Wow or EQ2

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Beergut

Post by Beergut »

The Meal wrote:Alpha posts in a thread comparing multiple titles belong in Gaming in General. Unreleased Games and PC Games by Title are both intended for threads about a single game (at least initially, we don't move threads as conversations wander about).

This thread is being moved to Gaming in General.

~Neal
This seems a little counterintuitive to me. A thread about two unreleased games does not go in the Unreleased Games forum? Why is that? (Sorry if this has been previously explained, but I just feel a lot of good information in this thread is going to be missed by some people)
Bob

Post by Bob »

I was in the beta right up to release. I see absolutely no difference between the final beta I played and the release version. If there was some sort of uber version out there.. it didn't make it into the release copy I play
I'm definitely no expert or insider, but the Kohan II info came from a post by a Timegate employee on Qt3 regarding the beta testers breaking NDA and smearing the game before release.
knob

Post by knob »

The quest thing is just going to come down to personal preference. My personal preference is that I don't like to be handheld through a game. I think it's one reason I got so bored with the quests in WoW. I never felt like I was completing quests on my own, rather I felt like I was following a walkthrough.

I really, really think that the player is to fault for that feeling.

It's faster to grind in WoW, so you're not required to do the quests.

And I never felt like my hand was being held. With my undead warrior, I had quests from Thousand Needles, Barrens, Stranglethorn Veil, Arathi Highlands, and Hillsbrad Foothills. I just travelled, picked up quests as I went, and completed them when I was in the area and felt like doing that quest. I never felt any requirement to get any quest done at a certain time, except for the rare timed quests.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

YellowKing wrote: Travel:

I'm really torn on travel. Part of me did enjoy the adventure of long dangerous journeys in EQ, waiting on the ship, etc. The other part of me really doesn't want to run all the way slam hell across Freeport to get to where I need to go. The zones are bigger now, which makes running across them quite a time investment. I can see where the insta-travel is going to be controversial, and I honestly can't blame either side. I still can't make up my mind on the subject.
You know, I only played EQ for 3-4 months but one of my fondest memories was being led by a high level player across a dangerous part of the world (to get to an easier one for us). It was much fun waiting while he checked out what lied ahead. We would be hiding in a corner knowing if we were aggro'd by a creature we would be dead before he could save us. Good times... :)
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

KiloOhm wrote:
YellowKing wrote: Travel:

I'm really torn on travel. Part of me did enjoy the adventure of long dangerous journeys in EQ, waiting on the ship, etc. The other part of me really doesn't want to run all the way slam hell across Freeport to get to where I need to go. The zones are bigger now, which makes running across them quite a time investment. I can see where the insta-travel is going to be controversial, and I honestly can't blame either side. I still can't make up my mind on the subject.
You know, I only played EQ for 3-4 months but one of my fondest memories was being led by a high level player across a dangerous part of the world (to get to an easier one for us). It was much fun waiting while he checked out what lied ahead. We would be hiding in a corner knowing if we were aggro'd by a creature we would be dead before he could save us. Good times... :)
Same here. That is one of the biggest things I dislike about EQ2. That insta-travel crap is horrible. I wish they had it just like EQ when it came out. It made the game feel bigger and more epic.