Steam tag Etiquette

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

GreenGoo

Steam tag Etiquette

Post by GreenGoo »

What's the accepted usage? Is there a problem with dropping the tag into threads where you mention a specific game, or is it a ffa?

I don't have a horse in this race, I just want to know if there is a tacit agreement or disagreement or anything like that.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Steam tag Etiquette

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's either on or off. No selectively dropping it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I meant is it ok for me to use it liberally or is there some sort of agreed upon usage that I may have missed?

My thought is only that it can add to the download size of a thread pretty quickly if it's used in bulk and that has annoyed people in the past.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Are you talking about the Steam logo that goes underneath your avatar, or just some link that you put into a post?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:40 pm Are you talking about the Steam logo that goes underneath your avatar, or just some link that you put into a post?
It seems when you put a steam link with no tags, the board software generates an image with the price and game art and such. At least that's how I assumed it worked.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

like this

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Oh. I thought you meant the steam user profile. Never knew about that thing.

I don't see a problem posting it, bandwidth use is minimal (by today's standards).

Like any image, when it adds to a post/thread have at it. But it would get annoying at every mention of a game.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I can't imagine it being used in a list of games or a casual mention, but if someone is talking about a specific game, I don't see it as being any different than someone linking to that games page the old fashioned way. For those who care, it's a convenience. For those that don't, it's easily ignored.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
naednek

Post by naednek »

Just ask SmooveB if it's affecting him. Everyone else is in the 21st century
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's a solid 10 seconds before the image referral shows up for me.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:36 am Oh. I thought you meant the steam user profile. Never knew about that thing.

I don't see a problem posting it, bandwidth use is minimal (by today's standards).

Like any image, when it adds to a post/thread have at it. But it would get annoying at every mention of a game.
Ok. The scenario was mentioning a game I was playing that was not necessarily familiar to most people, so I posted a link, but then I remembered the feature added by the new board software.

I'll use where I think appropriate and keep it to a minimum otherwise, to save poor Smoove from the constant reminder that NJ is a 3rd world country.