Problems since the recovery? Post them here please

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

FishPants
Server WhOOre

Problems since the recovery? Post them here please

Post by FishPants »

Let me know the issues (and there will be issues, from performance, broken links, and bad juju) here. I'm working through the stuff as I come across it (I anticipate e-mail isn't working right at the moment for example). I'll update here as issues are also fixed.

So far I've got to look into:

1. External Mailing
2. OOWiki
3. Deadlock SQL errors
4. Teamspeak server
5. Ventrilo Server
6. Set up SQL backups twice weekly (full DB) to new hosting provider FTP Server
7. Set up SQL backups to also move to Spideroak (Now Amazon S3, Weekly)
8. Set up monthly HTML directory backups to FTP
9. Set up monthly HTML directory backups to SpiderOak (Now Amazon S3, Weekly)

Updates:

- OOWiki I think is fixed. At least it doesn't barf out errors all the time.
- External email worked out of the gate (how about that!)
- Teamspeak is online, new password posted in the first post of the gaming services area in PC gaming.
- More smilies added (not something that was broken, but requested)
- Backups - Currently backing up the entire server nightly (Full backup) to a local file + OVH Hosted FTP backup server. Retaining backups for 60 days on the FTP server, so we can roll back as necessary. No more incremental backup problems/bullshit.
- Backups now being placed in reduced redundancy storage at S3 on a weekly basis.
Last edited by FishPants on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.
No.
JetFred

Re: Problems since the recovery? Post them here please

Post by JetFred »

Testing from Tapatalk because you love it so much. You are the hero of Labor Day, fish man.
I have but one advocate.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

JetFred wrote:Testing from Tapatalk because you love it so much. You are the hero of Labor Day, fish man.
ARGH!! I forgot about Tapatalk and that upgrade.. That happened after the last good backup in July.. Son.. Of.. A..
No.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I came here to praise you and it seems like I'm being an obsessive pain, because I'm about to post an error. But realize I have nothing but patience and respect for you in this rebuild process. I got on Steam to send you a thank you game but saw you haven't been online for like 4 years. Offer still stands, though.

Anyway, I got this error trying to post in the Pay It Forward thread in the trade forum:

General Error

SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Deadlock found when trying to get lock; try restarting transaction [1213]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
I have but one advocate.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

JetFred wrote:I came here to praise you and it seems like I'm being an obsessive pain, because I'm about to post an error. But realize I have nothing but patience and respect for you in this rebuild process. I got on Steam to send you a thank you game but saw you haven't been online for like 4 years. Offer still stands, though.

Anyway, I got this error trying to post in the Pay It Forward thread in the trade forum:

General Error

SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Deadlock found when trying to get lock; try restarting transaction [1213]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Interesting error... I'm pruning the user database again and if I am doing too many transactions at once I get a 500 error -- wondering if the two are related (you are trying to post while I'm thrashing the hell out of it). Let me look into this a bit; I might have the wrong lock type in the config file.

That's the major drag, sure losing a few weeks of posts sucks -- but losing my SQL config file that was years of tuning... that blew. I'm starting from a vanilla config -- sucks!

I backed out a config entry that I think may have allowed for deadlocks.. Please let me know if you see this again (I just saw it myself)
No.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

To further tax your work, my son just registered. That registration succeeded against my expectations. He was able to post in that same thread, but when I tried to post there and here, I would get that error. Presumably if this is showing up now, I got it to post successfully eventually.
I have but one advocate.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

JetFred wrote:To further tax your work, my son just registered. That registration succeeded against my expectations. He was able to post in that same thread, but when I tried to post there and here, I would get that error. Presumably if this is showing up now, I got it to post successfully eventually.
Yep it seems when I'm beating up the database through pruning that it was throwing up those errors elsewhere.. That's odd for InnoDB.. will have to read up on what causes that.
No.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Fishy (cute nic name for a moment) smiles are necessary for sure!

I had gotten a few error messages as I was all over the forum like a dog seeing it's master for the first time in a very long time. I didn't write (copy) any of the messages nor can I remember what I was doing when it happened (dog gone nutzo). The error didn't cause me not to do something if I pressed the button again.

My point Fishy, is, like you had mentioned, it's going to take some time before OO is at a full recovery. My thought when the errors were coming up for me, it was because you were doing things on your end. Plus we are all running back here, all love blind and attention starved folk. Keep on doing what you are doing and know your efforts are appreciated. PLUS we (talking for the consensus without permission) do want you to take some time for yourself today. Please don't be in front of the computer all day. We will do that for you, ha!

(got an error message when I hit send, so people remember to save your posts first, just in case. Ended up submitted after the 5th try over the corse of about 5 minutes. Again, my guess is you were banging around and the "computer term I'm unfamiliar with" just couldn't keep up)
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) [2002]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Yeah been trying to figure out the deadlock issue when I have a large Innodb buffer size.. Learned the hard way that Centos (even 6.x) only uses MySQL v5.1.. That's a bit of a drag since there's some further performance enhancements in 5.5.4+ that I would like to use (to separate out the large innodb buffer into 1 gig chunks) that aren't currently available to me.

Anyways it only seems to be if I am running large operations on the user table etc that it results in deadlocks. I'm going to stop doing that for the time being, please report any further deadlocks in here please -- would like to know if it's happening outside of me doing that.
No.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Are unread post links jumping to the first unread post like they should?
I have but one advocate.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

JetFred wrote:Are unread post links jumping to the first unread post like they should?
They are for me, the only time that doesn't apply is with the global stickied subjects (Like the Welcome Back message that's stickied in all forums).
No.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

FishPants wrote:
JetFred wrote:Are unread post links jumping to the first unread post like they should?
They are for me, the only time that doesn't apply is with the global stickied subjects (Like the Welcome Back message that's stickied in all forums).
Ah, well it's a good chance that's the only one I was noticing it on. :doh: Carry on. Oh, and way to go above and beyond with the smilies. :whistle:
I have but one advocate.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I can't seem to find the series of threads I made about Monty Python references just before the server went down.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

wonderpug wrote:I can't seem to find the series of threads I made about Monty Python references just before the server went down.
The last DB backup I had was from July 21st, so if you made it after that unfortunately we didn't have access to that data.
No.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Tapatalk 4 keeps throwing an error that the topic doesn't exist whenever I try to read the welcome back please read topic.

That's the only problem I've seen yet...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

FishPants wrote:
wonderpug wrote:I can't seem to find the series of threads I made about Monty Python references just before the server went down.
The last DB backup I had was from July 21st, so if you made it after that unfortunately we didn't have access to that data.
Probably the wrong thread for the joke, but I was trying to insinuate that it was the mother of all Monty Python references that caused the disaster.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not for me. They are landing me all over whichever thread I'm reading, either sending me back half a page, or to the next page - anywhere but the next unread post.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

wonderpug wrote:
FishPants wrote:
Probably the wrong thread for the joke, but I was trying to insinuate that it was the mother of all Monty Python references that caused the disaster.
I see now. It's like if I had said that just before the server went down, I had asked for the third time whether anyone still keeps an eye on Derek Smart's career.
I have but one advocate.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Whenever I post, it will post it twice...

Watch...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

Whenever I post, it will post it twice...

Watch...
naednek

Post by naednek »

Ok... I think I found the issue.

In the past (pre loss of data) When I posted something, I always the back button to go back to the forum or post.... No problems

Now when I do the same thing, I hit the back button, and it reposts my message

Not sure what changed.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

naednek wrote:Ok... I think I found the issue.

In the past (pre loss of data) When I posted something, I always the back button to go back to the forum or post.... No problems

Not sure what changed.
I've been trying to replicate this problem without any luck.. Can you please clear your browser cache etc and log out of OO then back in please? Wondering if caching from the old site is conflicting with the new site (post orders and IDs, and so on).
No.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

FishPants wrote:

Not sure what changed.
I've been trying to replicate this problem without any luck.. Can you please clear your browser cache etc and log out of OO then back in please? Wondering if caching from the old site is conflicting with the new site (post orders and IDs, and so on).
I was having this problem before the outage, but I have just tried to modify my posting behavior. And I would get the behavior in Safari and Chrome. I'll test it right now after I post this.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

FishPants wrote:

Not sure what changed.
I was having this problem before the outage, but I have just tried to modify my posting behavior. And I would get the behavior in Safari and Chrome. I'll test it right now after I post this.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yep. Make my post, let it complete, and then go back a few pages and bingo! Dup post. But like I said, it was working like that before the server went tits up.
naednek

Post by naednek »

hentzau wrote:Yep. Make my post, let it complete, and then go back a few pages and bingo! Dup post. But like I said, it was working like that before the server went tits up.

Weird. I use chrome and it never did to me until yesterday. I'll try what fishpants said the next time I reboot my PC.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I have no OO problems--I just wanted to throw out a big thank you for the recovery effort!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Some threads are unreadable in Tapatalk. One example is the 'Welcome back please read' thread. Tapatalk shows it in the thread list but errors out with thread does not exist when it's tapped.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

wonderpug wrote:
FishPants wrote:
I made a "Manning would have been cooler if he wanted to be called Loretta" crack on FB when it broke the news but I swear to Pancake OO was already crashed.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Zaxxon wrote:Some threads are unreadable in Tapatalk. One example is the 'Welcome back please read' thread. Tapatalk shows it in the thread list but errors out with thread does not exist when it's tapped.
I'm checking on my iPad, and no issues with Tapatalk at all yet on my Android it says the topic does not exist. Odd.
No.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Zaxxon wrote:Some threads are unreadable in Tapatalk. One example is the 'Welcome back please read' thread. Tapatalk shows it in the thread list but errors out with thread does not exist when it's tapped.
Just updated the server side Tapatalk plugin; that should be working now yes?
No.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

FishPants wrote:
Just updated the server side Tapatalk plugin; that should be working now yes?
Confirmed. Thanks!
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Blackhawk wrote:
Not for me. They are landing me all over whichever thread I'm reading, either sending me back half a page, or to the next page - anywhere but the next unread post.
What seems to be happening is it sends you to the first post that would have been unread by you at the time of the restored backup. Or at least that's what it looks like to me. Just like how there are threads marked unread by me that were last posted to in July. I would have marked those as read, but sometime after the backup.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

silverjon wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
What seems to be happening is it sends you to the first post that would have been unread by you at the time of the restored backup. Or at least that's what it looks like to me. Just like how there are threads marked unread by me that were last posted to in July. I would have marked those as read, but sometime after the backup.
I don't think that's it. Let's say there is a thread with three pages, and I've read half of page 3, then leave. When I come back and see that it is now four pages and hit 'next unread', it takes me to page four, not the middle of 3. This happens even on threads created since the reboot.

On a page that is 1/4 read but is up the 3/4 done, when I click 'next unread', I am sent about 1/2 of the way into the page.

I've cleared my cache and manually deleted my OO cookies, but it keeps happening.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Then in my highly technical opinion, yours is being weird.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

silverjon wrote:Then in my highly technical opinion, yours is being weird.
I have to agree here, I'm not seeing this behaviour on my end.

Anyone else with the same problem?
No.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

'First unread' is working fine here, in Chrome, IE and Tapatalk.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

past few days I hang on the screen "Your Message has been posted successfully" it just churns forever until I hit see my message or return to last forum topic or whatever it says.

I also notice that the OO is constantly trying to load something. My tab in Firefox shows the little circle rotating on my OO tab as if it never stops loading.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lassr wrote:past few days I hang on the screen "Your Message has been posted successfully" it just churns forever until I hit see my message or return to last forum topic or whatever it says.

I also notice that the OO is constantly trying to load something. My tab in Firefox shows the little circle rotating on my OO tab as if it never stops loading.

I had the same problem beginning yesterday. Clearing my history fixed it.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Lassr wrote:past few days I hang on the screen "Your Message has been posted successfully" it just churns forever until I hit see my message or return to last forum topic or whatever it says.

Why the heck am I not experiencing this? Between the weird double posting behaviour and few people talking about something stuck loading -- not sure what the deal is. If anyone has a diagnostic firefox plugin and can paste some of the content while the issue is happening that would *really* help.
No.