I've added a gamertag mod

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

FishPants
Server WhOOre

I've added a gamertag mod

Post by FishPants »

As you can see on the left my Steam and PSN gamertags are there. I've added this for prosilver and subsilver2 but haven't had time to figure out the manual hacking required for black pearl. I'll get around to it, but for now it's just the two themes that have it (because it automatically does it on install).
No.
Rip

Re: I've added a gamertag mod

Post by Rip »

#BlackPearlLivesMatter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Rip wrote:#BlackPearlLivesMatter
:lol:

I got mine added. Kind of neat. Not sure if anyone will look at it, but it is there if they want.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rip wrote:#BlackPearlLivesMatter
Amen. I can't use the bright themes - sensory issues make them really painful to read. Unfortunately, Black Pearl is well-loved, but seems to have the worst support (not from staff - I'm guessing it comes broken from the author, or hasn't been officially updated in a while or some such thing.) Stuff seems hard to add, and it gets way more than its share of bugs (I still have half a blank page between the text window and the 'submit' button.)

So, here is a thought. We chose Black Pearl because it matched Gone Gold and we wanted to keep that flavor. It has been more than a decade, though, since anyone has looked at Gone Gold. Is there a different black (or dark) theme that is fully supported and wouldn't result in all the issues, that might be easier for staff to add things to? I hate change, but it sounds like it might be an easier solution to this problem.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Unfortunately it seems every custom theme is derived from subsilver2 or prosilver. As a result every mod created only has direct support for those.

I was smart enough for a change to print the screen before committing the changes, that shows where code changed in each theme. I've now made the manual changes (where it would have happened for the subsilver2 theme, which Black Pearl is built off of) -- and am about to commit those changes.

There's a distinct possibility that this might really F up the black pearl theme (if so I'll back it out). I don't know enough about style sheets etc to quickly troubleshoot colour differences etc. Anyhow here goes nothing, standby!
No.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Yowza that didn't go well lol. Backed out the changes.
No.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So that's why OO went away for a while. ;)

Is there any solution to any of this that would be less hassle for you?
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Yes moving away from Blackpearl and sticking with subsilver2 and prosilver.

Want to know how Murphy kicked me in the balls today? I decide to do this, sure run into problems when trying to integrate into black pearl.. Go to the Mod support forum and guess what I see?

"The PHPBB 3.0.x Branch is now end of life, all mod support forums are locked, no further mod updates or replies are permitted. You must now upgrade your platform and your mods to the 3.1 branch".

So that's great, no warning, we're now end of life.

Perhaps admin will be easier on the new platform (it's a big overhaul, and in turn that means a big upgrade process I'm sure). Downside is from what I've seen so far on PhpBB 3.1 is there isn't much in the way of support yet for mods and themes -- I guess this is their way of forcing the community onto the new platform.

So standby I'm going to start looking at what its going to take to move, we don't have a choice. EOL software is dangerous (no security fixes). Sooooo standby (and get ready to get used to a new dark theme -- I'll make sure there's one for you).
No.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FishPants wrote: So standby I'm going to start looking at what its going to take to move, we don't have a choice. EOL software is dangerous (no security fixes). Sooooo standby (and get ready to get used to a new dark theme -- I'll make sure there's one for you).
:wub:

Brace for impact!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm tied to a color scheme rather than any of the other differences with a theme. If nothing else, could we spin off a theme on the new system that is solely a color change?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

So there's two dark ones that seem available (ignore weird banners etc, that's all customizable).

AnimeZone seems closest to black pearl.

or

Black which doesn't use yellow text so much as darker blue tones.

Thoughts?
No.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Both look ok to this Black Pearl user.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I don't care about locations of buttons, fonts, etc (as long as the functionality is there, of course) so much as just having it not be bright.

Looking at a bright webpage is like staring into a flashlight in the middle of the night for me. I get that same pain in the back of my eyes. I have to limit Google to no more than a minute or two, and have addons or alterations so that documents, YouTube, and other such things have dark backgrounds.

/edit - it occurs that a blue and black might be easier to work with, aesthetically, just because blue is the trim color for the light themes, too. It would make matching the logo art and such less of a hassle.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Blackhawk wrote:Yeah, I don't care about locations of buttons, fonts, etc (as long as the functionality is there, of course) so much as just having it not be bright.

Looking at a bright webpage is like staring into a flashlight in the middle of the night for me. I get that same pain in the back of my eyes. I have to limit Google to no more than a minute or two, and have addons or alterations so that documents, YouTube, and other such things have dark backgrounds.

/edit - it occurs that a blue and black might be easier to work with, aesthetically, just because blue is the trim color for the light themes, too. It would make matching the logo art and such less of a hassle.
There's always Blackle. Not sure how great it is, but there's a number of "dark" google sites.
No.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Blackhawk wrote:/edit - it occurs that a blue and black might be easier to work with, aesthetically, just because blue is the trim color for the light themes, too. It would make matching the logo art and such less of a hassle.
yeah, blue/black might be better, unless we really want the nostalgic old GG feel.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FishPants wrote: There's always Blackle. Not sure how great it is, but there's a number of "dark" google sites.
:shock:

I spent so much time looking for ways to recolor google itself (after google removed the ability to set a custom image) that it never occurred to me that it might already exist.

You have saved me pain!
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Glad I could help, but always keep in mind these sites don't operate on a "nice guy" model. They're making money somehow, either through referral links or harvesting consumer data that you're searching for. As long as you're OK with these guys knowing exactly what you search for (vs Google knowing, which they would continue to know) -- I hope it works well.
No.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

FishPants wrote:So there's two dark ones that seem available (ignore weird banners etc, that's all customizable).

AnimeZone seems closest to black pearl.

or

Black which doesn't use yellow text so much as darker blue tones.

Thoughts?
Either is fine. Another board I skim regularly appears to use the Black theme and it's comfortable to look at.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Rip

Post by Rip »

I'm onboard as well.

The blue does look kind of neat.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote:
FishPants wrote: There's always Blackle. Not sure how great it is, but there's a number of "dark" google sites.
:shock:

I spent so much time looking for ways to recolor google itself (after google removed the ability to set a custom image) that it never occurred to me that it might already exist.

You have saved me pain!
If you use Firefox, the Colour Toggle add-on allows you to set up two colour profiles (which include foreground, background, link, and visited link colours) and easily switch between them whenever you like. That way, you needn't rely on sites like Blackle when you'd prefer to browse using a dark background with light text.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke