links evaporate when not in URL tags

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

The Meal

links evaporate when not in URL tags

Post by The Meal »

Example: here. Also happened to me (prosilver).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: links evaporate when not in URL tags

Post by LawBeefaroni »

No doubt something to do with the "automatically parse URLs" feature being broken because when I turn it off I get:

Test: http://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=87219&p=2077609#p2077609
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
naednek

Post by naednek »

Happen to me as well. I was trying be snarky after Meal posted a link regarding the 2013 Draft. He linked it to the Detroit Lions homepage and then the person who actually wanted to see the article and not some story about the only lions player to get an A for the Lions draft. The link on the Lions page pointed to the ESPN Insider page, and after I tried linking the actual article (you know, being helpful and all) I thought OO was eating it up because you had to have a subscription to view that.

Now I'm seeing others are having problems, and disappointed I missed out on poking fun. Boooo.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Yeah, I noticed that too. And if you preview your post, they'll also disappear from the input box.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

and the problem apparently still exists as I ran into it yesterday. Same thing with the preview box as well.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, been running into it today. Was trying to add Youtube links and wondered what the heck was going on. Using Black Pearl.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Until it gets resolved, as LM pointed out in the above-linked example, the problem can be avoided by embedding links in URL tags instead of simply copying and pasting URLs or manually typing them without using URL tags.

For example, instead of:

Code: Select all

http://octopusoverlords.com/
Use something like this:

[url=http://octopusoverlords.com/]OctopusOverlords.com[/url]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:Until it gets resolved, as LM pointed out in the above-linked example, the problem can be avoided by embedding links in URL tags instead of simply copying and pasting URLs or manually typing them without using URL tags.

For example, instead of:

Use something like this:

[url=http://octopusoverlords.com/]OctopusOverlords.com[/url]
That's the best fix.

The easiest/quickest fix is to just check the "Do not automatically parse URLs" box above the submit button. Then you'll get the link text (but no hyperlink so people will have to cut and paste).

It will look like this:
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:Until it gets resolved
This strikes me as something to stop spam bots from dropping links into a thread. What if it's working as intended?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:Until it gets resolved
This strikes me as something to stop spam bots from dropping links into a thread. What if it's working as intended?
It's not as intended. Besides, I'd imagine that most bots are sophisticated enough to drop URL tags.

Recent updates have borked a lot of features and FP is working dilligently to fix them all.

MYT
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

I've got a feeling it's the code to pop links into a new tab causing it.. If I can't figure out what's wrong with the supplied code, I need to understand which is more important to the users - new tab code or pasteable URL links.
No.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

FishPants wrote:I've got a feeling it's the code to pop links into a new tab causing it.. If I can't figure out what's wrong with the supplied code, I need to understand which is more important to the users - new tab code or pasteable URL links.
Of the two, I'd certainly prefer the new tab code over pasteable links. I usually embed most links I post within URL tags anyway.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
FishPants wrote:I've got a feeling it's the code to pop links into a new tab causing it.. If I can't figure out what's wrong with the supplied code, I need to understand which is more important to the users - new tab code or pasteable URL links.
Of the two, I'd certainly prefer the new tab code over pasteable links. I usually embed most links I post within URL tags anyway.
Agreed.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
naednek

Post by naednek »

tab.

With that said, you did fix the tab issue and it the links were working. Then later it broke.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Being able to paste the URL link is slightly preferable to links opening in new tabs. I can always right click a link and have it open however I like.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The Meal wrote:
Being able to paste the URL link is slightly preferable to links opening in new tabs. I can always right click a link and have it open however I like.
I don't fully understand what we lose with new tabs. I control click to open links in new tabs and it's never been a problem. I only recently (with this thread?) discovered you could scrolly click to open in new tab and i am so trained to control click that I still never scrolly click.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm oblivious to either. I don't remember the last time I pasted a link without URL tags - it takes seconds, is cleaner and clearer. I have been middle-mouse clicking links I wanted in a new tab for so many years that it is second nature.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holy ballcocks, I never knew about the middle-mouse-click to open a new tab. Nice!

MYT
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Holy ballcocks, I never knew about the middle-mouse-click to open a new tab. Nice!
Same! Though I do, unbeknownst to myself (subconsciously), use CTRL-click to open things in new tabs.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The Meal wrote:

Agreed. Can always click the middle mouse button, so wouldn't be too sore about losing that if we have to. Pasteable links, however, I feel is inherent to the nature of boards like these. Feels too much like basic functionality. Feels naked without them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

You guys do know that you can click the URL button above when creating a message, paste your link between the URL tags and it shows up?

Like this:

http://www.google.ca
No.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I guess it's time for me to speak up as a non-middle, non-ctrl clicker. I would HATE to lose support for just auto-opening in new tabs. Matter of fact, I think I was one of the ones that started the original complaint thread about it missing. And, conversely, I never just naked paste a URL into a post, I always use the URL function.

"then they came for the non-opening tabs...and there was no one left to speak for me."
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Given the crazy number of links disappearing across multiple threads, can we at least consider an announcement thread with a brief tutorial on the URL tags?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Maybe we could get someone *cough* Isgrimnur to leave links in this thread to all the places where folks have tried to leave links only to unexpectedly find out that the site doesn't work like it always had in the past? That may be a compelling argument for folks who may not realize that it's happening a few times a week across the forum...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Open links in the same tab unless I direct otherwise, as God intended! (;))
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lurker comes out of hiding, link evaporates.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

I don't think I'm going to chase this down, if you can just put the URL between URL tags and it works (there's even a button for it) I don't believe it's worth stripping out the code to open links in a new tab. I can't figure out why one lead to the other at this point, and since there's a workaround I don't think it warrants a few hours of digging to resolve it.

If anyone else wants to chase it down let me know, I can provide copies of the coding used in the templates.
No.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Throw it up at an easily viewable location, and I'm sure some of us will take a look.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

the problem is the URL is stripped silently so the posters have no idea their post is messed up

with the link opening in a new window, it's immediately obvious it isn't working and the workaround is to move your finger a half inch right when clicking

Of course I am not the guy that has to fix it and I generally don't post naked URLs anway.
Last edited by coopasonic on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Isgrimnur wrote:Throw it up at an easily viewable location, and I'm sure some of us will take a look.
Here you go https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/links- ... w-windows/ this was the change made to make the links pop open in a new window (and I believe in turn broke auto links).
No.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

In the interest of helping, I will re-post the solution:
Zaxxon wrote:Open links in the same tab unless I direct otherwise, as God intended! (;))

:csmile:
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zaxxon wrote:In the interest of helping, I will re-post the solution:
Zaxxon wrote:Open links in the same tab unless I direct otherwise, as God intended! (;))

:csmile:
No! I'm old and I can't learn new habits!!!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'd estimate things like this are happening about two-dozen times a week. And I'm not really noticing much of a slow-down. The OO forum does not work like any other forum on the planet, and it's very confusing for web-savvy users.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I guess I will have to go into the unsavvy group. I was never aware that you could put links(ones that work anyway) in any other forum. I guess I have always just assumed those tags/buttons for links were there for a reason.

edit...as a test I wonder if it works fine if you don't summon the hypertext protocol in the link.

nope....How about without invoking the world wide web.

octopusoverlords.com
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

FishPants wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Throw it up at an easily viewable location, and I'm sure some of us will take a look.
Here you go https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/links- ... w-windows/ this was the change made to make the links pop open in a new window (and I believe in turn broke auto links).
I haven't had the time and asked for help here, if anyone can see what would break it with the change linked above I'm all for trying to fix it -- but I can't comb through the code until maybe Saturday when my wife goes to pick up the kids from the inlaws (weather reports indicate I will be sitting around in my underwear as a bachelor).
No.
stessier

Post by stessier »

FishPants wrote:
FishPants wrote:
I haven't had the time and asked for help here, if anyone can see what would break it with the change linked above I'm all for trying to fix it -- but I can't comb through the code until maybe Saturday when my wife goes to pick up the kids from the inlaws (weather reports indicate I will be sitting around in my underwear as a bachelor).
Wow - Canadian news outlets are so much more thorough and local than in the states!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Test
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's nice. That last message actually said:

Test

[Testytest@gmail.com]

...but without the brackets
So, it applies to email addresses, too, and it also happens in PMs.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

[URL=Testytest@gmail.com]Email

Testytest@gmail.com
...and there apparently isn't an easy way to actually make an email address visible, either.