Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Is input laggy for anyone else?

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Post Reply
User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 25489
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana
Contact:
Blackhawk’s avatar
Snooze

Is input laggy for anyone else?

Post by Blackhawk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:58 pm

I've had this problem for a while now, and wrote it off to interference in my wireless keyboard, but now I'm seeing it on high-end wired keyboards as well, and a couple of other people mentioned something similar in another thread, enough that I'm thinking it may not be a local problem.

Every now and then, input on OO gets very, very laggy. I'm not talking about delays clicking links or opening pages, I'm talking about keyboard keys taking four or five seconds to register when typing a reply. It only happens here, and will get really bad for maybe five minutes, then stop only to return an hour or two later
[This space left intentionally blank.]

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45194
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Is input laggy for anyone else?

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:46 pm

When you're typing text, the site isn't doing anything so I'm not sure how it's an OO specific thing. Maybe adware or spellchecker on your end?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Daehawk
Posts: 42003
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:11 am
daehawk’s avatar
Online

Re: Is input laggy for anyone else?

Post by Daehawk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:56 pm

Nothing seen on my end lately.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 9 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 25489
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana
Contact:
Blackhawk’s avatar
Snooze

Re: Is input laggy for anyone else?

Post by Blackhawk » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:07 am

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:46 pm
When you're typing text, the site isn't doing anything so I'm not sure how it's an OO specific thing. Maybe adware or spellchecker on your end?
I don't run an extra spell checker, and I keep my PCs drug and disease free, with regular check-ups.

I really wish I could remember which thread it was in the past week or two where several people all mentioned it was happening to them as well.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

User avatar
wonderpug
Posts: 9409
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:38 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: Is input laggy for anyone else?

Post by wonderpug » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:22 am

I've been seeing the same thing. I've only seen it happen here, which is really weird, and it's happening right now as I type. Just takes a perceptible wee bit longer for my keystroke to appear in the text entry box.

I'm using Chrome, and a Google search on the issue seemed to hint it might be tied to Chrome hardware acceleration, but I just checked my settings and the acceleration is disabled.

User avatar
Daehawk
Posts: 42003
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:11 am
daehawk’s avatar
Online

Re: Is input laggy for anyone else?

Post by Daehawk » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:05 pm

Blackhawk wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:07 am
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:46 pm
When you're typing text, the site isn't doing anything so I'm not sure how it's an OO specific thing. Maybe adware or spellchecker on your end?
I don't run an extra spell checker, and I keep my PCs drug and disease free, with regular check-ups.

I really wish I could remember which thread it was in the past week or two where several people all mentioned it was happening to them as well.
It was under the Keyboards RAZER thread in General Computing....
Rumpy wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:10 am
So, after upgrading to Win 10, I'm noticing that the backspace key feels less responsive in that it takes a lot more time to backspace something than it did in Win 7, but I figure it's a setting somewhere. Anyone know where?

Daehawk wrote:
Hold down the right shift for about 8 seconds. You will hear a noise. When you hear that noise everything should be back to normal
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 9 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

User avatar
Rip
Posts: 26871
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Cajun Country!
Contact:
Rip’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Is input laggy for anyone else?

Post by Rip » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:09 pm

wonderpug wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:22 am
I've been seeing the same thing. I've only seen it happen here, which is really weird, and it's happening right now as I type. Just takes a perceptible wee bit longer for my keystroke to appear in the text entry box.

I'm using Chrome, and a Google search on the issue seemed to hint it might be tied to Chrome hardware acceleration, but I just checked my settings and the acceleration is disabled.
I've seen some lag on the message posting page which I assumed has something to do with the smilies panel.

User avatar
Rumpy
Posts: 8096
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Re: Is input laggy for anyone else?

Post by Rumpy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:41 pm

For me, I don't really even notice it anymore, and it was with Backspace where it was mostly noticeable. I had to think it was something about the way Windows 10 does things, because even with the speed maxed, it still does it. But if I'm just typing normally, it feels normal and quick. For me, the issue lies in when a key is depressed for a period of time, like the Backspace key for instance.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Post Reply