Welcome Back - Please read

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Carpet_pissr

Re: Welcome Back - Please read

Post by Carpet_pissr »

wonderpug wrote:I don't suppose there's a way to give OO commission for scheduled recurring Amazon purchases, is there? Just diaper related stuff alone is $90/month for me.
If you are referring to the Subscribe and Save program, you can probably cancel your current sub, use the link, then sub again. One great thing about that program is it's so easy to quite, adjust, add, etc. and kicks in almost instantly.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

PLW wrote:That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons bring us some web forums whereupon we can gather.
What's with the period?

Thanks FP! :horse:
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
naednek

Post by naednek »

KKBlue wrote:
JetFred wrote:It would have been perfect if those last six posts had been in the problems thread.
Ha!
Yeah, thinking when someone posts, they get an error message, then go back and post again... fail, and try to post again. All the while, the submit button is really posting. It will take a few more days to smooth things out.

I'm willing to bet it's because we are hitting the back button after posting. It's whats happening to me. Didn't do that prior to the outage.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

The correct way to use this forum is to shift+click all the threads you are interested in to queue them up in tabs. You then mark the forum as read and close that window, and proceed to read tab by tab. Other methods of browsing the forum will be held as noncompliance.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Expect the punishment for noncompliance to be severe.

:teasing-slap:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

wonderpug wrote:The correct way to use this forum is to shift+click all the threads you are interested in to queue them up in tabs. You then mark the forum as read and close that window, and proceed to read tab by tab. Other methods of browsing the forum will be held as noncompliance.
Shift-click? Do you people not have a middle mouse button?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Blackhawk wrote:
wonderpug wrote:The correct way to use this forum is to shift+click all the threads you are interested in to queue them up in tabs. You then mark the forum as read and close that window, and proceed to read tab by tab. Other methods of browsing the forum will be held as noncompliance.
Shift-click? Do you people not have a middle mouse button?
You know, the only 3-button mouse I've ever liked was circa

and it was fantastic for mouse-driven Sierra games for giving me quick access to the walk command. But ever since combo scroll wheel & middle buttons have become the norm? Can't stand the way they work. I treat them as unclickable scroll wheels.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think I had that mouse. I was also a little put off by a scroll wheel click button but I got over it quickly and never looked back. They do seem to wear out faster though. Probably just in my head.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Made several Amazon purchases recently. Wish it would show which affiliate would get credit when you submit your order, but we just have to hope purchases are getting credited to OO.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Bakhtosh wrote:Made several Amazon purchases recently. Wish it would show which affiliate would get credit when you submit your order, but we just have to hope purchases are getting credited to OO.
Same here, but I am sure either Fishpants or Rip can see it if you are dying to know if it made it through (as you said, it would be nice from the purchaser side to be able to see it as well, like a lot of those cashback sites do).
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Purchased an edger the other day through the link. Hopefully. :D

As for the mouse discussion, I rarely ever use the wheel as a button. However, I do require that my mice all have a 4th and 5th button. I do like having those available in games (and it pisses me off when the game isn't coded to recognize them).

Oh... and I'm definitely non-compliant. I never have more than one OO window/tab open. I read a link and then jump back to the list to select the next one. I am trying to avoid using the back button for this though.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I always ctrl-click and now I know. Middle mouse button. Something new every day. Middle button was only every used for games up until today.
I never have more than one OO window/tab open.
:confusion-confused:
It's a wonder more people don't pull a me and post a new topic in the wrong forum or reply to the wrong thread.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What's odd is I'ma 1-thread at a tim reader at OO, but do Ctrl-click at GT.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:What's odd is I'ma 1-thread at a tim reader at OO, but do Ctrl-click at GT.
I Ctrl Click everywhere. I think it's because some websites don't let you go back at all.

I curse websites who don't pop up the hyper linked link when I ctrl Click

I also curse websites who pop shit up at me when I use the mouse pointer and left mouse button as a highlight guide when I read.

Fuckers.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The correct way to use this forum is to shift+click all the threads you are interested in to queue them up in tabs. You then mark the forum as read and close that window, and proceed to read tab by tab. Other methods of browsing the forum will be held as noncompliance
Thats what I do. I go into all the forums I use and grab a lot of tabs of threads but I save EBG for last. Once all the tab thread are read I then go do the same with EBG. It's a big area with a lot of posts so it's like it's own forum unto itself.
Rip

Post by Rip »

LordMortis wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:What's odd is I'ma 1-thread at a tim reader at OO, but do Ctrl-click at GT.
I Ctrl Click everywhere. I think it's because some websites don't let you go back at all.

I curse websites who don't pop up the hyper linked link when I ctrl Click

I also curse websites who pop shit up at me when I use the mouse pointer and left mouse button as a highlight guide when I read.

Fuckers.
Yea, I absolutely hate the pop up shit information links and the software that makes all text information do it are particularly evil in my world view.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

General Update

Things are starting to normalize a fair bit, and performance on the new system is pretty snappy (from my perspective). Pretty much the entire database for this board (about 6.8 gigs worth) is in RAM (new box has 32 gigs of ram, not bad at all).

I've got backups running nightly, and I lucked out with an Amazon promo that gave me $100 worth of AWS credit that doesn't expire until the end of august 2014. As a result I'm backing up our environment in it's entirety daily to an S3 bucket -- and keeping the last 45 days worth of backups online and ready to be recovered.

In addition I've got the usual local backups and hosting provider FTP backups that also happen daily.

I'm confident I won't get caught with my pants down again with a hosting provider, and now that the backups are happening through virtualmin -- recovery (should we ever need to do so) becomes a ridiculously easy process.

I'm still in discussions with Burst over getting access to our previous data, I think I'll take the gamble to see if I can't get our DB and merge in the missing posts for grins on a rainy day (not something I will do overnight, but I'm willing to poke at it a bit to see if it's doable).
No.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:auto-layrubber: :romance-heartstiny:
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

FishPants wrote:I think I'll take the gamble to see if I can't get our DB and merge in the missing posts for grins on a rainy day (not something I will do overnight, but I'm willing to poke at it a bit to see if it's doable).
I know nothing about this, so it makes me wonder what happens to posts that were edited during the lost window. For example, my "games finished" post lost the last edit, and I've edited it since we've been back up.
I have but one advocate.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

JetFred wrote:
FishPants wrote:I think I'll take the gamble to see if I can't get our DB and merge in the missing posts for grins on a rainy day (not something I will do overnight, but I'm willing to poke at it a bit to see if it's doable).
I know nothing about this, so it makes me wonder what happens to posts that were edited during the lost window. For example, my "games finished" post lost the last edit, and I've edited it since we've been back up.
You've got a good point there. Hrmm.. Will think about that a bit more.
No.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

LordMortis wrote:Fuckers.
:wub: Sorry, I just seem to have a thing about swearing when it's appropriate or funny to make a point.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whatever happened to the place that was the old server? Did they ever actually start back up? I lost track of this and it just popped into my head.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Yeah they are still out there, not sure why anyone would trust them though.
No.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Flagfox tells me that OO is a Canadian site. I don't know why that amuses me as much as it does.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

It's hosted in Montreal now, can't trust those 'muricans.
No.
Rip

Post by Rip »

FishPants wrote:It's hosted in Montreal now, can't trust those 'muricans.
Just wait wait till the referendum where they leave Canada. :ninja:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

FishPants wrote:It's hosted in Montreal now, can't trust those 'muricans.
Tempted to go to

"A 'merkin" show this week... Which is probably something that should have been hosted in Montreal.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I would have no idea what a mirkin was if not for Hector Badge of Carnage.
I have but one advocate.