I'm getting weak . . . HELP . . me

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

D.A.Lewis

I'm getting weak . . . HELP . . me

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Due to the lack of new RPGs I'm seriously considering getting Bards Tale. I initially planned on getting the PC version but now I'm thinking with a March 2005 release date, why not get the game now.

There are some neat RPG just around the corner like all those Fallout Clones (Shadow Vault, Restricted Access, The Fall), plus The Roots, ERA, and Dungeon Lords. So getting Bards Tale now will make the field a lot less crowded.

So why not get this console RPG now, sure the PC version will be tons better but I ain't doing no RPGing right now so why not.

Please help me. I feel so weak. So indicisive. Slipping . . . Slipping
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

I always thought you were weak. :wink:
Dhruin

Post by Dhruin »

I say "go for it"...not terribly interested myself but Vampire: Bloodlines is the only other RPG on the near horizon. One of the inXile guys on QT3 said he'd get the console version because it was designed for consoles in the first place. :)

Don't count on the other games you mentioned in the near future...DL just got delayed to 2005, for example. (And yes - I know I'm always coming into your threads and saying something won't come out...it isn't deliberate!
:D )
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

That's okay D, I appreciate your comments

My crystal ball is quite weak when it comes to prognosticating the Road to Gold. So bringing some light to my dark is quite welcome.

When considering Bards Tale, one of the thoughts that came to mind was that this probalby is a console game. But what makes me want to hold out for the pc version is there may be more music, more vocals and better graphics. But there's nothing out right now.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Why not replay a couple of goodies instead? Even if you don't finish, that's OK as the idea is to stay busy until Bard's Tale is available.
You could take the opportunity to try whacky characters that you typically never do; you could take actions that you otherwise wouldn't; you can do all of these things as you have already finished the game and are now purely in fart-around mode.
Do this for a couple of games and you are golden!
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Thanks Jolor but I already did that.

This year I replayed M&M7, Gothic 2, and Gothic even an old adventure game Zork Nemesis. I am considering doing Sacred again but . . . When I play a game I usually explore everything and do any quest that comes my way. My playing times on games is usually twice what the average time takes.

I've done the wacky charater route but I usually only get a few hours of play time before I develop another interest. Like posting here instead of gaming.

So I think this weekend I will get the game. As I said previously there looks to be a long of RPGs coming in early 2005 so why not break the log jam. Besides, my PS2 could use a workout :D
slambie

Post by slambie »

I know the feeling D.A. There's not a lot of RPGs on the near horizon to get excited about. I'm kind of looking forward to Dungeon Lords and have been ocillating between trying EQ2 or World of Warcraft for my first dip into online gaming. In the mean time I have some stuf to fall back on to keep me busy...I'm going to give Enclave a whirl and I also have Spells of Gold yet to play.

Jolor has some good advice about replaying some oldies but goodies. If you've already gone that route, how about trying out some of the mods for NWN. I haven't palyed any of them, but there are supposed to be some pretty good ones out there.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Hey Slam, the latest I read on Dungeon Lord was early 2005.

Apparently they are doing the "we'll release it when its done" bit, which sounds to me like a lot more play testing. I remember Bradly's previous game went through a pattern like this where they looked like they are about to release and then hold back.

The mid horizon (Jan-June) for RPGs looks to be filed. And the far horizon has Elder Scrolls and Gothic which look great but the near term seem almost empty.

Everquest is out for me but I read some interesting comments about WoW. Apparantly you can go the single player route for a significant portion of the game, still I just have an aversion to paying a monthly fee for a game.

BTW, I have Spells of Gold too, but the poor GG reviews and impressions don't have me raring to go. And NWN bored me to tears. I am just so tired of the D&D ruleset.
slambie

Post by slambie »

D.A.Lewis wrote:Hey Slam, the latest I read on Dungeon Lord was early 2005.
Well crap. I should have expected that, though.

I agree with you about NWN, the single player game wasn't anything to shout about but I did manage to get through and actually liked the 2 expansions quite a bit.

During dry RPG periods like this, I usually start looking to imports to see what's out there, but there hasn't been much there in recent months either.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

How about mods for NWN? I mention this because a friend of mine has been playing NWN mods since some time last year.
adumir

Post by adumir »

Hold out for Troika's Vampire: Bloodlines!
It'll be out late November.

You can do it man!
You've never given up on anything in your life, now live, dammit, LIVE!!!
or, unlive, as the case may be..
Christopher
Resident Kieslowski and Jennifer Jason Leigh obsessive
"Obviously, I need more merlot..."
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

What about KOTOR? I don't see that on your list. Very fun Starwarsy RPG.

Grifman
Incendiary Lemon

Post by Incendiary Lemon »

Kult is worth getting. I'll try to put down some impressions tomorrow.
Itsatrap

Re: I'm getting weak . . . HELP . . me

Post by Itsatrap »

D.A.Lewis wrote:Please help me. I feel so weak. So indicisive. Slipping . . . Slipping
Get this man 50cc of Morrowind, stat!

- Alan
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Kult, where??????
GoGamer doesn't have it. Who does?

500cc of Morrowwind!!!!!!
I don't remember where(here or CG), but I put myself on a list to get a DVD load of morrowwind files.

Neither Vampire (1) nor KOTOR (1) was fun gaming for me. Unfortunately, they are not on my radar.

See people, I don't just complain I do try to take care of business. I also broke down and got Bards Tale. I'm glad I did becasue unless they do some massive recoding, I dont see this working on a PC. But damn that game is really really funny. I was even laughing during the character creation part of the game.
JayG

Post by JayG »

I've played both Restricted Area and Kult, and while I didn't like Restricted Area at all (way too repititive,and while all the carnage is nice there really isn't anything to it at all), Kult isn't bad but not exactly classic. I'm just getting fed up with Diablo clone RPGS which don't offer anything new, and Restricted Area really fits that style. I don't have a lot of hope for the Fall either (I know I'm a minority here), But I'm hoping that Golden Land finally gets a English release soon, and Vampire is a first day buy along with HL2.
adumir

Post by adumir »

D.A.Lewis wrote: Neither Vampire (1) nor KOTOR (1) was fun gaming for me. Unfortunately, they are not on my radar.
I can certainly understand if you are simply not interested in the "Vampire" game setting, but if you are basing your disinterest in Bloodlines completely on the actual mechanics/gameplay of the first Vampire game, you may want to at least read this: http://consolegold.com/shorttakes/bloodlines.php preview at Console Gold.

It seems the crepe paper story and hack 'n' slash simplicity of the former has been replaced by deep non-linear game play (almost seems akin to a first person Fallout-ish arrangement.)

I really didn't like the first Vampire but am clammoring for this one!
Christopher
Resident Kieslowski and Jennifer Jason Leigh obsessive
"Obviously, I need more merlot..."
slambie

Post by slambie »

JayG wrote:I've played both Restricted Area and Kult...
English versions? I didn't realize they were even out yet.
JayG

Post by JayG »

Played the German version of RA, and the English version of Kult. I didn't play either for that long, as they were on a mate's computer. (And I had a few beers on me at the time). But neither appealed to me enough to buy. Kult seemed quite fun though, but I prefer Arcanum type RPGs. Or even something like Divine Divinity. And to be honest there is too many great games on the horizon for me to even contemplate buying either.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Where did you get the English verison of Kult???
Incendiary Lemon

Post by Incendiary Lemon »

D.A.Lewis wrote:Where did you get the English verison of Kult???
Those impressions will happen sometime... English version though, the European release was multi-lingual. Insert the disc select your prefered language. I had a friend grab a copy before comming home but there should be a webstore that would ship to the states. But while I enjoyed Kult it may not be worth that effort and cost.
JayG

Post by JayG »

Kult is available here in Switzerland, and I assume that the English version is too ( I didn't get it myself). I wasn't too hot on it, and it is nowhere near as good as Divine Divinity. I almost brought Restricted Area myself 3 weeks ago, but I couldn't find it and got Knights of Honour instead. The only hope I have RPGwise this Winter is Vampire, but next year is looking hot. I haven't had a chance to play the Metalheart demo yet, but first impressions are sounding disappointing. MAybe Goldenland will finally get released.
MeSlayer

Post by MeSlayer »

Hey DA Lewis

maybe this post will help you that i posted over at console gold

-
Okay well I picked it up today, I've been wanting this for a while. Probably about 6 or so hours in.

A quick aside, I rather LIKE the idea of not having to return to town to sell all my assorted crap, why should I ? Its a waste of time - may as well include pee breaks and breakfast if you want realism *shrug*. No inventory in this game, you have 4 different types of melee weapons (1h, 2h, flail (needs a skill before you can use it - pry 2h as well, but i picked that first) and dual wielding), a fist weapon slot, a bow + 2 blank weapon slots (xbow and ??? - a guess there, havent filled those slots) and you have a musicial instrument.

ANYWAYS, thats the inventory system. (bonus points from me, hardcore RPG guys im sure will hate it, *shrug* its an action RPG not a hardcore rpg so im sure they'd dislike it regardless of the mechanics).

Its only 1-player, unlike most of the other DA engine games, but it does allow you (or more exactly forces you, if you dont you will not beat the game) to summon creatures based upon your bardic awesomeness - A few examples are a "Tank" (mmorpg kind of tank) which has a buttloard of health and armor but very little offensive capibility, a little glow light that blinds enemies and lights rooms, and a crone that heals you and your other summoned creatures. Based upon the musical instrument you have you only have slots anywhere from 1-?? (im at 3 max right now) summoned creatures.

So anyways, other than that, gameplay-wise, its more or less a DA engine game. Oh yeah, it has blocking, i only played the baldurs gate DA games so i don't know if the later ones had that.

On to the real meat of the game (for me anyways), the story/humor. Which personally I find highly entertaining. Sometimes the humor feels forced, but listening to The Bard (voiced by carey elwes of Robin Hood:Men In Tights and The Princess' Bride fame) and the Narrator (I have no idea who does his voice, but it is very well done I'd say) argue about just WHY there was treasure inside of a wolf cracked me up.

The game manages to poke fun at many silly RPG conventions, while being entertaining and not at all complicated in the least to play.

Is it worth 50$ ?? Probably not for most people, but I have a soft spot for games that try to bring a little humor in, so its money well spent for me.
-

GL if you do decide to buy it, I'm enjoying it, but it certainly isnt hardcore by any means.

(edit)
also the narrator is Tony Jay who has been a voice in just about everything - i knew i recognized his voice
editx2
Just finished reading the thread, you already bought it heh. Oh well, I'll leave the impressions in case someone else is interested : o
Hello this is a signature.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Thanks MeSlayer

I went ahead and got the game (Bards Tale). And so far I am finding it very very funny. Not hardcore RPGing but there ain't noting else out there.

With all the European RPG coming out it make me wish I had a transporter.

"Scotty, beam me over that Kult game why don't ya"
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The RPG drought has forced a bunch of friends and me into pen-and-paper RPGs over the last two months. And, damn, I am getting way too old for the past 3 am+ dungeon crawls...I need a real life "SAVE" feature!!!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon