Paint Paper Pad - 1 Ea
Toys & Games	Crayola 4ct Washable Fingerpaints Primary
Toys & Games	Crayola 3 Ct Washable Tadoodles Crayon Buddies
Toys & Games	Crayola Air Dry Clay 2.5 Lb Bucket, White
Toys & Games	Ty Beanie Baby Hello Kitty Tartan
Toys & Games	Melissa & Doug Jumbo Knob Wooden Farm Puzzle
Toys & Games	Baby Plush Stacking & Sorting Rings Early Learning Educational Animal Toy With Rattle Sound In Ring - Lion
Toys & Games	Play-doh Star Wars Playset
Toys & Games	Bohnanza Game
Toys & Games	The Settlers of Catan 5-6 Player Extension
Toys & Games	Crayola Beginnings Baby Tubtime Tracers
Toys & Games	Mexican Train To Go, Number Dominoes
Toys & Games	Ravensburger Labyrinth
Toys & Games	Barbie Collector Twilight Saga Eclipse Alice Doll
Toys & Games	Imagine Nation Pottery Wheel
Toys & Games	Fisher-Price Imaginext DC Super Friends The Batmobile
Toys & Games	Dominion Big Box 2010 Amazon Exclusive
Video Games	AC-130: Operation Devastation
Video Games	Order of War
Video Games	Age of Empires III, Gold Edition
Video Games	Alpha Protocol
Video Games	Age of Mythology Gold Edition
Video Games	New Play Control! Pikmin
Video Games	Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Video Games	Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Video Games	Casual Mania
Video Games	Final Fantasy X
Video Games	Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2
Video Games	Ion IED07 Premium Rock Band Drum Kit for Xbox 360
On the plus side the site has earned $280 to put towards hosting fees (almost 4 months worth) which is a big help. So thanks gang!
No.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Yay! I see some of my stuff on there!

But whoa, all of that junk only generated $280?? It's a good thing our needs are apparently very modest.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Turtle wrote:Yes, that Gilmore Girls DVD set is mine. ;)
Oy, with the poodles already!

And I see some of my stuff there, but not all. Either they're behind on updating you, or I'll have to be more careful in how I order in the future.
MHS

Post by MHS »

I don't see any of the stuff I ordered, and I know I used the link.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

How long ago? That list includes items I bought on the 17th.
wot?

MHS

Post by MHS »

silverjon wrote:How long ago? That list includes items I bought on the 17th.
Hmmm. My order was placed on 11-29, I guess I started shopping earlier than I thought. :)
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

There are several items I ordered before the 17th that aren't listed. And I'm pretty sure I used my bookmarked link each time. Is there something wrong with using this link when bookmarked?