Yes! Give up the last two days of posts for pre-outage
20%
No! Lets just move on as is
80%

Total votes: 97

Remus West

Re: Son of a.. Now what? Chime in on the poll please

Post by Remus West »

If you can merge the two sets then go for it. If not then I have no opinion on which path you take. Heck, if you can merge the two sets and chose not to due to time commitment I wouldn't have any issues with it really.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
DD*

Post by DD* »

Since this restore is from before my hockey accident, I no longer have a broken leg (such is the power of OO!). Therefore, leave sleeping cephalopods lie...

Also, fuck'em for wanting $60 to restore something they fucked up! :naughty: :roll: :grund: :tjg: :evil:
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I voted no. We are mostly all here we know that month happened and the important posts were recreated. I think that $60 plus the time it will take to merge the data is too steep. Lets just keep on going.

Maybe we should all hunker down and post a lot more than normal for the next month to make up for all the missing posts.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

If $60 is the barrier, I got it. I can stay in some night and post instead of going out and what I don't spend at the bar will cover it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

How am I ever going to choose a new car next time without the history of the discussion this time!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

LawBeefaroni wrote:If $60 is the barrier, I got it. I can stay in some night and post instead of going out and what I don't spend at the bar will cover it.
Your perception of how valuable all of those lost posts are is starting to make me wonder. Were there hidden messages in your lost posts pointing to hidden treasure? Wicked insider stock tips? A master plan for some great caper or heist?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Archinerd wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:If $60 is the barrier, I got it. I can stay in some night and post instead of going out and what I don't spend at the bar will cover it.
Your perception of how valuable all of those lost posts are is starting to make me wonder. Were there hidden messages in your lost posts pointing to hidden treasure? Wicked insider stock tips? A master plan for some great caper or heist?
I am thinking maybe he got a few PMs with attached photos fromn Carlos Danger during that period.

:romance-lovegoddess:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A month plus of OO history is worth $60. That was never my issue. My issue is the fact that we have to pay it to get our own data back.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Archinerd wrote:
If/when we merge, let's...um...accidentally lose this thread though, K?

:ninja:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

</lurk>

I don't have an actual horse in this race, but my feeling (and vote) is "no". You all have done plenty of work already, and you've got a website that's still here to show for it. Thanks!

There is value in recovering a mysql dump, but I also know how I'd feel about spending $60 in the situation when I had my own backups, even if not as up to the moment.

Merging probably isn't absurd with phpbb, and even failing that, the schema is straight forward enough to extract post text from; I've done that sort of thing with it before.

<lurk>
Rip

Post by Rip »

Perhaps we should roll like this till say thanksgiving, then go down till Xmas and then come back up with the old data and toss out everything from now till Thanksgiving. That sounds like fun and more in keeping with the mysterious ways of the overlords.

:sad-roulette:
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Rip wrote:Perhaps we should roll like this till say thanksgiving, then go down till Xmas and then come back up with the old data and toss out everything from now till Thanksgiving. That sounds like fun and more in keeping with the mysterious ways of the overlords.

:character-jaws:
No.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

FishPants wrote:
Rip wrote:Perhaps we should roll like this till say thanksgiving, then go down till Xmas and then come back up with the old data and toss out everything from now till Thanksgiving. That sounds like fun and more in keeping with the mysterious ways of the overlords.

:character-jaws:
I think we're due for a good cleansing. We can call this a beta release, wipe the whole thing, and we start from scratch and become OO.09