Private Message-ing

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

KKBlue

Private Message-ing

Post by KKBlue »

Just wondering if the PM is set on a delay? Know phpBB has a setting in the admin boards for a timed release and wondering if it's activated for the users?

I've had a message sitting in my outbox for about 15 minutes now. NOT complaining at all cause sometimes it is good to rethink things before it goes out there. This PM was a quick one while a member was logged in and I wanted to catch them before they logged off and I turned off the computer.

Yes, other PMs have been sent but feel this is common for how my mail on OO works. Don't think I've ever had a PM get sent as soon as I hit submit come to think of it.

Thanks fellas.

Adding I peeked around the User Control Panel and didn't notice anything cked off that would cause a delay with PMs.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Fretmute

Private Message-ing

Post by Fretmute »

It will sit in your outbox until it is read. The delay is the recipient's fault.
KKBlue

Re: Private Message-ing

Post by KKBlue »

OH!
Thanks Fretmute, that explains a lot if the PM's actions.
Kind of an odd program. Think that would be explained somewhere. Now I'm hoping it isn't explained in an area where I should easily notice it :?

Again, thanks for the clarity.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Our forum software has a user guide. 5.5 covers PM behavior.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Thank you.
The 5.5.3 info was perfect.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I didn't read the guide but the cliff notes version for future reference (gleaned through actual use and observation only, so if the guide contradicts me, go with the guide!) is -

The PM sits there until it is read by the recipient. If there are multiple recipients, the first one to read it makes it disappear from your outbox.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Part of the reason it sits in your outbox until it's read is that you can edit messages in your outbox. Once it's read (and leaves the outbox) you can't edit it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Don't feel bad. I made the same mistake a while back.
Covfefe!
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Thanks for the replies :)

Asking questions (I believe) is valid when the one asking at least does some form of searching first. Because of being hesitant to raise my hand in the classroom, I've become a bit more assertive if I can't seem to figure it out. Appreciate the feed back.
stessier

Post by stessier »

KKBlue wrote:Asking questions (I believe) is valid when the one asking at least does some form of searching first.
If this is the tenet you have been following, no wonder you have so few posts!!! :D

Here it is ask questions first, look for obvious answers later.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles