"View New Posts" not working properly?

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Ralph-Wiggum

"View New Posts" not working properly?

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I've noticed this just the last couple of days, but it seems like the "View new posts" button isn't working as it should. For example, this morning I clicked on it after not being on OO since last night and the resulting search only showed me two topics. But if I click on Everything But Gaming, it looks like there are at least 15 topics with new posts since my last visit (not to mention how many other new posts there have likely been in the other sections). If it makes a difference, I'm using Firefox 25.0.1 (the latest?). Thanks.
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Re: "View New Posts" not working properly?

Post by wonderpug »

In this forum, the "view unread posts" button actually means "view unread posts since last visit." Some forum software also has a "view all unread since last visit" button, which is the behavior you're suspecting.

I'm guessing you visited some other subforum, the forum software thought "oh, I guess Ralph viewed everything he was interested in in EbG," and the 2 new topics were the only ones that got new content while you slept.

Because of the way that button works, I only visit OO if I know I can open up everything new I'm interested in in every subforum all at once. For forums that have a true "all unread since last visit" button, I'm happier to just hop in and out at my leisure because I know I'll be able to still keep track of read/unread.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I've noticed this just the last couple of days, but it seems like the "View new posts" button isn't working as it should. For example, this morning I clicked on it after not being on OO since last night and the resulting search only showed me two topics. But if I click on Everything But Gaming, it looks like there are at least 15 topics with new posts since my last visit (not to mention how many other new posts there have likely been in the other sections). If it makes a difference, I'm using Firefox 25.0.1 (the latest?). Thanks.
I noticed it too (weird how such a tiny detail/function can rock your little internet world, huh? :D), but seems to be working as usual again.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Confirmed working properly for me.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm still having problems with it, although it only seems to really be an issue the first time I check OO in the day (for instance, it returned only one topic just now). As a workaround, I've been using the "view unread posts" as wonderpug suggested and that seems to be accomplishing more or less the same thing.
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

I'm guessing something is eating your cookies overnight.

Santa maybe?

:csmile: