Who'd have know: budget games in... Walgreens?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Kasey Chang

Who'd have know: budget games in... Walgreens?

Post by Kasey Chang »

For those of you don't know, Walgreens is a drugstore chain in California, like Eckerds, or Rite Aid, or etc.

Imagine to my surprise they now carry software! Budget games on CD, $1.99 each. Good for occasional distractions. Don't expect a lot for this price though. All you get is a paper sleeve (in bright colors with descriptions!) and a CD.

On a whim, I picked up 2: Autobahn Total, and Grand Prix Evolution. Both were published by IncaGold way back when. Apparently this "BrightStar" picked them up and repub them at these prices in order to get out more AOL signup kits (each carries the AOL install kit).

Autobahn Total is a joke. It's actually called Autobahn Racing, and this is a piece of junk. Cars don't handle like cars. It crashes quite easily, even on this antiquated system of mine. It's not controllable with the keyboard and too sensitive with a mouse, and sensitivity cannot be adjusted. Max res is limited 640x480, even accelerated, and that is simply horrible. I think I wasted $1.99 on this one.

Grand Prix Evolution, on the other hand, has a bit more depth to it. Basically it's kinda like F-Zero or SLipstream 5000 and that sort of game... The tracks are bland, but the controls are simple enough... And rez can be pumped up to 1024x768. There's even a "championship mode" where you race other teams on 12 different tracks. I may play this one a couple more times.

They have a couple others but those looke really lousy. :roll:
em2nought

check Dollar Tree also

Post by em2nought »

Dollar Tree is carrying some of these games also, but they're only $1.00
Ummagumma

Re: Who'd have know: budget games in... Walgreens?

Post by Ummagumma »

Kasey Chang wrote:It's not controllable with the keyboard and too sensitive with a mouse, and sensitivity cannot be adjusted.
You play racing games with a keyboard and mouse? Weird.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The guy's shopping for his racing games at Walgreens! You think he's going to have some fancy wheel and pedals setup? :P
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The truth is my desk doesn't support a wheel/pedal set.

On the other hand, I drive quite well with joystick and keyboard, as least the games that I've tried.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

You can find these at Staples or OfficeMax too.