Donations - Bitcoin?

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

pengo

Donations - Bitcoin?

Post by pengo »

G'day

In addition to amazon and paypal, why not accept bitcoin or litecoin for donations? You can easily covert the btc/ltc to usd to pay for costs.

Also if you can introduce a feature like reddedit, you could also let people tip on worthwhile threads at a click of a button..

So similiar to +1 you could tip xyx btc/ltc if you find a thread helpful. So the person getting tip gets 90% and the forum 10% of the tip?

As hackers like to fleece wallets, as I'm guessing the forum will have to store wallets for people to tip from you'd have to sort out security. Make wallets keep a max of 0.01 btc? ($5~) So at least the site's wallet don't have a lot of money to go after. Tho with say 100 users with a max of $5 thats a $500 treasure to go after. Most sites get compromised as they keep the wallet on the same server, so maybe keep the wallet on a different server (the only hosts the wallet). So even if the main site gets compromised the wallet server is fine.

Who knows implement two factor authentication (google auth) for all withdrawals? So even if the site gets compromised, there is no way for hacker to get your coins?
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Re: Donations - Bitcoin?

Post by FishPants »

I could look at it if there was demand. Bit coin is a murky world and I don't see it really going mainstream (yeah I know overstock takes it but that CEO is a bit crazy at the best of times). If the hive has some interest I may be convinced. Anyone else?
No.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Interesting, but I don't like the idea of "pay to post." Or even "tip to post."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Interesting, but I don't like the idea of "pay to post." Or even "tip to post."
I'm not opposed to the idea, but I can't fathom anyone doing it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Nice suggestion pengo but feel it would be one more thing for Fishpants to do.

I'm simply making a donation once a year through PayPal as if I was paying dues. All Amazon purchases go through the OO link. Simple and straight forward utilizing what is already in place.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
pengo

Post by pengo »

No, not pay or tip to post. Free to post etc, you choose if you want to tip.

Just ass its free to +1 its free to tip, at least there is a monetary gain involved so there is some incentive.

Should just advertise the OO wallet address for donations at the very least?