Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Kickstarter (Merged)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Post Reply
User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 31142
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Blackhawk »

For me? Yes. For tarot card collectors? Probably not.
________________________________________
The light at the end of the tunnel

Black Lives Matter
User avatar
raydude
Posts: 3327
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:22 am

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by raydude »

baelthazar wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:50 pm While I really want this, I need to remember how I owned both the Medieval one and the original and never played either. The gameplay is just a bit too simple for my tastes (Core Space, for example, is just as easy to play and has more going for it).

That said, I do love the theme. I sort of regret selling the Dark Ages one.
I decided to back this as I have never owned a Zombiecide game and I do like the idea of Zombies in the Old West. That said, what do folks who have Zombicide think of the gameplay? Is it something a 9 and 13-year-old would be able to grasp? How's the art in the previous games? Is it over the top? Filled with gore?
User avatar
hentzau
Posts: 14572
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:06 am
Location: Castle Zenda, Ruritania

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by hentzau »

I mean, I have more Shadows of Brimstone than I'll ever be able to use...do I need another game like this?

(I've never played a Zombiecide game in my life...but as stated, if I were going to buy one, this would be the one.)
"Women are naturally secretive, and they like to do their own secreting." - Sherlock Holmes, A Scandal in Bohemia
User avatar
baelthazar
Posts: 3633
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by baelthazar »

raydude wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:20 pm
baelthazar wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:50 pm While I really want this, I need to remember how I owned both the Medieval one and the original and never played either. The gameplay is just a bit too simple for my tastes (Core Space, for example, is just as easy to play and has more going for it).

That said, I do love the theme. I sort of regret selling the Dark Ages one.
I decided to back this as I have never owned a Zombiecide game and I do like the idea of Zombies in the Old West. That said, what do folks who have Zombicide think of the gameplay? Is it something a 9 and 13-year-old would be able to grasp? How's the art in the previous games? Is it over the top? Filled with gore?
IIRC, there isn't a lot of overt gore (other than body parts and bloodstains), but there DOES tend to be a lot of "sexy" scuplts. Even the zombies in the previous editions had thongs showing through their tattered skirts, loads of cleavage, and shapely legs. The survivors are similarly hypersexualized (particularly the women). I looked at this KS and it seems like they are following the dressing conventions of the era, with only one or two (the obligatory Wild West prostitute named Trixie, for example) being scantily clad. This may not be a big deal, but since I don't know your feelings on this and it WAS something the original and Dark Ages were criticized for, I thought I would mention it.

The gameplay loop is pretty simple and would probably be fine for the 9 year old (absolutely for the 13yo). Zombies move towards noise or line of sight PCs. PCs get certain movement points and can take a limited number of actions. Items are clear and usually give bonus die, defense, or better types of attacks (like ranged or area of effect). It's a dice fest. The more zombies you kill, the faster you level up your characters to get some extra bonuses. Usually the scenario has some goal (such as reach an area, find an item, destroy an item, or kill an abomination). Zombie variety isn't particularly great, so you don't have to worry about keeping track of too many stats and things.

Part of why I didn't keep my copies is that I did not find it a compelling solo play game (in comparison to others I have) and you have to play multiple characters (often at least 3-4). It wasn't complex enough to warrant me setting it up and playing. That said, given the remote nature of my work, this new one may be a great "between meetings or turn during downtime" game. Like Hentzau said though, I've got Shadows of Brimstone (a FAR more complicated game) if I want a wild west fix.
User avatar
raydude
Posts: 3327
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:22 am

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by raydude »

baelthazar wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:42 am
raydude wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:20 pm
baelthazar wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:50 pm While I really want this, I need to remember how I owned both the Medieval one and the original and never played either. The gameplay is just a bit too simple for my tastes (Core Space, for example, is just as easy to play and has more going for it).

That said, I do love the theme. I sort of regret selling the Dark Ages one.
I decided to back this as I have never owned a Zombiecide game and I do like the idea of Zombies in the Old West. That said, what do folks who have Zombicide think of the gameplay? Is it something a 9 and 13-year-old would be able to grasp? How's the art in the previous games? Is it over the top? Filled with gore?
IIRC, there isn't a lot of overt gore (other than body parts and bloodstains), but there DOES tend to be a lot of "sexy" scuplts. Even the zombies in the previous editions had thongs showing through their tattered skirts, loads of cleavage, and shapely legs. The survivors are similarly hypersexualized (particularly the women). I looked at this KS and it seems like they are following the dressing conventions of the era, with only one or two (the obligatory Wild West prostitute named Trixie, for example) being scantily clad. This may not be a big deal, but since I don't know your feelings on this and it WAS something the original and Dark Ages were criticized for, I thought I would mention it.

The gameplay loop is pretty simple and would probably be fine for the 9 year old (absolutely for the 13yo). Zombies move towards noise or line of sight PCs. PCs get certain movement points and can take a limited number of actions. Items are clear and usually give bonus die, defense, or better types of attacks (like ranged or area of effect). It's a dice fest. The more zombies you kill, the faster you level up your characters to get some extra bonuses. Usually the scenario has some goal (such as reach an area, find an item, destroy an item, or kill an abomination). Zombie variety isn't particularly great, so you don't have to worry about keeping track of too many stats and things.

Part of why I didn't keep my copies is that I did not find it a compelling solo play game (in comparison to others I have) and you have to play multiple characters (often at least 3-4). It wasn't complex enough to warrant me setting it up and playing. That said, given the remote nature of my work, this new one may be a great "between meetings or turn during downtime" game. Like Hentzau said though, I've got Shadows of Brimstone (a FAR more complicated game) if I want a wild west fix.
Thanks for the rundown. Yeah, I took a look at the cards and I think we'll be ok for the most part. I have read reviews and watched "how-to-play" videos of Shadows of Brimestone and it seems like too much setup for me and the kiddos. Heck, I still have Gloomhaven, Street Masters, and Western Legends if I need something on the more complicated side, so Undead or Alive may fill that "quick game" niche.
User avatar
hentzau
Posts: 14572
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:06 am
Location: Castle Zenda, Ruritania

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by hentzau »

raydude wrote:
baelthazar wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:42 am
raydude wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:20 pm
baelthazar wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:50 pm While I really want this, I need to remember how I owned both the Medieval one and the original and never played either. The gameplay is just a bit too simple for my tastes (Core Space, for example, is just as easy to play and has more going for it).

That said, I do love the theme. I sort of regret selling the Dark Ages one.
I decided to back this as I have never owned a Zombiecide game and I do like the idea of Zombies in the Old West. That said, what do folks who have Zombicide think of the gameplay? Is it something a 9 and 13-year-old would be able to grasp? How's the art in the previous games? Is it over the top? Filled with gore?
IIRC, there isn't a lot of overt gore (other than body parts and bloodstains), but there DOES tend to be a lot of "sexy" scuplts. Even the zombies in the previous editions had thongs showing through their tattered skirts, loads of cleavage, and shapely legs. The survivors are similarly hypersexualized (particularly the women). I looked at this KS and it seems like they are following the dressing conventions of the era, with only one or two (the obligatory Wild West prostitute named Trixie, for example) being scantily clad. This may not be a big deal, but since I don't know your feelings on this and it WAS something the original and Dark Ages were criticized for, I thought I would mention it.

The gameplay loop is pretty simple and would probably be fine for the 9 year old (absolutely for the 13yo). Zombies move towards noise or line of sight PCs. PCs get certain movement points and can take a limited number of actions. Items are clear and usually give bonus die, defense, or better types of attacks (like ranged or area of effect). It's a dice fest. The more zombies you kill, the faster you level up your characters to get some extra bonuses. Usually the scenario has some goal (such as reach an area, find an item, destroy an item, or kill an abomination). Zombie variety isn't particularly great, so you don't have to worry about keeping track of too many stats and things.

Part of why I didn't keep my copies is that I did not find it a compelling solo play game (in comparison to others I have) and you have to play multiple characters (often at least 3-4). It wasn't complex enough to warrant me setting it up and playing. That said, given the remote nature of my work, this new one may be a great "between meetings or turn during downtime" game. Like Hentzau said though, I've got Shadows of Brimstone (a FAR more complicated game) if I want a wild west fix.
Thanks for the rundown. Yeah, I took a look at the cards and I think we'll be ok for the most part. I have read reviews and watched "how-to-play" videos of Shadows of Brimestone and it seems like too much setup for me and the kiddos. Heck, I still have Gloomhaven, Street Masters, and Western Legends if I need something on the more complicated side, so Undead or Alive may fill that "quick game" niche.
I love Western Legends…
"Women are naturally secretive, and they like to do their own secreting." - Sherlock Holmes, A Scandal in Bohemia
User avatar
Anonymous Bosch
Posts: 8907
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:09 pm
Location: Northern California [originally from the UK]

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

raydude wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:53 pm Thanks for the rundown. Yeah, I took a look at the cards and I think we'll be ok for the most part. I have read reviews and watched "how-to-play" videos of Shadows of Brimestone and it seems like too much setup for me and the kiddos. Heck, I still have Gloomhaven, Street Masters, and Western Legends if I need something on the more complicated side, so Undead or Alive may fill that "quick game" niche.
If you're after an enjoyable zombie-themed title to try with kids that plays quickly and is also easy to set up, have you considered Flick 'em Up!: Dead of Winter? It does a surprisingly good job of combining the immensely enjoyable Crokinole-ish dexterity aspects from the original Flick 'em Up along with the narrative of Dead of Winter. It also portrays zombies in a fun and somewhat realistic way, with the zombies in the game being more akin to a force of nature. There's nothing gruesome to worry about in the game's artwork, either. As long as your children are unlikely to be afraid of the idea of the game (summed up below), there's really nothing in the game itself likely to be all that scary:
Boardgamegeek.com wrote:Flick 'em Up!: Dead of Winter pits players against zombies in a dexterity game that has you using tools in various ways to take out the undead while they in turn shamble somewhat randomly in your direction.

Based on the best-selling Dead of Winter, form your group of ten survivors and explore the city with ten scenarios. Shh! The slightest sound will wake the zombies! With the new — and terrifying — zombie tower, you'd better be ready and rearing to go when the zombies attack! Will you be able to flick some zombies?
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -- Daniel Webster
User avatar
raydude
Posts: 3327
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:22 am

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by raydude »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:28 pm
raydude wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:53 pm Thanks for the rundown. Yeah, I took a look at the cards and I think we'll be ok for the most part. I have read reviews and watched "how-to-play" videos of Shadows of Brimestone and it seems like too much setup for me and the kiddos. Heck, I still have Gloomhaven, Street Masters, and Western Legends if I need something on the more complicated side, so Undead or Alive may fill that "quick game" niche.
If you're after an enjoyable zombie-themed title to try with kids that plays quickly and is also easy to set up, have you considered Flick 'em Up!: Dead of Winter? It does a surprisingly good job of combining the immensely enjoyable Crokinole-ish dexterity aspects from the original Flick 'em Up along with the narrative of Dead of Winter. It also portrays zombies in a fun and somewhat realistic way, with the zombies in the game being more akin to a force of nature. There's nothing gruesome to worry about in the game's artwork, either. As long as your children are unlikely to be afraid of the idea of the game (summed up below), there's really nothing in the game itself likely to be all that scary:
Thanks for that recommendation as well. I actually have Flick 'em Up! And the kids enjoyed that quite a bit. I'll keep this one in mind!
User avatar
YellowKing
Posts: 27013
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:02 pm

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by YellowKing »

The Dark Knight Returns game just launched so I immediately backed it. I'm in for the base version; the deluxe minis and case are nice, but for an extra $50 I'd rather just buy an additional game.

Things I like:
- Designed for solo only. I'm always intrigued by games designed specifically for solo play, particularly since that's the way I play my games 90% of the time.
- Theme - I'm a HUGE Batman fan, and The Dark Knight Returns storyline is an all-time classic
- Those custom batarang dice are completely absurd, and I'm a sucker for highly customized dice

Things that scare me:
- I'm not yet sold on the board design. Looks more like a 1950s spy game than a Batman game
- Replayability - it is fun enough to run through the campaign more than once?
- I didn't particularly care for either of the Cryptozoic published games I played (DC Deckbuilding game and Walking Dead: No Sanctuary)

Hoping there are some good stretch goals. I'm still open to backing out depending on seeing some gameplay previews. But for now I'm in.
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 31142
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Blackhawk »

Wheew. I was scared there for a second, as I can't afford a Batman game, but I hate passing one by. But it's based on the Frank Miller book. Great story (although I didn't like the way they told it), but I absolutely despised the artwork in that book. It makes the game much less of a must-have.
________________________________________
The light at the end of the tunnel

Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Tao
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:47 pm

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Tao »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:27 pm The Dark Knight Returns game just launched so I immediately backed it. I'm in for the base version; the deluxe minis and case are nice, but for an extra $50 I'd rather just buy an additional game.

Things I like:
- Designed for solo only. I'm always intrigued by games designed specifically for solo play, particularly since that's the way I play my games 90% of the time.
- Theme - I'm a HUGE Batman fan, and The Dark Knight Returns storyline is an all-time classic
- Those custom batarang dice are completely absurd, and I'm a sucker for highly customized dice

Things that scare me:
- I'm not yet sold on the board design. Looks more like a 1950s spy game than a Batman game
- Replayability - it is fun enough to run through the campaign more than once?
- I didn't particularly care for either of the Cryptozoic published games I played (DC Deckbuilding game and Walking Dead: No Sanctuary)

Hoping there are some good stretch goals. I'm still open to backing out depending on seeing some gameplay previews. But for now I'm in.
This looks interesting but not a fan of the "old man Batman" look and more importantly I already have a Batman game on the way. Batman: The Animated Series Adventures, hoping to have it in hand by summer time.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
User avatar
YellowKing
Posts: 27013
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:02 pm

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by YellowKing »

I've got the retail version of that one pre-ordered Tao. Very much looking forward to it.
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
coopasonic
Posts: 17766
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Dallas-ish

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by coopasonic »

Another new Aeon's End game hit kickstarter today. I am not going to link it because then I'll be tempted to back it. Passing on Aeon's End, Zombicide and Batman is a whole new level of self control for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 44787
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Smoove_B »

This just kinda appeared, eh? Or am not following the Tiny Epic games closely enough?

I'm so far off the map the sun is shining
User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 41782
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:06 pm Another new Aeon's End game hit kickstarter today. I am not going to link it because then I'll be tempted to back it. Passing on Aeon's End, Zombicide and Batman is a whole new level of self control for me.
I honestly feel the same way now. I have Aeon's End fatigue. Something I never expected. But they're just coming so fast with these expansions. I haven't even played all I have from previous campaigns.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic
User avatar
A nonny mouse
Posts: 679
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:38 am

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by A nonny mouse »

I am actually tempted by the Tiny Epic Dungeons, I have Tiny Epic Galaxies, and like the concept. $40 seems like a total deal, but I'm not a big gamer. I would be playing solo, but possibly (?) with others.

I need to get the kid into different types of games - he likes video games and monopoly. I'm tired of playing monopoly. :)
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
User avatar
YellowKing
Posts: 27013
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:02 pm

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by YellowKing »

I watched the One Stop Co-op shop preview of Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. Note that it was just the first Book, so presumably the next three books get increasingly more difficult.

On its surface it's got some elements of Pandemic - running from location to location to clear out bad guys and media so that they don't overrun and cause riots. Loss condition if you run out of time on a doom track, etc.

Combat is pretty simple - roll dice & count the hits/blocks, roll dice for enemy & count the hits/blocks, etc. However there is some card mitigation as well.

Aside from that you have a little bit of Cthulhu: Death May Die going on as you're running around Gotham trying to beat up minions to collect enough clues (which are randomized and hidden) to uncover the boss. Then you go have the big boss showdown.

There are some interesting mechanics with the card randomization of your hand. For each of your four rounds, you draw three cards at random. One has to into the event deck (so its effect will always be bad). The other two you get to keep, though if it's a Fight card it goes into a separate Fight deck that gets drawn whenever you initiate combat. So there's a little bit of deckbuilding in the actual setup which I found kind of intriguing.

Another thing I really liked is the campaign aspect, in that your condition and upgrades will carry over from game to game. There are also bonus objective cards you can complete during your scenario that will earn you permanent upgrades to use in future scenarios.

In general the playthrough didn't necessarily blow me away and make me want to go all-in, nor did it make me want to back out of my base pledge. I'll have to get a few more impressions from previewers to really make up my mind.
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
hentzau
Posts: 14572
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:06 am
Location: Castle Zenda, Ruritania

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by hentzau »

I’m a huge fan of the Tiny Epic line of games. Right now the only duds in the line for me have been Tiny Epic Western, not that it’s a bad game, just that it wasn’t what I was hoping.
"Women are naturally secretive, and they like to do their own secreting." - Sherlock Holmes, A Scandal in Bohemia
User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 14566
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Zarathud »

I would probably rather get a Not Tiny Epic Dungeon, but hepcat will generally buy any Dungeon Crawler faster than I can find out about it.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 41782
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by hepcat »

Did it hours before you posted this.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic
User avatar
$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12574
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: New England...or under your bed

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by $iljanus »

Oh no. I didn’t have an interest in Wild West Zombicide but unfortunately I do like steampunk. Now is it enough to pledge...?

Zombicide: Gears & Guns!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 14566
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Zarathud »

I am getting really annoyed with companies who start their next Kickstarter before the last one arrives. Getting the product scheduled for a ship then hitting me up for more money is annoying.

It’s also forcing my FOMO to acknowledge I haven’t played most of the games that arrived in the last 12 months.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 31142
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Blackhawk »

If it's an established company, I don't mind if the start another one once the previous one is out of their hands (IE - manufacturing is done and the product is enroute to a shipping partner.) But aren't they doing two campaigns at once now?
________________________________________
The light at the end of the tunnel

Black Lives Matter
User avatar
coopasonic
Posts: 17766
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Dallas-ish

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by coopasonic »

Which they are we talking about? Gears & Guns is just an expansion for the game they are currently kickstarting. It is not a separate kickstarter/campaign. They have done base game + expansion for every zombicide kickstarter I remember. Now if they have something else running that's another deal. I don't chase CMON any more so I don't know.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 31142
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah, I saw it was on a different site and thought I was looking at a different project.
________________________________________
The light at the end of the tunnel

Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 14566
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Zarathud »

CMON is terrible these days. Zombicide 2.0 boat just left the port.

But it’s not just them. Tiny Epic Pirates just got off the boat.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
User avatar
raydude
Posts: 3327
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:22 am

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by raydude »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:10 pm CMON is terrible these days. Zombicide 2.0 boat just left the port.

But it’s not just them. Tiny Epic Pirates just got off the boat.
But CMON hasn't had a kickstarted project that failed to deliver the goods right? What's the longest delay on one of their projects?
User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 31142
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Blackhawk »

Man, I'm deeply tempted by both Tiny Epic Dungeons and Zombicide. I probably can't afford either, but definitely couldn't do both. I haven't played a Tiny Epic, but it looks fun, and it looks fast, both of which are high on my list lately. But Zombicide looks right up my alley, and has the big advantage that the components could do double duty for pen-and-paper RPGs - I'm always needing Deadlands (supernatural western with steampunk elements) miniatures. Of course, that assumes I'll ever GM another in-person game again, which is far from assured.

Or I could be smart, act like an adult with self-control, and stop spending money I don't have on stuff I don't actually need. :grund:
________________________________________
The light at the end of the tunnel

Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Tao
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:47 pm

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Tao »

I don't have any of the Tiny Epic games, I was tempted by Pirates when it was in KS and this one looks really good as well. The price is relatively inexpensive (compared to most KS) and they are offering a good amount of content and components. What's holding me back at the moment is the apparent level of difficulty. I've watched a few videos and it appears this is a game where you will lose far more often than you will win, there is one win condition and like 5 different ways to lose. Still debating though.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
User avatar
baelthazar
Posts: 3633
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by baelthazar »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:10 pm CMON is terrible these days. Zombicide 2.0 boat just left the port.

But it’s not just them. Tiny Epic Pirates just got off the boat.
I thought Tiny Epic Pirates was originally slated for a March 2021 release, which makes it on time?

CMON, however, has been a repeat offender for late projects with almost no updates until "Hey we are shipping." I used to back all of their stuff, but after Cthulhu Death May Die I just haven't been interested (I like CDMD, but that was not well managed).

That said, I am super excited about Middara and Tanares, and both were hit hard by COVID. Middara is ready to ship, but missed getting on the boat before Chinese New Year.
User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 44787
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Smoove_B »

baelthazar wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:46 am That said, I am super excited about Middara
I can't remember if you're an original owner or a new backer, but they did stealth release a video yesterday detailing the 1.1 updates to the rules.
I'm so far off the map the sun is shining
User avatar
AWS260
Posts: 11599
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by AWS260 »

Oath has been delayed from January to May. From their updates, it sounds like it's a combination of small delays adding up: extending final development to allow for more playtesting, back-and-forth with the factory on the components and box insert, and the shipping delays that are affecting everyone. No biggie, since I think this one will need regular in-person plays to really shine. Also, at least 3 of my local friends have also ordered it, so I might not even have to break the shrink on my copy.
User avatar
YellowKing
Posts: 27013
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:02 pm

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by YellowKing »

I backed out of THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS.

That butt-ugly board just wasn't doing it for me, and I'm not sold enough on the gameplay to warrant the cost. I decided to toss the money instead to FREEDOM FIVE. FREEDOM FIVE looks like it's doing generally the same gameplay but with much more player agency. Given that I have a chance to bring FF to a group table at some point, and the already announced expansions, it seems like a much safer long-term investment.
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 44787
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Smoove_B »

Coming to Gamefound, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim the Board Game.

Begun, the crowd funding platform wars have.
I'm so far off the map the sun is shining
User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 31142
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm still up in the air on Tiny Epic Dungeons (want, not sure if I can justify the cost), but I'm out on Zombicide: Dead or Alive. I like the content, the game, and the setting, plus I like that I'd be able to use most of the minis in a (potential future) Deadlands pen-and-paper campaign, but I just can't justify the expense right now.
________________________________________
The light at the end of the tunnel

Black Lives Matter
User avatar
YellowKing
Posts: 27013
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:02 pm

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by YellowKing »

I'm sure all the Middara backers got the email, but looks like Wave 1 should be in our hands by April. North America shipments are being picked up March 5th and should be in Indiana for final fulfillment by March 31.
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
AWS260
Posts: 11599
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by AWS260 »

We played the first edition of Caper at SHUX a couple of year ago and really enjoyed it. Almost certainly backing this.

User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 31142
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Blackhawk »

At some point in the past week the Tiny Epic Dungeons comments section turned into the Fox News comments section.

Apparently Gamelyn Games redid the cover art so as to not portray the women as strippers and started a war.
________________________________________
The light at the end of the tunnel

Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Kasey Chang
Posts: 18914
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:20 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just got my "I think therefore I question" cards. It's not a game per see, but it's a good set of questions to ask yourself and your partner to sort of draw out who you or the other really are. I found it interesting. The quality of the card is quite good, and it's a little bigger than I expected. Practically 2x the playing card size.
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: Aven Colony, Everspace, Detective Di
User avatar
Montag
Posts: 2665
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:14 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Montag »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:22 pm I'm sure all the Middara backers got the email, but looks like Wave 1 should be in our hands by April. North America shipments are being picked up March 5th and should be in Indiana for final fulfillment by March 31.
The link shows the ship isn't scheduled to be in China until the 11th. So timing is already borked.
words
Post Reply