Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Unread posts

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Haranguer

Unread posts

Post by Haranguer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:05 pm

What has happened to "Unread Posts"? Great way to keep up on everything without having to go through every topic.

Don't see how to search on other members either.

Haranguer. :?: :?:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Isgrimnur

Re: Unread posts

Post by Isgrimnur » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:12 pm

Which theme are you using?
Silver - 3k

People who are wrong often get mad at people who are right. (I have surprisingly never been shot.) (h/t Kevin Underhill, Lowering the Bar)

tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:17 pm

Probably black. Same for me posted in other thread
Home of the Akimbo AWPs

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:41 pm

Silver - 3k

People who are wrong often get mad at people who are right. (I have surprisingly never been shot.) (h/t Kevin Underhill, Lowering the Bar)

TheMix

Post by TheMix » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:49 pm

Years ago I just added a link to my bookmark toolbar. It's a lot faster than looking for the link on the page.

https://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/ ... nreadposts
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.

tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:30 pm

TheMix wrote:Years ago I just added a link to my bookmark toolbar. It's a lot faster than looking for the link on the page.

https://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/ ... nreadposts
Smrt
Home of the Akimbo AWPs

Blackhawk
Snooze

Post by Blackhawk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:40 pm

I'm always surprised at how many people use that. Seeing all of the posts just lumped in together without the context to topics would make me nuts.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:59 pm

? It shows the thread title and then you click on the little paper icon to take you to the first unread post. It doesn't just show the posts.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs

Blackhawk
Snooze

Post by Blackhawk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:20 pm

I know. I just don't want to have the R&P mixed in with the PC Gaming mixed in with the Meta forum and so on. Sometimes, for instance, I'll skip R&P until I have the time to give it more attention (or when I'm just not in the mood.) If I'm following a particular thread in Gaming in General, I'll jump in there if I see a new post, even if I don't have time for the others. The Forum Games I never click on. Lumping them all together just seems like a really weird way of reading things to me.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

The Meal
Loading…

Post by The Meal » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:28 pm

Blackhawk wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:20 pm
I know. I just don't want to have the R&P mixed in with the PC Gaming mixed in with the Meta forum and so on. Sometimes, for instance, I'll skip R&P until I have the time to give it more attention (or when I'm just not in the mood.) If I'm following a particular thread in Gaming in General, I'll jump in there if I see a new post, even if I don't have time for the others. The Forum Games I never click on. Lumping them all together just seems like a really weird way of reading things to me.
Agreed.
Not a pathological narcissist.

TheMix

Post by TheMix » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 am

It shows which forum the post is in. Though the title itself is often a giveaway. Rarely I'll click a post thinking it's something else and then realize that it's in a forum I wasn't expecting (usually that's going to be either R&P or Forum Games). But generally I choose the threads I want to read by the title/subject matter, not by the forum. :confusion-shrug:
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 am

I browse multiple ways. New Posts helps me keep up on active threads. I probably do this the most. Unread helps me see threads I missed. Unanswered helps me find neglected posts.

The by category when I'm feeling like catching up on games or R&P or whatever. This is my favorite but I rarely have time for this kind of deep read.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:06 am

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 am
I browse multiple ways. New Posts helps me keep up on active threads. I probably do this the most. Unread helps me see threads I missed. Unanswered helps me find neglected posts.

The by category when I'm feeling like catching up on games or R&P or whatever. This is my favorite but I rarely have time for this kind of deep read.
You left out "I haven't been interested in clicking on this thread but it just hit a 2nd page and there's no logical reason why that topic would hit 2 pages so now I have to read it from the beginning to see what's going on."

hentzau

Post by hentzau » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:55 pm

The Meal wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:28 pm
Blackhawk wrote:
Agreed.
+1
"Women are naturally secretive, and they like to do their own secreting." - Sherlock Holmes, A Scandal in Bohemia

Haranguer

Post by Haranguer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Got it, thanks to all, appreciated.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:49 am

hentzau wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:55 pm
The Meal wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:28 pm
Blackhawk wrote:
Agreed.
+1
Same here.
We had subs. It was crazy