What is the policy (is there one?) on self promotion?

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Redfive

What is the policy (is there one?) on self promotion?

Post by Redfive »

Hey guys,

After several years of discussing it with my family we have finally decided to quit talking and actually put together a business to provide 3D architectural renderings for residential construction.

We just launched the site and I was considering amending my signature to include a reference to it. Are there any issues with this? I'm not planning on starting a thread or anything, just want exposure if I make posts.

*looks at post count*

Good luck to me :horse:
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Carpet_pissr

Re: What is the policy (is there one?) on self promotion?

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Why not start a thread? I would be interested in knowing more about what it is you're offering (in fact sounds like something I could have used on two different occasions in our current money pit of a house).
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We don't have a formal policy one way or the other. I'm OK with a link to your personal business in your signature, as long as you're not creating threads for the purpose of pimping your business. For example, Kraken has a link to Curio City in his sig.

I very much dislike referral tags in people's signatures. Just strikes me as tacky. (That's not what you're talking about here, of course, but just a little tangent.)

And it's very much appreciated that you ask before you deploy the link, so thank you!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

As an alternative to creating a thread, feel free to post about it in my 'Home projects/Cool sh*t for homes', thread. Sounds relevant to the topic.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

To be clear, I wouldn't have a problem with a post covering his new venture - that's the kind of thing that people share around here, and it's generally cool (although always most polite to ask first!). I was thinking multiple posts or a clear advertising post as opposed to a general post to his internet friends letting us know what he's up to.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Cool, thanks.

I'll put a post together this evening some time. CP feel free to contact me if I can answer any questions.

3D Architectural Renderings is the site so you can check it out before I post if you want.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:ugeek: ... Epic wants to help architects use Unreal Engine

some:
Epic revealed this week that it is planning a series of webinars that will demonstrate the Unreal Engine’s capabilities as a visualization tool for architects. When a structural designer comes up with an idea, it is often difficult to convey what the final product might look like to other people. In the past, architects have relied on drawings or small-scale models, but something like Unreal can bring a design to life and enable people to move around in a photorealistic setting with natural lighting at a variety of scales. And with virtual reality, something like Unreal could even make people feel like they are standing inside a building that does not yet exist.

The company is planning four free webinars with the first one kicking off April 2. That event will feature architect Fabrice Bourrelly, who will go over some of the reasons to use Unreal for architecture. Register for the webinar here.
Ain't nobody got time for that
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

What does that have to do with this topic?
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
KDH

Post by KDH »

It is my understanding that Redfive is using 3D software to display architectural projects to clients .. unreal engine could be an extension of that product line for his company

and would be for Redfive to decide whether it has to do with the topic

or did I misunderstand his post?
Ain't nobody got time for that
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Thanks for the info. KDH, I will check it out.