Game Materials Storage

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

AlleyCat

Game Materials Storage

Post by AlleyCat »

I have a problem and I would like to hear some suggestions about how to deal with it. I have been buying PC games for years and now my closet is literally filled with game boxes! It's getting to the point that these boxes will fall over when the closet is opened. :)

I keep the cd's in cd racks so they are not a problem. The game manuals I have stacked in a bookshelf. But what about the boxes which might contain the game receipt and other miscellaneous game materials. I hesitate to just throw them away. What do you guys do them? Do you have some sort of filing system or do you just throw them away? I would appreciate any helpful suggestions.
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

I ran into this problem as well. My solution was to take the cardboard inserts out the box and then flatten the boxes. The number of boxes you can store that way increases exponentially and that way you don't lose the box. I was hesitant to do this at first, but in the long run when you start to have a large number of boxes it is entirely worth it (I have hundreds of boxes and it makes a huge difference). Just put a clip around all you receipts and store them separately.

I do the same thing as you as far as storing the cd's and manuals. The cd's are on a separate shelving unit and the manuals are all on a bookshelf.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

I finally had to slap myself in the face and ask, "why do you need these boxes?" I had no good answer, and threw them away.
Then I started using the boxes for spray-paint stencils (I have one shirt that says "Kerry 04 Let the other rich white guy have his turn playing with our lives), for some interesting negative space pigment paintings, and I think soon, for block-printing materials.
I really do wish I still had my Planescape: Torment box, though.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I take out the cardboard, flatten them down, and stick them in a cardboard box. One medium sized UHaul box will hold hundreds of empty boxes that way. Not much space, but I get to keep my toys.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Raug

Post by Raug »

I have all my game boxes stored in large garbage bags in my parent's basement. At the point when I did it I didn't care if they'd survive down there, but I wanted to give them at least a chance. They had to go either way. Unfortunately, I wasn't smart enough at the time to think of simply flattening the boxes and storing them like that. :cry: Someday I'll have to go down there, dig them out, and do that to whatever has survived the humid, mildewy depths.
Ripstar

Post by Ripstar »

I am a collector so I built shelves for all my games. All are stored in the boxes with original materials. Lot easier now that a game is about pocket book size.

The shelves are all wood and create a nice library effect, with averything in easy reach. I have about 400 games, and lots of room for more.

One concession I do make is that all expansions, I pack with the original game. The small flat cd holders replace the large thick ones. This cuts down on space and original game and expansions are all in one place.

Properly laid out shelves can hold alot, in a small space. Just plan it well.
You can run, but you'll just die tired.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I flatten the boxes and keep them. Manuals go on a shelf in alphabetical order (by first letter only, no way I am that dedicated). Any other materials, like quick reference cards or receipts just go in the pages in the manual.

I have a shelf with classic boxes and those old shoe-box type that you can't flatten without destroying.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

My wife didn't let me keep my game boxes. At first I was bummed, but now I don't really miss them. Sort of not.

I mean, they just took up space and we didn't have any place to store them. Then again, that's what she gets for marrying a geek.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

I stored them in this big black plastic bin outside but some guy in a big truck came by one morning and took them all. :cry:
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Biyobi wrote:I stored them in this big black plastic bin outside but some guy in a big truck came by one morning and took them all. :cry:
Same here, except my bin is rather reddish in color. I wonder if it's the same guy taking them, though? :P
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

The small boxes I keep.

I chuck any large box that comes with a game, put the remaining contents in a ziplock baggie, and store the games by genre in lidded plastic boxes you can buy at Target for a few bucks. My collection fits in five boxes, and I can usually find any game within a couple of minutes.
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

I live in a studio apartment. I store them in the trash.
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

slambie

Post by slambie »

I like to keep all my games complete and intact. Luckily I have enough space available to be able to do that. My favorite games that I will always keep sit on bookshelves in the house (we have floor to ceiling shelves in 2 rooms) and the others are stored in boxes out in the garage when I'm done playing with them. They seem to keep pretty well out there since I've had games in storage on both floppies and CDs for over ten years that are still playable.

I've also had a couple of big sales to reduce the volume a little bit.
Ripstar

Post by Ripstar »

I like to keep all my games complete and intact. Luckily I have enough space available to be able to do that. My favorite games that I will always keep sit on bookshelves in the house (we have floor to ceiling shelves in 2 rooms) and the others are stored in boxes out in the garage when I'm done playing with them. They seem to keep pretty well out there since I've had games in storage on both floppies and CDs for over ten years that are still playable.

I've also had a couple of big sales to reduce the volume a little bit.

Thank god someone else keeps everything. :P
You can run, but you'll just die tired.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I used to keep everything. And by everything, I mean what normal people keep. Boxes, manuals, disks, original box materials. Then I realized that this was insane, and threw out everything but the manuals and disks.

Why do people store receipts to games they bought 9 years ago? I don't understand that at all.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
slambie

Post by slambie »

Why do people store receipts to games they bought 9 years ago?
Well I can't say I go that far, but I do keep all the original box materials.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I keep a few, but not many. I still have my Crescent Hawk's Revenge and Wing Commander "shoebox" type boxes. I kept MOO3 for a while, but it recently went to the Green storage bin that gets emptied every week.

CDs go into a rack, and manuals are on a couple of different shelves. I don't keep receipts or non-related inserts.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Too much junk. The rules alone from the PC games alone that I bought take up 4 drawers of a filing cabinet. The jewel cases that I used to save got to the point where they were taking up several dresser drawers, so I got rid of all of them in favor of folders too.

Though, I am a bit different my music. I keep all of those CD neatly in an organized set of CD portioned in size wooden crates. The same goes for movies. I keep all of them down in size for storage, though I getting to where I am pushing 1000 CDs and that is starting to take up real real estate. Books, however take up all of the room, and thankfully the amount of books I own is tiny compared to most friends. I have them layered on three standard $40 7' bookshelves and one 3' bookshelf that goes under a window. Having to layer my books makes it a pain to find them at will. :(