Possible to add a dice roller?

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

IceBear

Possible to add a dice roller?

Post by IceBear »

Just curious if it was possible to add a dice roller to the forum software like on rpggeek? I suspect that it's not that easy for the number of people that would want to play play by post rpgs here, but figure there's no harm in asking
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Re: Possible to add a dice roller?

Post by FishPants »

Is that forum running phpbb3?
No.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I'm not sure... I thought I saw someone on Google+ stated that dice rollers were extensions in phpbb3 but I don't know much about forum software. I had just assumed it was a plug-in or something that you just downloaded and installed
stessier

Post by stessier »

Is there a benefit over just using random.org?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote:Is there a benefit over just using random.org?
I'm guessing that the benefit is in not having to worry about players quietly fudging when they roll badly.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Interesting idea for an app. A dice roller that lets a group of people see the roll.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, I was reading someone's Numenera campaign over there and it would show the characters' rolls and names right in the post along with a page that just showed the rolls (I guess so the GM can verify what the player posted in the thread is actually what was rolled and not edited).

Here's the example I was reading:

http://rpggeek.com/thread/1190049/fear-ocean-ic
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Blackhawk wrote:
stessier wrote:Is there a benefit over just using random.org?
I'm guessing that the benefit is in not having to worry about players quietly fudging when they roll badly.
Yeah, I have used random.org in the past and I am fine with it. I was just curious if it was something that could be implemented here, easily and without impact. If no, then random.org it is. If yes, then we all have a new toy for forum games :-)
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

A quick google didn't turn up anything for PHPBB3 that wasn't obsolete, but admittedly I didn't look long. If you find a mod for PHPBB3 that's still supported send me a link and I will take a look. If it's not too much modding I can take a stab at it.
No.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, all I can find is the obsolete one from 2009. I found several sites that use dicerollers, rpol.net and but if their dice rollers are just a plugin they aren't telling. So, I guess it's not just some common forum code but rather something they developed themselves and keeping under wraps. Oh well.

Edit: The closest thing I've seen is this widget from wordpress.com but suspect it's only meant for there:

http://wordpress.org/plugins/dice-widget/
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Actually, I saw someone post that they use a website called invisiblecastle.com for dice rolling.
What I use on ENWorld is a dice rolling site called http://invisiblecastle.com/ If you use your character name, the rolls are saved, and you can link to them during whatever 10 minutes you have to post. That way they can be verified and everyone is kept honest. I’ve used it for years without problems. :)
1d20=12
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Someone just needs to run a live webcam feed and roll for us when we ask him/her to.

Problem solved.

Pants optional, as always.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

And to think I popped in here to see what Goo had to say.

:pop:
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I have been using the invisible castle site I mentioned with success.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Well, limited success. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Lol