Charleston Church Shooting thread.

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

rshetts2

Charleston Church Shooting thread.

Post by rshetts2 »

This thread has walked the line of R&P but veered into history and prejudice as an historical issue. But now what is this topic about? Religion and Politics, in fact its about religion in politics now. May I ask why its still in EBG if the discussion is undeniably R&P? A moderator intentionally pushed it in that direction, so why do we even bother with the differentiation? Is this like a cop thing? We enforce the laws, we dont have to follow them or do some people have some kind of religious protection that allows them to ignore the rules? Because this is not a special case, this is modus operandi. Its been flat out stated before that the boundaries have been pushed intentionally, in the past. Im just curious as to why we have rules and guidelines if the people enforcing them not only don't honor them, they actively seek to subvert them? Im not calling anyone out ( but if the shoe fits... ) Im honestly curious as to why this situation with EBG and R&P exists. They were separated for a purpose. Is that no longer valid?
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Re: Charleston Church Shooting thread.

Post by FishPants »

rshetts2 wrote: Im just curious as to why we have rules and guidelines if the people enforcing them not only don't honor them, they actively seek to subvert them? Im not calling anyone out ( but if the shoe fits... )
I haven't read the thread, but your statement quoted there is nothing but inflammatory. I'm not sure what the grudge is here, but if you are questioning my motivations -- I think you may be barking up the wrong tree. I don't keep the lights on for the fame and glory ya know.

If there's an issue in a thread, try using the report button -- that's what it's there for.
No.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

When a thread is started as a breaking news thread, it's EBG. It's common for breaking news (especially shootings) to become saturated with R&P. It's tough to moderate when that happens. And in the thread in question, it's still a source of breaking news (the flag ninja takedown right now as I'm typing this). Like FP said, if there's a problem please use a report.

I can't speak for every mod, but I try to err on the side of keeping threads in situ but there is no plot to keep something in EBG (or anywhere) if it truly belongs in R&P (or somewhere else).
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

FishPants wrote:
rshetts2 wrote: Im just curious as to why we have rules and guidelines if the people enforcing them not only don't honor them, they actively seek to subvert them? Im not calling anyone out ( but if the shoe fits... )
I haven't read the thread, but your statement quoted there is nothing but inflammatory. I'm not sure what the grudge is here, but if you are questioning my motivations -- I think you may be barking up the wrong tree. I don't keep the lights on for the fame and glory ya know.

If there's an issue in a thread, try using the report button -- that's what it's there for.

Theres no grudge and Im not questioning your motivations or even referring to you, in fact. It was an honest question. I kept names out if it intentionally to avoid a confrontation and ask that question. I was under the understanding that this forum was the place for that. If you personally took offense I apologize, that was not my intent. I do admit there was one point of snark in my post, once again, not aimed at you, I apologize for that as well, sometime I just cant help myself.

In the particular thread I mentioned, calling out the Presidents political motivations while delivering a eulogy was the turning point. Until then the thread had walked a fine line and keeping it in EBG, even though it managed to get a bit heated at times, was understandable. Still, that post yanked it directly into R&P territory. My question was not about motivations but about direction. EBG has undeniably become far more R&P in recent times. I asked this question, instead of "reporting" the thread because of that fact. I thought some open discourse regarding the trend belonged in meta and thus here we are.

If you believe that this is not a valid thread and that its some kind of grudge pandering, feel free to delete it. I was looking for discourse on the matter and not a fight. If thats what this is going to bring then go head and blast the thread out of existence.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Your mistake is that I am not a mod.

I perform technical duties and weigh in on controversy. I don't decide what belongs where or why.

For good reason.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rip wrote:I don't decide what belongs where or why. For good reason.
:D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

rshetts2 wrote: Im just curious as to why we have rules and guidelines
We have what now?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Rip wrote:Your mistake is that I am not a mod.

I perform technical duties and weigh in on controversy. I don't decide what belongs where or why.

For good reason.
Do you even have SSH bro? ;)

I think we keep him around like that old smelly ottoman in an old lady's home. It served a purpose, now it's stained, a bit smelly and sometimes you kick it.

(*Not an elderly care worker*)

I didn't take offense to it, I was just trying to highlight your generalization on the staff was all. That and I was bouncing around in elder scrolls online and couldn't take too much time to consider my own tone.
No.
Rip

Post by Rip »

FishPants wrote:
Rip wrote:Your mistake is that I am not a mod.

For good reason.
Do you even have SSH bro? ;)

I think we keep him around like that old smelly ottoman in an old lady's home. It served a purpose, now it's stained, a bit smelly and sometimes you kick it.

(*Not an elderly care worker*)

I didn't take offense to it, I was just trying to highlight your generalization on the staff was all. That and I was bouncing around in elder scrolls online and couldn't take too much time to consider my own tone.
Yea, I do. Not so sure my saved info is current though.

Nope, just checked. I don't even seem to have the right IP. Go figure.

You have me spoiled. It is like I am one of your kids. :D

BTW, I could use a new bigger monitor, daddy. :lol:
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

LawBeefaroni wrote:When a thread is started as a breaking news thread, it's EBG. It's common for breaking news (especially shootings) to become saturated with R&P. It's tough to moderate when that happens. And in the thread in question, it's still a source of breaking news (the flag ninja takedown right now as I'm typing this). Like FP said, if there's a problem please use a report.

I can't speak for every mod, but I try to err on the side of keeping threads in situ but there is no plot to keep something in EBG (or anywhere) if it truly belongs in R&P (or somewhere else).
This.

And we don't generally (I only say generally because I'm not sure we haven't) move threads that morph into R&P. Even if we could point to a specific spot in a thread we aren't going to watch every thread for signs of it turning. EVERY thread could turn political/religious. Consequently threads tend to stay in the location where created unless the original post is R&P in nature.

I didn't read the thread and should have. I've gone and read through the first several pages. The thread did morph quite quickly into R&P. If it were still on page 1 and the same day (rather than on page 25 and 10 days later) I'd move it. Being that it has been well over a week and 25 pages I'm inclined to leave it.

Mods don't read every thread on the forum. We do rely on the report button for a lot of issues. The thread wasn't reported despite it morphing into R&P and there being some suspect posts (for CoC issues). I'd like to remind people to use the reporting feature and to try to remember the spirit of the CoC.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The spirit of the CoC is all we have left of it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

EvilHomer3k wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:When a thread is started as a breaking news thread, it's EBG. It's common for breaking news (especially shootings) to become saturated with R&P. It's tough to moderate when that happens. And in the thread in question, it's still a source of breaking news (the flag ninja takedown right now as I'm typing this). Like FP said, if there's a problem please use a report.

This.

And we don't generally (I only say generally because I'm not sure we haven't) move threads that morph into R&P. Even if we could point to a specific spot in a thread we aren't going to watch every thread for signs of it turning. EVERY thread could turn political/religious. Consequently threads tend to stay in the location where created unless the original post is R&P in nature.

I didn't read the thread and should have. I've gone and read through the first several pages. The thread did morph quite quickly into R&P. If it were still on page 1 and the same day (rather than on page 25 and 10 days later) I'd move it. Being that it has been well over a week and 25 pages I'm inclined to leave it.

Mods don't read every thread on the forum. We do rely on the report button for a lot of issues. The thread wasn't reported despite it morphing into R&P and there being some suspect posts (for CoC issues). I'd like to remind people to use the reporting feature and to try to remember the spirit of the CoC.
Cool. Thanks for the in depth answer, both of you. The general riff raff out here really dont know what happens behind the daily OO curtain of operatioons. The main reason I even brought this up was because we are entering a window of ubiquitous political downpour as the next federal level election and primaries go into full swing.