Force Feedback Joysticks

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Lee

Force Feedback Joysticks

Post by Lee »

My dad likes to play around with MS Flight Sim and I told he needs to get a good force feedback joystick. What is the best one to get nowadays? The MS Sidewinder seems to have almost disappeared.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
geezer

Post by geezer »

Depends on what he is looking for as far as realism. FF is nice, but the only FF sticks out there now are really arcade-y. If he wants to go a little more accurate I'd recommed the NON FF CH products flight yoke and
throttle quadrant
is_dead

Post by is_dead »

I play FS with a Logitech rumblepad. Before you say it sounds cheesy, I think it works really well.

I dialed the sensitivity back and made a fairly big dead zone, so the lack of precision is counteracted. I have no problem manoevering without sudden or unrealistic control. The left pad is ailerons, and the right pad is rudder. The digital pad conveniently adjusts the view. The buttons function as view change, trim and differential brakes. I don't however use the throttle because I had problems with it, it didn't appropriately cover the 0-100% range so I use the mouse or F buttons.

The best part is the force feedback, reflected in the vibrations. The pad rumbles so appropriately with engine RPM and turbulence or with everyday aircraft movement. I love being able to tell the difference between fighting the plane and guiding it. And when you land, you feel the vibrations of the engine, then as you break, the vibrations slow and it feels like the wheels themselves are slowing.

So, try a pad for only 30 bucks! (Logitech salesman?)
is_dead
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

I don't think the FFB sticks are up to snuff.

If he's into flight sims, he'll need a rudder, which means if you go the CH route, you are buying three seperate (and expensive) pieces.

The best affordable stick on the market right now is the Saitek X45, or if you can find one, the X36. You get a HOTAS and an effective hand rudder (on the throttle). Durable, accurate, lots of buttons and hats.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Kratz wrote:I don't think the FFB sticks are up to snuff.

If he's into flight sims, he'll need a rudder, which means if you go the CH route, you are buying three seperate (and expensive) pieces.

The best affordable stick on the market right now is the Saitek X45, or if you can find one, the X36. You get a HOTAS and an effective hand rudder (on the throttle). Durable, accurate, lots of buttons and hats.
Oh yeh - forgot about those. Definitely a good choice. They have the replacement to the x45 coming out this month I think -- might be worth waiting for.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

X-45 hands down (until the replacement has a few reviews available). I used one for quite a while. It isn't FF, but FF on sticks seems to rule out useful features, at least if intended for realistic flight sims.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)