soldiers:heroes of WWII or Codename panzers?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Vinda-Lou

soldiers:heroes of WWII or Codename panzers?

Post by Vinda-Lou »

I know they are not exactly the same type of game, but overall which would you recommend? I do get frustrated by Commando type games, but the depth and destruction of SHWII interests me, as does the strategy of Codename Panzers. What to do? Any suggestions?
Orpheo

Post by Orpheo »

They're both Starforce :(

That said, from what I've heard, both are good, but Soldiers is really hard and frustrating. So personally I would go for Codename: Panzers.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Codename Panzers is easy - even I can play it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Soldiers is one of the hardest single player games I've ever had my hands on. It makes a great LAN game, or MP over the internet - but with support from Roger Wilco (or other chat program).

That being said, Soldiers is also an amazing game. The detail is insane and the action isn't totally scripted. Every time you re-do a mission, it's a bit different.

There are demos for both. Give 'em a try. But yeah..Starforce...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

Most of the reviews tend to favour Soldiers. Yeah it has Starforce, but it hasn't had any negative effects on my system and it is one of the best (and most original) games I've played in years so I'm glad I risked it. The world, graphics and gameplay are simply great. I haven't given Panzers a try and I probably won't since Soldiers is all the WW2 action I need.

And I don't think it's that hard of a game. Play on easy and it is just that. You don't have to be tactics master and the difficulty builds at a nice pace.

I highly recommend the game even though it comes with some nasty baggage.
tals

Post by tals »

Don't forget the new MP patch is now available :)

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/ ... adid=52382

Tals
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Soldiers!

(But I've never played Codename.)
Vinda-Lou

Post by Vinda-Lou »

I think I'm leaning towards Soldiers. Mostly because EB has it used for $30 w/ 25% off. I'd like to grab the strat guide too, as I heard this is a tough game and I'm mostly all thumbs in RTS.
tals

Post by tals »

Soldiers is an amazing game. Stuff like the ragdoll physics, the reasonably realistic engine (i.e don't bother using a gun against a tank and different guns have different armour penetration). In the review I saw (PC Zone UK) comparison was given against the explosions in Panzers (which they said was good) and the Explosions in Soldiers (which are amazing) -. From the shot they showed it really didn't show much. Having experienced it I now know what they mean. Shoot a vehicles tyre out and it will tilt down, the terrain deforms and even landslides, virtually everything is deformable or destroyable. This means that missions usually have a number of solutions - I disliked commandoes as it tended to be a single experience, soldiers is not like that.

It is tough - however when you get the hang that you need to use direct control as the main method and your other guys as cover (my experience) it all starts coming together :)

If you can group with friends the coop experience is sublime. Not tried the new patch but hopefully that has sorted the MP aspects of the game (number of modes available and getting together)

Tals
Jag

Post by Jag »

Panzers is fun 'sim light' Tanks have armor ratings and you can use flamethrowers to fry 'em and capture 'em. You can also control the stance of infantry. It also has lots of units. It's not a pure RTS, since there is no resources and your armies experience carries over into the next battle. There is also a pause function for people like me who need time to figure out what to do next and strategize.