Winter 2007 Chicago OO Boardgame gtg...Heroscape pics

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Winter 2007 Chicago OO Boardgame gtg...Heroscape pics

Post by hentzau »

OK, so I was bored today, and was going through some old pictures on my laptop and came across some pics that I had taken of the setup of the Heroscape game for an OO boardgame night back in January (I believe).

The blank slate: I had a 4X8 table to use for the layout.

The raw materials: Three Master Sets, three Road Sets, three Volcano sets, two Glacier sets, and four Castle sets.

The start of the setup: We were going to have eight players, so I wanted to cover most of the table with terrain, so that we weren't all starting on top of one another. With that in mind, I started bulding in the center, and coming up with a fairly evenly devised layout, trying to avoid giving a terrain advantage to one side or the other. This picture shows the layout about an hour into the process.

The length covered: At this point, I have the length of the table covered. I tried to mirror the layout as best possible, splitting the table right down the middle. I also mirrored the sides with a lava field on one side, and a snow and glacier field on the other, and planning on putting a keep in the center. This is about the two hour mark of setup time. All that remains is filling out the rest of the table with whatver other terrain pieces I had, and then figuring out how to build the keep. Note my assistant, critiquing my work.

The finished table: Completly covered, except for a strip down each side to allow for unit cards, dice and markers. All told, took about 3 hours to set up.

Close up of the lava field.

Close up of the glacier field

Shot of the keep. I put a door on both sides, to not give one side an unfair advantage over the other.

There were random glyphs placed at each of the four corners, behind the ruined walls, and three Glyphs of Brandar on the table, one in the center of the lava field, one in the center of the keep, and one in the glacier field. The scenario as designed was that in order to win the battle, you had to hold all three of the Glyphs at the same time for one full turn. As the scenario actually played out, they really just were content on slaughtering each other.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Shot of the keep. I put a door on both sides, to not give one side an unfair advantage over the other.

Except that the door shown apparently was cursed with an unbreakable strength, which allowed the other team's steeds of minature eating to flank around the lava and ice to decimate us.

The shot taunts me still.

SNOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

On the plus side, that castle made a convenient bowl for chips and guacamole.
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Looks like fun :D
fyedaddy

Post by fyedaddy »

Nice pics! Does the thread title imply there will be a get together this Winter too? Are there any other OO Chicago gtg's aside from Winter?
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" --Melvin Udall
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

fyedaddy wrote:Nice pics! Does the thread title imply there will be a get together this Winter too? Are there any other OO Chicago gtg's aside from Winter?
Hey Fye!

No, we have semi-regular boadgame get togethers. We haven't had one for a few months, because I've been pretty busy with the show I'm doing. We're overdue for one.

We will usually get between four and eight people at a time to game. Everyone is welcome to join in. We will most likely need to start to spin off into multiple games, as our numbers grow. We'll put up a general announcement again the next time we get together.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Re: Winter 2007 Chicago OO Boardgame gtg...Heroscape pics

Post by hentzau »

And the undead thread arises!!!

Was thinking about HeroScape and came across this post today. This game session was the genesis for OctoCon, as I realized that my basement couldn't handle all of those people.

I need to break out the HeroScape again sometime...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I remember your basement soirees with much fondness.

Have you checked out the new Magic: Arena of the Planeswalkers game (soon to be games)? It really is just Heroscape 2015. But with a specific IP attached. I enjoyed my one game of it after picking it up on the cheap. However, it made me want to play more Duel of Ages II after I finished.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:Have you checked out the new Magic: Arena of the Planeswalkers game (soon to be games)? It really is just Heroscape 2015. But with a specific IP attached. I enjoyed my one game of it after picking it up on the cheap. However, it made me want to play more Duel of Ages II after I finished.
Target had it for $25 locally this week. That's cheaper than CSI. There's an expansion due for it soon also (january maybe) with two new planeswalkers and some new creatures.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter