20%
No! Lets just move on as is
80%

Total votes: 97

FishPants
Server WhOOre

Son of a.. Now what? Chime in on the poll please

Post by FishPants »

So the hosting wholesaler found our old server.. What say you OO, is it worth the 60 some odd bucks to revert to pre-outage or just move on?

No guarantee they have it but its likely. If we revert we lose the last two days (cant merge the data unfortunately).

Work wise it's not much to revert but I defer to the OO majority to determine value.
Last edited by FishPants on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No.
Smoove_B

Re: Son of a.. Now what? Chime in on the poll please

Post by Smoove_B »

If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seeing as they want to steal $60 for the joy of fixing their own crap then no. Im not even sure what we are missing and i've liked the last 2 days worth of post. I say let the ether have that month and move on. But thank you for considering our thoughts.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

It's not just the posts, it's the SQL config, the user purge, Tapatalk update, etc. That's a lot of the admins' time that *wouldn't* be wasted. I'd give up the last two days for that.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Daehawk wrote:Seeing as they want to steal $60 for the joy of fixing their own crap then no. Im not even sure what we are missing and i've liked the last 2 days worth of post. I say let the ether have that month and move on. But thank you for considering our thoughts.
It's the wholesaler not the hosting provider, but I'm inclined to agree with you. I'll let this sit a day though and let the majority speak, then I will move these global announcements off to meta once a decision is made.
No.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Moat_Man wrote:It's not just the posts, it's the SQL config, the user purge, Tapatalk update, etc. That's a lot of the admins' time that *wouldn't* be wasted. I'd give up the last two days for that.
SQL config would be nice but I've got it tuned relatively well so far.

Tapatalk update is done.
User purge is done.

Really it's just the missing posts.
No.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

FishPants wrote:
Moat_Man wrote:It's not just the posts, it's the SQL config, the user purge, Tapatalk update, etc. That's a lot of the admins' time that *wouldn't* be wasted. I'd give up the last two days for that.
SQL config would be nice but I've got it tuned relatively well so far.

Tapatalk update is done.
User purge is done.

Really it's just the missing posts.
That's a relief but I still vote to get back three weeks of posts vs. the last two days which are mostly makeup posts anyways.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I voted no - simply I prefer to leave OOtage in the past (and the 60 bucks charge is too much i think). However, I wont get upset if FP and crew override my NO and back up the last month.. I might change my vote actually. Honestly, I really dont care, I am happy to have OO back.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Mentally, I have already let those posts go....
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

No...
the 4 votes are most likely Isgrimnur and his 3 posting bots. :)
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

A $60 tithe because of someone else's problem is tainto.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

I don't know how to vote.
:sad-bored:
Thinking... thinking...

I'm going to go with no. Main reasons are, not to spend any more money along with not to take up any more of your time FP. Even though you say "work wise, it's not much to revert" never the less, it's time and energy donated again on your part. I'm okay with how things are. Just lost a finger is all, still know how to count to 10.

I am familiar with the, "It will only take 5 minutes." phrase you computer guys kindly say. I've never know anything to take 5 minutes, it just doesn't happen that way. You have put in a lot of time to get the board to this point. Do need to go and make more work in my opinion.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I'd prefer it if the posts were able to be restored pre-outage, but I also agree the $60 amercement to do so is total bullshit.

Far be it from me to suggest anything untoward, but were I feeling less-than-scrupulous, I might consider paying the $60 via credit card, restore the data, and then have the credit card company do a chargeback. Following their outage, VD is likely to be up to their eyeballs in chargebacks anyway. :twisted:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have an aversion to spending money for what we should rightfully have already.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I lean No also, forget the past, move on and save $60.

Plus we can call this period The Great Gap or something another for no posts between July 20 & Sept 2. OOutage was used for the last one.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I say go back and restore but that's only because I hate losing data. There were a few significant posts during that time but I can live with it either way.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

LawBeefaroni wrote:I say go back and restore but that's only because I hate losing data. There were a few significant posts during that time but I can live with it either way.

I was trying to remember if there were in "Historical" type threads going on at that time but I'm old and cannot remember.
I was also thinking it would be nice to have some of the review posts back for games that were released during that time like XCOM Declassified. So I can go both ways...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

No. Seriously if they had our server they should have told us that when we asked instead of telling us they didn't have it. If they had told us this in the first couple of days after we went down, I'd be all for it. Now too little too late.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I landed on the side of no as well, especially if it's going to cost to do it. You've done yeoman work on this, Fishpants. I think we'll all survive.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

See if you can talk down the price to free*, if not then my vote will remain as "no".

*You don't actually have to try this, I think it's a waste of time too.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Vorret wrote:No...
the 4 votes are most likely Isgrimnur and his 3 posting bots. :)
Yeah, not so much. :P
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Whatever works best for you as an admin. Getting us through this intact in ANY shape is a success. anyway, someone's going to sue them into oblivion over every last $60.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

Zarthud this isn't volume drive, the company we were originally getting our server from. This is burst the data center they got space from that was putting up the abandoned servers, but at a cost. We asked if they had ours after they offered to get people online if they had their machine, they told us volume drive had it, so they couldn't help.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

:doh:

So it's extortion and slimy, but there's a silver lining if you can stomach thinking of it as a contribution to help them sue Volume Drive into oblivion. :coffee:

Or do we want them both to suffer the pain of a billion legal sized paper cuts?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
nasai

Post by nasai »

As I say in my industry all the time. Just walk away. Fighting only makes it worse and you just get more pissed. This is a great site. We don't need the 3 weeks for continuity's sake. It's allllllllllllllllllllllll good.
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
Tao

Post by Tao »

If it's just missing posts then meh! Move on......

If life seems jolly rotten
There’s something you’ve forgotten
And that’s to laugh and smile and dance and sing
When you’re feeling in the dumps
Don’t be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle – that’s the thing

:whistle:
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Rip

Post by Rip »

Wait, so it is BurstNET that found the server? If so then I change my vote to yes, although I really don't care that much. Just not willing to give Volumedrive anything other than a saliva sandwich to the face. :violence-smack:
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Whatever is easier for, and preferred by you guys, the admins, is what I support. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How come BurstNet couldn't find it during that free period?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Daehawk wrote:How come BurstNet couldn't find it during that free period?
I'm guessing because it wasn't labelled or was mislabelled.

Looking like the nays have it right now. Will close the poll down this evening at one point.
No.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The ratio of "Was I Brilliant?" to "Did I Embarrass Myself?" says we should let the posts go.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Markstrink

Post by Markstrink »

I voted "no".

After all the hassle and all the crap and we already moved. AND they want 60 bux from you?
Just my opinion.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I voted no, but really whatever is easiest for the admin aspect of it should win out.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Kelric wrote:I voted no, but really whatever is easiest for the admin aspect of it should win out.
Yep.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

I found an interesting post on how to merge two forum databases together.. So in effect, I may actually be able to get the old data and insert it back in -- preserving what was lost, and what we've gained in the last few days.

Hrmm. I'm going to chew on that a bit.
No.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

That would be very cool, if you can swing it. I'd be willing to chip in for the data if you go that route.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

FishPants wrote:I found an interesting post on how to merge two forum databases together.. So in effect, I may actually be able to get the old data and insert it back in -- preserving what was lost, and what we've gained in the last few days.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you to spend more time and effort here but...this would be really really good.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

I've asked them to verify that there are drives in the server and that it powers up to a CentOS login screen before I fork any cash over.. A lot of people had their refugee servers powered up without issue but a few had blank ones brought up (or told by Burst that there weren't hard drives in it after they paid). Hope to hear back soon.
No.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Let them go and move on. It doesn't matter. It's in the past.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

FishPants wrote:I found an interesting post on how to merge two forum databases together.. So in effect, I may actually be able to get the old data and insert it back in -- preserving what was lost, and what we've gained in the last few days.

You have a lot of people on this forum that know their way around a database if it comes to that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter