Board Slowness

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Odin

Board Slowness

Post by Odin »

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm seeing all sorts of board slowness. It's not consistent - I managed to get here just fine, but posting/replying to threads takes forever, and I find that many times I need to perform an operation (clicking a link or button) twice before it actually happens. I'm not having similar problems at any other sites, so whether it's a local issue or server-side, it's definitely localized to OO.
Odin

Re: Board Slowness

Post by Odin »

FWIW, posting this thread went through seamlessly, but the last post I made in EBG required me to click the "quote" button, wait for a while while OO "thought about it," then finally get bored of waiting and click "quote" again, at which point the command went through fine. I typed in my message and clicked submit. More waiting. Finally I clicked out to the Board Index and went back into EBG to find that my post had indeed gone through, it just never brought me to the "view the post you just submitted or return to the previous forum" screen. That's pretty much what I've been seeing since yesterday (Saturday).
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Odin wrote:FWIW, posting this thread went through seamlessly, but the last post I made in EBG required me to click the "quote" button, wait for a while while OO "thought about it," then finally get bored of waiting and click "quote" again, at which point the command went through fine. I typed in my message and clicked submit. More waiting. Finally I clicked out to the Board Index and went back into EBG to find that my post had indeed gone through, it just never brought me to the "view the post you just submitted or return to the previous forum" screen. That's pretty much what I've been seeing since yesterday (Saturday).
Logs are clean including the slow SQL query log. Anyone else having this problem?

Couldn't hurt to run a trace route to OO and see if there's a slow hop along the way... Sounds like Internet pathing.
No.
stessier

Post by stessier »

no problems here and I'm surfing on a Touchpad.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'm not having the same experience as Odin.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Odin

Post by Odin »

It seems to have corrected itself now. I haven't had a problem in a couple of days.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Is the forum lagging and timing out for other people or just me? I'm not having problems with other sites as far as I can tell.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

LordMortis wrote:Is the forum lagging and timing out for other people or just me? I'm not having problems with other sites as far as I can tell.
I'm clipping along at a nice speed.. But then again maybe I'm biased ;)
No.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Responding well for me.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Boards are really, really slow right now for me. My traceroute is clear, and everywhere else on the internet is responsive, so it's something with OO.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Getting some slow loads here too. However, not consistently. Some pages come up fine, while others were noticeably slow.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kind of sluggish for me too from the phone

Epic 4g/Tapatalk
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I posted in the update thread ya know...I thought it was all ok again but i seem to have a small hitch still on loading the threads. Sometimes it wont load them fully still and I have to refresh and wait and it will.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rip

Post by Rip »

I think it was some backups that FP was doing. Should be all good now.

Rip
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Still experiencing slowness.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Faster than last night, but still slow here as well.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Very bad again for me...has been all night.Was better earlier.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

SssssLllllOoooo....................................................Wwww.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Having the same issues here.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

Yes, very slow. When loading it seems to start and stop. When it's working it loads at 6KB/s.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It took me three tries just to log in this morning.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Ticket open, related to networking outside of the box.
No.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

All should be well now it would seem. Keeping an eye on it.
No.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

FishPants wrote:Yep that was the backup.. Scheduled now for Sunday mornings at 230am eastern time (for the full), daily incrementals will happen as well at 2am eastern.
Any chance of tweaking this for the west coast gamers? Maybe Full on Monday mornings at 3:30 est (depending on how long they take), and incrementals daily at the same time?

Epic 4g/Tapatalk

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Pyperkub wrote:
FishPants wrote:Yep that was the backup.. Scheduled now for Sunday mornings at 230am eastern time (for the full), daily incrementals will happen as well at 2am eastern.
Any chance of tweaking this for the west coast gamers? Maybe Full on Monday mornings at 3:30 est (depending on how long they take), and incrementals daily at the same time?

Epic 4g/Tapatalk
Last time I checked awstats it showed that as the slowest time. Keep in mind the full backup only takes 6 minutes to dump (when it locks the tables); the rest of the time it's just compressing the file.
No.
Pyperkub

Re: Re: Board Slowness

Post by Pyperkub »

FishPants wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:

Epic 4g/Tapatalk
Last time I checked awstats it showed that as the slowest time. Keep in mind the full backup only takes 6 minutes to dump (when it locks the tables); the rest of the time it's just compressing the file.
Roger, it was just really sluggish last night after my Amnesia session. I guess kelric isn't posting after late night partying on Saturdays anymore :)

Epic 4g/Tapatalk

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've been getting slow connection time outs for the last two days. No sweat off my nuts but I thought it might be good to report as an FYI.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Hrmm and here I thought it was snappier then it had ever been to me the last couple of days. Maybe my Canadian bandwidth is soiling your pipes?
No.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

FishPants wrote:Hrmm and here I thought it was snappier then it had ever been to me the last couple of days. Maybe my Canadian bandwidth is soiling your pipes?
It's snappy as it's ever been right now and is most of the time. If it's my pipes then it's my pipe's routing... sometimes... as they get to everywhere else (that I go) fine enough. Again, no sweat. Just an observation.

(Will remember to route if/when it happens again)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The slow down happened another couple of times this afternoon. While the latency wasn't listed as bad (60ms) Asterisks started popping up around 10ge1-1.jax01.volumedrive.com [69.31.135.30] which is the last listed hop from me to OO.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Was getting massive slow-ups until about ten minutes ago. Things seem fast for the moment.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ping is coming back at 5-600ms. at the moment.

10ge1-1.jax01.volumedrive.com (69.31.135.30) seems to be the culprit, last hop before I get to the site.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

They are looking into it, all customers are affected.
No.
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

The board loads fine and navigates around relatively quickly, but I'm having delays when I try to respond to a post and even longer delays when I try and post the new response. As in minutes of delays in the latter case. This has been going on for awhile now, though the length of time varies a bit time to time. And its not my 'net connection, because while I'm waiting I can open another tab and surf around with no issues. I'm pretty sure the new post is being submitted correctly, but my browser isn't being told that so it sits there waiting to be told the posting has been completed. In almost all cases when I've given up and loaded back into the board the new post was up.
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Sarkus wrote:The board loads fine and navigates around relatively quickly, but I'm having delays when I try to respond to a post and even longer delays when I try and post the new response. As in minutes of delays in the latter case. This has been going on for awhile now, though the length of time varies a bit time to time. And its not my 'net connection, because while I'm waiting I can open another tab and surf around with no issues. I'm pretty sure the new post is being submitted correctly, but my browser isn't being told that so it sits there waiting to be told the posting has been completed. In almost all cases when I've given up and loaded back into the board the new post was up.
Do a traceroute to the board address and let me know if you see a slowdown somewhere along the lines? I'm not seeing that behaviour on this end, and wondering if there isn't a network burp somewhere between you and the Florida data center.
No.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Sarkus wrote:The board loads fine and navigates around relatively quickly, but I'm having delays when I try to respond to a post and even longer delays when I try and post the new response. As in minutes of delays in the latter case. This has been going on for awhile now, though the length of time varies a bit time to time. And its not my 'net connection, because while I'm waiting I can open another tab and surf around with no issues. I'm pretty sure the new post is being submitted correctly, but my browser isn't being told that so it sits there waiting to be told the posting has been completed. In almost all cases when I've given up and loaded back into the board the new post was up.
I just noticed what time you posted this at, which is pretty much exactly when the cron scripts run to backup the database nightly (and when the script runs, it will behave exactly like that as it locks the database tables as it dumps). Does it do it in the middle of the day or only around 2am eastern?
No.
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

FishPants wrote:
I just noticed what time you posted this at, which is pretty much exactly when the cron scripts run to backup the database nightly (and when the script runs, it will behave exactly like that as it locks the database tables as it dumps). Does it do it in the middle of the day or only around 2am eastern?
It was slow to load into creating this post, so its not the 2AM eastern thing.
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been running great for me for a week. Thank you for your work.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Sarkus wrote:
FishPants wrote:
It was slow to load into creating this post, so its not the 2AM eastern thing.
Post or PM a traceroute for me? (If you post it, remove/mask the first set(s) of IPs in the list so you don't drop your pants internet style).
No.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Daehawk wrote: Thank you for your work.
First, this. Thanks to all of those who keep this place going!

Currently getting very spotty performance. Sometimes pages time out and won't load, sometimes they just load very, very slowly. And in between those times, it can be lightning-fast, possibly faster than I've ever seen it. I've never experienced this before. Maybe it was just a hickup, or doing a backup. Possibly I'm posting this too soon, as it's been going on for only about 20 minutes. Seems fine at the moment; lightning-fast!
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd