Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Months Renewed - We are good until October 2020. Paypal Donation Link Here

OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Blackhawk
Loading…

Re: OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:42 am
I think Hero Realms will be my next purchase. So you just need the base game and The Ruin of Thandar set for campaign play, correct?
FYI, Ruins of Thandar is only the first half of the campaign. The second half is about to hit retail as The Lost Village.

Hero Realms is one game I went all-in on. I just got the Kickstarter Lost Village stuff in a couple of weeks ago. I was waiting for that before I started my own attempt on the campaign.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I was excited that both Tiny Epic Galaxies and the Baldur's Gate xpac for Dungeon Mayhem showed up last night, as Amazon was showing them for delivery on Tuesday. All three of my kids were gathered around the table this morning, slinging cards at each other, and shouting "GO FOR THE EYES, BOO!" It was pretty awesome. :lol:

Really impressed with how much game TEG packs into such a small package. The level of strategy is a bit much for the Wonder Twins 6.11 (although they grasp the basic concepts just fine), but Little B 11.3 absolutely loves it. We played three games this morning, with her winning all three. Definitely a thumbs up from the Skinypupy household.

I've held off on starting the Hero Realms campaign, as all three kids have been playing multiple games against each other every day. Since the campaign has you customizing the character decks, that would throw a wrench into their games. Besides, I'd much rather play the campaign solo, so I'll wait until some of their initial enthusiasm wears down before jumping into that. My only complaint is that the cards feel quite cheap. We've had three of them split and start peeling apart already. Pretty easy to fix with some scotch tape, but still kinda disappointing.

Since I now have my dedicated gaming space back, I've been trying to jump back into my Gloomhaven campaign...but am just not feeling it at all. I've set it up three times now, and sort of halfheartedly started a couple campaign, but haven't finished either. I probably just need to bust open a couple new characters and mix in some variety. Playing these same two for 20+ hours has gotten a bit stale.
The pendulum slows
Then stilled under the cold
In absence he flies
In presence we will writhe
- Bell Witch, "Mirror Reaper"

Tao

Post by Tao »

Might be time to invest in some card sleeves. They are fairly cheap on Amazon, I have been getting these lately; Standard Sleeves. Not sure what size cards the games you are playing use, but they have sleeves for just about every configuration.The only downside is they can make storage an issue at times depending on how many cards you sleeve.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thought about it. Problem is, the cards + character decks barely fit in the box as-is, and there’s no way they would fit with sleeves. Will need to keep an eye out for a better solution.

I’m mostly just bugged because we have tons of card games, and this is the only one that we’ve had this issue with cards coming apart. I don’t think we’ve been any harder on this game than any of the others, but it’s been far less durable.
The pendulum slows
In absence he flies

Blackhawk
Loading…

Post by Blackhawk »

Have you considered contacting them about it? I've had both Hero Realms and Star Realms for years and have never had a problem with the cards. You may have gotten a bad batch.

Tao

Post by Tao »

So I know it's starting to pile on the costs and may simply not be worth it but they make deck boxes, mostly for CCG, that are over sized to fit sleeved cards.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez

Blackhawk
Loading…

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:32 pm
Thought about it. Problem is, the cards + character decks barely fit in the box as-is, and there’s no way they would fit with sleeves. Will need to keep an eye out for a better solution.

There is an option, but it involves more investment. They also make official sleeves that are fairly priced and have the Hero Realms logo already on the back of them, which is nice. Since I got them through KS, I have *almost* enough sleeves for the whole game, save for the latest expansion. And you're right. They don't fit in the box sleeved. Not even in the old 'everything' box if you include the boss, class, and race decks.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:25 pm
Skinypupy wrote:

There is an option, but it involves more investment. They also make official sleeves that are fairly priced and have the Hero Realms logo already on the back of them, which is nice. Since I got them through KS, I have *almost* enough sleeves for the whole game, save for the latest expansion. And you're right. They don't fit in the box sleeved. Not even in the old 'everything' box if you include the boss, class, and race decks.
Thanks, will keep that in mind.

Looking through the Hero Realms section of that site and...wait...Hero Realms dice?
The pendulum slows
In absence he flies

Blackhawk
Loading…

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:31 pm
Blackhawk wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:25 pm
Skinypupy wrote:

Thanks, will keep that in mind.

Looking through the Hero Realms section of that site and...wait...Hero Realms dice?
Countdown dice (numbers are in numerical order) for tracking health.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ah. We stole the HP counters out of Gloomhaven and Aeons End for our games.

Speaking of which, we had a game last night where I focused on Yellow cards. Got some crazy synergies, and ended up healing 20-30 points every turn. Ended the game beating all three kids, with my Cleric’s HP at 153. :lol:
The pendulum slows
In absence he flies

coopasonic
Loading…

Post by coopasonic »

I got Flamme Rouge for my birthday and just read the rules. It sounds super simple, yet super interesting. I can't wait to play it. I might even be able to get the wife on board.
-Coop

EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

coopasonic wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:30 pm
I got Flamme Rouge for my birthday and just read the rules. It sounds super simple, yet super interesting. I can't wait to play it. I might even be able to get the wife on board.
Don't forget to download the companion app which allows you to create your own stages and grand tours!
If you like the game, definitely get the peloton and meteo expansion, both are very much worth it!
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->

coopasonic
Loading…

Post by coopasonic »

EzeKieL wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:20 am
coopasonic wrote:
Don't forget to download the companion app which allows you to create your own stages and grand tours!
If you like the game, definitely get the peloton and meteo expansion, both are very much worth it!
My 10yo helped me run through a learning game this morning and it looks like it should be interesting. I am definitely looking forward to playing with more players (and with hills).
-Coop

Isgrimnur
Loading…

Post by Isgrimnur »

Chit-punching and organizing for Next War:Korea.

2”x2” bags per Corps.

EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

coopasonic wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:49 pm
EzeKieL wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:20 am
coopasonic wrote:
My 10yo helped me run through a learning game this morning and it looks like it should be interesting. I am definitely looking forward to playing with more players (and with hills).
I forgot to specify that the peloton expansion adds 2 more teams and also the option of adding 2 types of dummy teams. Muscle teams (regular teams but the sprinters get an extra 5) and a peloton team (that team only uses the rouleur cards to move both cyclists and it has 2x 2/9 cards - > the first cyclist moves 2, the second one moves 9.) The expansion also adds cobblestones (which often means the road narrows to just one lane and there's no slipstreaming).

Meteo adds 4 different weather conditions. 2 of them let you draw one more or one less cards. Another stops slipstreaming and the 4th, my favourite (rain), adds crashes. That means that when you can't land on a spot, you get pushed back as usual and you fall down. Your next card on the next turn will have -2. Always fun to see what happens on that stroke.

I have a (solo) Grand Tour with 6 teams (4 muscle, 1 peloton and me) going on my Instagram page, below is the first stage (etape), you can find the others there ^^ (I'm at 7/10 at the moment).

You can also see the breakaway there (at the start of the game people bid 1 card to get into a breakaway, then everyone bids a second card. The two winners discard the cards and shuffle 2 exhaustion cards in their deck, the others just shuffle the cards back in the deck), which you need to use when you play with 6 teams.

Sorry for the monologue here but I love the game so much :wub:
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The more I play Keyforge, the less I enjoy it. Little B 11.3 and I have played maybe a half-dozen games, and all but one have been total blowouts.

Maybe I got unlucky with my decks, but the game just feels very unbalanced. Mars cards feel overly dominant with big HP/Damage creatures than can heal and stun, while Shadow cards can often feel almost useless. It also feels completely dependent on the order in which you happen to draw cards. I get there's an element of that luck with any card game, but this one feels more pronounced than most. One unlucky draw feels like it can immediately spiral the entire game.

I'm sure there's a level of strategery that would help me be more successful, but I'm not sure we care enough to figure it out. Oh well.
The pendulum slows
In absence he flies