Help me with OO's cloud backup

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

FishPants
Server WhOOre

Help me with OO's cloud backup

Post by FishPants »

I need to start storing our sizeable backups on the cloud as a safety precaution, and that's easier said then done when running a linux server.

It ends up that SpiderOak has a linux CLI (that actually works), but the free account starts at 2gb a month. With referrals we can get that up to 50gb of free online storage, and that's where you guys come in.

If you have a moment please use this link to sign up for the service free, and make sure you download/install the client (you can uninstall/remove afterwards if you don't need it). There's no scumware or toolbars or any of that other crap, and so far seems like a decent service (We both get an added GB with every activation).

Thanks again OOers! Hopefully it won't take long to get 50 people signed up (we really only need about 10 people ASAP to cover current backup needs), and I will move this back to Meta in a day or two.
Last edited by FishPants on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
No.
Odin

Re: Help me with OO's cloud backup

Post by Odin »

Done! I see that I have 3gb of space rather than 2, so I'm taking that as confirmation that everything worked. Thanks, Fishpants!
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Odin wrote:Done! I see that I have 3gb of space rather than 2, so I'm taking that as confirmation that everything worked. Thanks, Fishpants!
Sure did thanks! Also you apparently don't need to install it either.. Just did the download from another computer and it added a gig. That or someone else did it at the same time.
No.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I believe I signed up. I'm at work so I didn't actually download the software but I'll try that when I get home.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I signed up and downloaded but did not install as I am at work. Let me know if it requires us to install to give you credit.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I almost downloaded it to my Dropbox, but I was afraid it might cause a space-time rift so I didn't. :D
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Downloaded and installed.

:csmile:
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Thanks gang, up to 8gb of space now.. a couple more and I will de-sticky this and shove it over in Meta. Tested the cron script to backup to it nightly, and it seems to work without a hitch.
No.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Signed up, downloaded. I may even try this out.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
deadzone

Post by deadzone »

signed up at work. Downloaded but diid not install. Dunno if it worked or not for you to get the extra gig but I will be sure to do it tonight from my home computer.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

deadzone wrote:signed up at work. Downloaded but diid not install. Dunno if it worked or not for you to get the extra gig but I will be sure to do it tonight from my home computer.
I know Dropbox has a similar referral reward system and you don't get the extra space until the client is installed.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

signed up but haven't downloaded yet. Will tonight.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Enough

Post by Enough »

Signed up, will install later if need be.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Signed up and installed the client. I also had 3GB available. Wake me when they offer 300GB for free.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

We are almost there.. If everyone reading this could just create a dummy email account and sign up/download the client after registering that would get us to where we need to be for full server backups for a month on rotation.

I'll de-sticky this weekend regardless, however it only takes 2 minutes to fill in the 4 fields and download the client gang!
No.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I meant to do this last night but then I had pizza and passed out. (How sad is that?) I will get to it tonight.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

For what it's worth I created a new gmail account, registered and downloaded and got the free gb. Didn't need to install it.
No.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Signed up and downloadified.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Signed up, downloaded.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

I'll mention the "plan" over dinner tonight and sure we will help out too. This is of course if he hasn't already done so :)
Very excited cause I can use the name FishPants in a sentance soon! Woo-Hoo!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Dammit! Forgot again. I've got a sticky now. Tonight I will remember!
DD*

Post by DD* »

d/l'ing right now...
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Done done and done! Hope it helps.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm in.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Thanks everyone with your help (and some mailinator registrations) I've got our account to the max amount (50gb)!
No.
theohall

Post by theohall »

Man, you all are fast. Signed up anyway with the link.
Odin

Post by Odin »

FishPants wrote:Thanks everyone with your help (and some mailinator registrations) I've got our account to the max amount (50gb)!
That's a sweet amount of space. I could actually do stuff with 50 gb. I'm tempted to put out the call myself, except that my attempts to pimp my dropbox were at best mildly successful.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Odin wrote:
FishPants wrote:Thanks everyone with your help (and some mailinator registrations) I've got our account to the max amount (50gb)!
That's a sweet amount of space. I could actually do stuff with 50 gb. I'm tempted to put out the call myself, except that my attempts to pimp my dropbox were at best mildly successful.
All you need is to fill out the form 50 times on your own referral link with @mailinator accounts (don't need to accept download, don't need to install) to get 1gb per account. Took me 30 minutes or so to fill the gap beyond what OO had already done (9gb).
No.
Odin

Post by Odin »

FishPants wrote:
Odin wrote:
All you need is to fill out the form 50 times on your own referral link with @mailinator accounts (don't need to accept download, don't need to install) to get 1gb per account. Took me 30 minutes or so to fill the gap beyond what OO had already done (9gb).
Hmmm. Now that has potential! Thanks!!
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Why do they tolerate obvious gaming of their system?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Presumably we get nerfed later and they get a nice database now.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote:Presumably we get nerfed later and they get a nice database now.
Or they change terms of service and then you either you start paying money or you lose the process you have in place.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Or possibly they just accept that a certain percentage of people will game the system, but that most won't think of it or won't know how and will legitimately find people to network with. Given the relatively low cost of network drive space, they may be willing to write off a few GB of space by some cheaters because of the number of legitimate referrals they get.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Grundbegriff wrote:Why do they tolerate obvious gaming of their system?
I think this method is pretty new for Spider Oak which historically was a pretty crude (but solid) online backup solution. Only recently has it received the flashy interface and ease of use stuff (while maintaining Linux support! Yay us!).

I'd guess that they need numbers of people real or not for either financing support or to sell the company down the road.
No.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

FishPants wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:Why do they tolerate obvious gaming of their system?
I think this method is pretty new for Spider Oak which historically was a pretty crude (but solid) online backup solution. Only recently has it received the flashy interface and ease of use stuff (while maintaining Linux support! Yay us!).

I'd guess that they need numbers of people real or not for either financing support or to sell the company down the road.
Slow to the thread, but they probably planned on somewhere in between the min and max space for each user. So they've already budgetted for more space per user, but are making them work (to the company's advantage) to get extra storage (which was already part of their storage/price business model calculations).

They let people game them because they don't actually care, and the rare legit referal helps their business. Maybe.