Warren Spector leavs Eidos, Ion Storm

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

warning

Warren Spector leavs Eidos, Ion Storm

Post by warning »

Wow. Here's the link from GameSpot
After months of rumors that his role was in flux, Warren Spector has decided to leave Ion Storm. British publisher Eidos, which owns Ion Storm, the studio behind the Deus Ex and Thief franchises, confirmed Spector's departure to GameSpot today. “Eidos announces that Warren Spector has relinquished his role as studio director at Ion Storm," said a spokesperson for the publisher.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Woah. Why? I thought this was his "big chance" to make all the games he wanted to make. What gives? Was he sick of management or something, or just dissapointed that his games weren't as well marketed/rushed out the door/largely ignored by the gaming public?

Either way, kind of sad. This is what Ion Storm came to. Wow.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

I'm pretty "meh" with this one.

A part of me is hoping that he moves on to creating a true heir to Deus Ex. DE: IW just felt watered down and crappy. And I just couldn't shake the "Console Port" feeling in it. And Thief 3 was pretty good but it received an alarming amount of anti-buzz. I really hope he goes back to the lab and busts out another gaming classic.

Another part knows that that's probably not going to happen.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

And so end Ion Storm. What a disaster.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

The "Golden Age of PC gaming" is now officially over.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Giles Habibula wrote:The "Golden Age of PC gaming" is now officially over.
What, again?
username

Post by username »

Spector himself will tell you that a lot of what he gets credit for wasn't his doing. His was just the name on the masthead. There's modesty at work in that statement, of course, but also a lot of truth, so relax.