I need some testers

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

FishPants
Server WhOOre

I need some testers

Post by FishPants »

Ok so since I have converted the board (a snapshot of the OO database, they aren't tied together) -- I could use your help and feedback, but you need to be comfortable editing your hosts file.

Edit your hosts file (Admin in windows, root/sudo in *nix) and add the following:

Code: Select all

192.99.8.158	test902.com
192.99.8.158 	www.test902.com
Now open a browser and go to http://www.test902.com/forum/ -- you can now login with your OO credentials.

For now I would like you to poke around the board, test away (post, edit etc) -- but more importantly I have installed a bunch of phpbb 3.1 styles I'd like people to weigh in on for when we do migrate. Sadly Black Pearl has NOT been updated for this branch, so I've put in some others that are similar that hopefully will fit the bill.

Feedback welcomed here in the thread (that way others can see it) or direct to my via PM. Thanks!
Last edited by FishPants on Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No.
Blackhawk

Re: I need some testers

Post by Blackhawk »

Black Pearl has memories, and was originally put in place because it mimicked Gone Gold's color scheme. I'll miss it for sentimental reasons, but I am perfectly happy with the options on the new version. All that is vital to me is that there be dark themes (and both the Digi and Black work fine), as being photophobic make the white ones fairly painful to look at, and unreadable.

If I had a 'wishlist' item, it would be to have a readable theme that actually has a black background, but it absolutely is not worth you trying to maintain a hacked together, out-of-date theme. It is nice being able to keep OO open on a screen in a dark room without lighting things up. To be honest, though, even if we did have one, I'd still be tempted to use a gray.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

FishPants wrote:Sadly Black Pearl has NOT been updated for this branch,
:cry:
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, I've tried to break it. I've tried nesting quotes, different types of images, tweets, breaking the margins (I love that it auto-shrinks huge images), and searching for convoluted things. Everything seems to be working.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

SEGamer Light and PBTech are two of my favourites so far (they both will need a bit of hacking and image changing).. I like the tiled approach to PB Tech.
No.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The only thing I have is that when I closed the tab and re-opened it (without closing the browser), I wasn't still logged in.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I like SE Gamer, but it made my eyes burst into flame.

I tried fiddling with the connections to various services (ICQ, etc) via the control panel by putting in gibberish. It seemed to work. The only one I still have an account for (that I ever use) is Facebook, and that one I wasn't able to get to work, as I couldn't figure out what format it wanted, and it wouldn't accept slashes in the URL.

It isn't a huge deal to me as I won't be linking my OO account directly to Facebook, but I thought I'd mention it.

One thing that I do notice is that the option to link my Steam account is gone, and that is a feature a lot of us do use, especially during the sale events.

As an aside, that feature seems broken here (on non-testing OO), too. It has unlinked my account, and won't accept my profile. It may be user error, so I'll keep fiddling.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I tried out a lot of different themes, too, as well as a few posts and a PM. Everything seemed to work as expected. I don't have much to report on themes as "functional" is generally all I care about. I'm still using the default color scheme, and have been since I started here.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote:
As an aside, that feature seems broken here, too. It has unlinked my account, and won't accept my profile. It may be user error, so I'll keep fiddling.
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Unknown column 'user_steam' in 'field list' [1054]
Observations: I am not seeing the Steam link in other peoples' bars anymore either, including some I'm pretty sure I've followed it from before.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Paingod wrote:The only thing I have is that when I closed the tab and re-opened it (without closing the browser), I wasn't still logged in.
Likewise. It won't remember me.
nasai

Post by nasai »

You can't adjust the occupation and location boxes. They default to a failure page.
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

nasai wrote:You can't adjust the occupation and location boxes. They default to a failure page.
Thanks I will need to start a list of things to check out and fix.
No.