Miniature Painting Show-Off Thread

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

miltonite

Re: Miniature Painting Show-Off Thread

Post by miltonite »

Art critic time once again. Help me get better.
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

1 more. This is a warhammer 40k model. It was not playing nice with my paint.

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

How so?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Possibly the release agent applied to the plastic during manufacturing. Soak in soapy water and scrub with a toothbrush.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I cleaned them and primed them but I was still having issues with the paint not coating well. It would streak pretty badly. I think I had to 3 coats on some parts just to have it get coated.

I liked my bones minis that I did not need to prime.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The next questions I would wonder are what kind of primer, and what kind of paint. What you describe could be multiple things, and without seeing the paint going on, it's hard to say what.

Did the paint sink into the cracks and leave the high areas with less? On large surfaces did it seem to 'separate' and roll back from certain areas?

Did it cover, but was just so transparent that you needed many coats to cover the primer?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I was using Reaper paint and Model Master Custom Lacquer System Primer.

It seemed to cover most of the area but was really light (almost transparent) in some areas and in other areas it would just have big globs of paint.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Assuming they weren't really old paints, it sounds like your paints weren't mixed well enough. Get some glass beads large enough to have some mass, but small enough to fit through the mouth of the bottle. Drop a couple in each bottle and shake them for 30 seconds or so before painting.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I will definitely give that a shot. Thanks.