Kickstarter 2018

All discussions regarding Electronic, Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, Zaxxon

Isgrimnur

Kickstarter 2018

Post by Isgrimnur » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:02 am

To paraphrase AWS260: Because it's 2018.
Silver - 5k

AWS260

Re: Kickstarter 2018

Post by AWS260 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:44 am

I've got a few backed projects pending (DinoGenics!), but I don't see myself backing much, if anything, in 2018.

On the board game front, I'd rather focus on diving deeper into the very good games already on my shelf.

On the video game front, I'd rather just wait until a game releases, or at least hits early access.

On the "other stuff" front, who knows. In the past, I've backed a theatrical production on the waters of our local Superfund site, and my wife regularly backs Calamityware's projects. So I suppose something could come up.
2 Kings 2:24

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:34 am

The only thing I have my sights set on is the Aeon's End Legacy game that is supposed to happen this year. Aeon's End was my big pickup last year (sorry Hunt for the Ring) and I am really interested to see what they do with the Legacy format (and my son is also excited about it, which excites me even more). Apparently when you are done, the mages you build up in the legacy game can be used with the regular game.
-Coop

hentzau

Post by hentzau » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:00 pm

Since I'm out of room on my shelves, I'm going to be cutting way back on the Kickstarters this year. Example: Modiphus is doing a Kickstarter for their new John Carter RPG, a genre of fiction that I dearly love. But I'm not joining the Kickstarter, I will wait for the actual release of the product. Same thing for their Fallout minis game, I am avoiding that one too. I do have a few items I'm waiting for fulfillment on though.
"Women are naturally secretive, and they like to do their own secreting." - Sherlock Holmes, A Scandal in Bohemia

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:18 pm

I'm not big into westerns but Western Legends looks fun. Anytime I hear about sandbox style games they immediately pique my interest but most seem to be either huge time sinks and/or have a million components and interlocking systems that make them hard to teach new players. Early impressions from play-testers also sounds promising so I'm in.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:43 pm

Yeah, I absolutely had to back Western Legends. I've really been trying to stop (and I've certainly slowed down KS backing), but this just looked too damn good.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:03 pm

I've only backed one Kickstarter in my life, but Western Legends may be the second. I absolutely love Westerns and miniatures. Put them both together and you just need to SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:11 am

Well crap, I don't want to be the only kid in school without one. I guess I'm in too.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:51 am

As long as there's no solo rules I should be able to easily resist (I hope there isn't one. My poor wallet)
From a recent interview with Pope Francis: “I have a dogmatic certainty: God is in every person’s life. God is in everyone’s life…Even if the life of a person has been a disaster, even if it is destroyed by vices, drugs or anything else—God is in this person’s life. You can, you must try to seek God in every human life.”

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:30 am

No, I don't think it would be possible to solo the game from what I've seen. There are special two player rules that include an AI system for "The Man in Black", but I think the game's sweet spot is 3-4 players.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:45 pm

The card art and game board looks really nice and has that Old West flavor. I think it would be a good addition to someone's collection.
From a recent interview with Pope Francis: “I have a dogmatic certainty: God is in every person’s life. God is in everyone’s life…Even if the life of a person has been a disaster, even if it is destroyed by vices, drugs or anything else—God is in this person’s life. You can, you must try to seek God in every human life.”

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:42 pm

reprint kickstarters are usually a pretty good bet. For anyone who is a Phil Eklund fan there is a kickstarter currently for Neanderthal & Greenland up on kickstarter. Both have been interesting to me for a while and I have enjoyed the thought behind Eklund's games. You can get either game separately or both of them together with this kickstarter. 2 games for $49... hard to beat. Anyways I'm in for both as these games are hard to find after initial printing.

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Now that kickstarter ticks me off. I waited patiently to get a copy of the 2nd edition of Greenland, then a copy of Neanderthal when it released. Now there’s new editions with some changes I’d like...but I have to buy them all over again because there’s no upgrade kit available. This is one of the dangers of Kickstarter for consumers. There seems to always be a better edition just around the corner. :x
-Mr Bismarck

Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:58 pm

hepcat wrote:Now that kickstarter ticks me off. I waited patiently to get a copy of the 2nd edition of Greenland, then a copy of Neanderthal when it released. Now there’s new editions with some changes I’d like...but I have to buy them all over again because there’s no upgrade kit available. This is one of the dangers of Kickstarter for consumers. There seems to always be a better edition just around the corner. :x
It's a complaint about eklund games I've heard before too. I get it being frustrating. But I also want them...

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Well, let’s put it this way, I dropped my western legends pledge and backed these two. I’m annoyed, but the games are absolutely fantastic. Even solo.

I think I’ll give my older copies to one of the Chicago gang. Of course, I want to see them Star Trek arena fight for them. I’ll get Zarathud to dress like the woman in the silver mini dress. I mean, he has to feel bad he’s only worn it that one time.
-Mr Bismarck

Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:21 pm

I've been tempted multiple times my Western legends but... I don't like using ai at 2 players and I am much more picky about buying games that don't inherently support 2 players. I just hope I get to play someone else's eventually.

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:32 pm

And coincidentally, my copy of Eklund's Bios Genesis 2nd edition just arrived.

He's become enamored of small box/big concept games, it seems. I think the Pax series started it.

Edit: Good God, this is his densest "small box" game yet, I believe. My head is already spinning...and I only read the game overview page. Sheesh. Not sure if this one will make it to the table, but I'll try it solo once at least...unless my head explodes while reading the rule book further.
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Mr Bismarck

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:39 pm

After some more reading I'm off the Western Legends train as well. I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually, but there's no way in hell I'm getting a 3-4 player game to the table this year. May as well wait until it hits retail or a second printing.

Plus with a GenCon trip being increasingly likely this year, I need to save some budget for that.

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:44 pm

Book your hotel now. Also, plan on getting drunk with Harkonis and I at least one night.
-Mr Bismarck