Attention Lurkers

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

FishPants
Server WhOOre

Attention Lurkers

Post by FishPants »

If you're a lurker with zero posts, I'd ask that you post a few times soon before your account gets the axe. In an effort to combat the bots, I will be implementing a routine to delete zero post accounts that are more than ten days old. This WILL be retroactive.

I will make this a global sticky for a few days, so if you're not a bot, post a lot! Sorry that's the best rhyme I could do this morning.
Last edited by FishPants on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
No.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Re: Attention Lurkers

Post by FishPants »

Oh and this will be implemented somewhere around the 25th of July.
No.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't have as many posts as some people and I registered late. Am I safe?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Oh! A clever ruse to lure out the lurkers. Lets see how many people we can get to show up that we can then accuse of being a bot so we can get rid of all the bots.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Shut up, bot boy.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

If lurkers need a place to post, I made one here.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

{Will there be|Is there a plan to|Do you have the ability to} {check|analize|inspect} {the posts|the responses} {that people|that folks|that we} {submit|post|make} {to determine|to know | to figure out} if it's {really|actually|for-sure} a {bot|program|agent|script} {creating|generating|making} {the posts|the responses}?
tgb

Post by tgb »

Are lurkers who post just to avoid having their accounts deleted still lurkers?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote:{Will there be|Is there a plan to|Do you have the ability to} {check|analize|inspect} {the posts|the responses} {that people|that folks|that we} {submit|post|make} {to determine|to know | to figure out} if it's {really|actually|for-sure} a {bot|program|agent|script} {creating|generating|making} {the posts|the responses}?
Any bot that checks in and parses announcements about bot purging and then posts to avoid the purge...well, what's that XKCD strip? This one? We'd be halfway there.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Just a thought -- since you can lurk just fine without logging in, there is really no purpose to anyone having a zero-post account. I'd just delete them with extreme prejudice.
Black Lives Matter
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Jeff V wrote:Just a thought -- since you can lurk just fine without logging in, there is really no purpose to anyone having a zero-post account.
That's not true. You have to log in to change the default theme.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Then the default theme should be black background with black text. Problem solved.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Fretmute wrote:
Jeff V wrote:Just a thought -- since you can lurk just fine without logging in, there is really no purpose to anyone having a zero-post account.
Even if you don't post, logging in lets you use the 'read/unread' features to better keep track of the threads you're reading.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

wonderpug wrote:
Fretmute wrote:
Even if you don't post, logging in lets you use the 'read/unread' features to better keep track of the threads you're reading.
Yep. The best feature ever...
Bashtor

Post by Bashtor »

I am not a

I mean bot.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Bashtor wrote:I am not a

I mean bot.
With only 21 posts, are you sure?
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Silent Kajun

Post by Silent Kajun »

**grumble grumble**...making me delurk...*mumble grumble mumble*...name is "silent" for a reason..**grumble**.........
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Silent Kajun wrote:**grumble grumble**...making me delurk...*mumble grumble mumble*...name is "silent" for a reason..**grumble**.........
Wait, do we have another S. Louisiana member?
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

before the great purge happens, I just want to say it has been great hanging with all you fine folks. We all know what's going to happen. A > sign will be mistakenly used instead of < or = and all us human posters will be deleted leaving the forum under the control of the bots. Probably how Skynet gets started...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

After finding all the real people the SPAM will begin!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Silent Kajun

Post by Silent Kajun »

miltonite wrote:
Silent Kajun wrote:**grumble grumble**...making me delurk...*mumble grumble mumble*...name is "silent" for a reason..**grumble**.........
Wait, do we have another S. Louisiana member?
Yep. Baton Rouge area. Been a member here since close to the beginning, after Gone Gold died. Obviously from my post count I don't say much, but I get most of gaming news here and I enjoy reading the general goings on.
This is a Sig Free zone.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

You didn't technically *have* to post again. It's only the 0-post accounts getting the bot-boot. You were already over that.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Silent Kajun

Post by Silent Kajun »

silverjon wrote:
You didn't technically *have* to post again. It's only the 0-post accounts getting the bot-boot. You were already over that.
Yes I know, I was just joking with the grumbling, but apparently I am not very humorous. I like to put my 2 cents in every so (not very) often anyway.
This is a Sig Free zone.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Now that the seal is broken, they'll all become like Isgrimnur. :)
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

MHS wrote:Now that the seal is broken, they'll all become like Isgrimnur. :)
OMG. We'll have to start up an OO Do Not Post List.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Silent Kajun wrote:
silverjon wrote:
Yes I know, I was just joking with the grumbling, but apparently I am not very humorous. I like to put my 2 cents in every so (not very) often anyway.
Humor doesn't get invoked until your 50th post.
Silent Kajun

Post by Silent Kajun »

wonderpug wrote:
Silent Kajun wrote:
silverjon wrote:
Well no wonder, 'cause I thought I was freaking HI-larious.
This is a Sig Free zone.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Silent Kajun wrote:
wonderpug wrote:
Silent Kajun wrote:
silverjon wrote:
No, that would be for a Hawaiian. You are hi-LArious.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Kraken wrote:
Silent Kajun wrote:
wonderpug wrote:
Silent Kajun wrote:
silverjon wrote:
No, that would be for a Hawaiian. You are hi-LArious.
Now that's a funny joke.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

a lurker is typically a member of an online community who observes, but does not actively participate.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

nemesis wrote:a lurker is typically a member of an online community who observes, but does not actively participate.
Wow, that bot has a cool name.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
Darrell999

Post by Darrell999 »

Ok, I admit it and will freely confess--I am a longime lurker--I think I've been here ever since Gone Gold closed down. Totally enjoy the great conversations here, and yeah, I should probably start adding to them again. :oops: :)
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

bb2112 wrote:
nemesis wrote:a lurker is typically a member of an online community who observes, but does not actively participate.
Yes, a cool name, but he has just made a powerful enemy, a whatchamacallit...
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

JonathanStrange wrote:
bb2112 wrote:
Yes, a cool name, but he has just made a powerful enemy, a whatchamacallit...
Mmmmm... Those are yummy...
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

miltonite wrote:Oh! A clever ruse to lure out the lurkers...
It's working! Even dbt is on a roll!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White