Battlestar Galactica: The Boardgame

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

LordMortis

Re: Battlestar Galactica: The Boardgame

Post by LordMortis »

Jow is 10 minutes north. :D CGMark is out Bob's way on the northeast side. A bit beyond that is Derick, though I think Jow is the only one in touch with him. Killbot is out raven's way as are Easily Satisfied and Nameless but neither of them have been seen in forever. We've had a few more show up for cards or Heroscape once or twice but my crappy fading memory has made me forget who. :oops: :(

We have other theoretical gamers as well but none that I've gamed with. For instance, I think Snoleopard has talked about board gaming but I may just be hallucinating.

As you head west you move in Z Corn's territory though I've only ever seen him come in from the wild for shows.

Now getting people together that's a trick.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Lousy dayjob gamers...
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
DD*

Post by DD* »

I find it interesting that we have so many forum folks from Michigan. I'm up in Macomb Twp, closer to Port Huron than I am to you guys. I grew up in Dearborn, however, so I'm well familiar with that side of town.

Let me know the next time you're gaming, I may be able to fill a seat.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

DD* wrote:I find it interesting that we have so many forum folks from Michigan. I'm up in Macomb Twp, closer to Port Huron than I am to you guys. I grew up in Dearborn, however, so I'm well familiar with that side of town.

Let me know the next time you're gaming, I may be able to fill a seat.
Jason/JMDiller was a Port Huron heavy board gamer as well but he seems to have left these shores and never made it to the west the side as far as I know. We actually have a lot more forum folks from Michigan but not all are from SE Michigan or aren't board gamers to my knowledge. Cheeba used to be in these parts but moved up north Hell's Taco and Quipp are out Jackson ways. Netgamer came in from Flint to Detroit. Crabbs is out Grand Rapids ways. To name a few.

Way back in the day Jow had a few LAN parties that pulled in a dozen GGers and we once had GGGathering in Farmington that probably had close to 20 people show up. Aside from that we've been pretty hard to corral together, rarely getting more than 5 together at a pop... Usually for board gaming.

Edit: Gaming is sporadic lately. Mainly we've been playing in Ypsi south of 94 west of 275 lately and it's just been Remus, Red Run, and I. However, I am sure we could convince Jow or chaosraven to break their silence and come out for BSG sometime. They both love the game.
Jow

Post by Jow »

My last final is Dec 20 and then I'll be Jow, B.S., so for the near future I expect to be able to devote a LOT more time to gaming. Grad school may change that later, but I'll enjoy the extra time while I have it. :)

Have any of the Michigan crew played BsG with Pegasus yet? Seems like every time BSG comes out in any circle I play in we decide to just play the base for simplicity.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

We always use Pegasus, but not Caprica
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... ?eidn=1797" target="_blank

New preview for the Conflicted Loyalties option for the Exodus expansion.

Pretty awesome, and the new Cally character seems pretty powerful.
Quitch

Post by Quitch »

Everything about this expansion thus far has been awesome, I can only hope their new end game will completely remove the nasty taste New Caprica left in my mouth.

BTW, note the change in the number of loyalty cards in 3 and 5 player games.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Yeah, there's more loyalty cards overall. In fact, you can have a game where there is very little cylon presence, just a lot of loyalty card effects.

Of course, one of the downsides is that a lot more things in the game cause executions, so expect to go through characters.

Also, the new execution rules make you draw from the loyalty deck, so no more being sure that someone is human after you execute them, which was a problem for Pegasus with people executing the admiral on the first turn just to make sure he as human.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just a reminder, this is showing up in stores now...at least the online ones. I'll probably grab a copy this week and have it for the next octocon.
He won. Period.
Jow

Post by Jow »

wow, really surprised this is already out. Probably won't grab it for a while since we've hardly even touched Pegasus yet...
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

The ChaosKeneticClan has been testing out almost all the permutations of the Pegasus and Exodus expansions this summer, and kk notes that it makes the game tougher, but not longer (but I don't believe they've tested New Caprica yet).
"Where are you off to?"

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

New Caprica definitely makes the game (significantly) longer. The Cylon leaders don't particularily do (although they do tend to make the game closer). That said, more players will make the game longer in my experience (at least partly cause we tend to get distracted more easily), and the expansion does allow for more players (I havent played the second expansion)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

3rd quarter of this year: Daybreak expansion:
Fantasy Flight Games is pleased to announce Daybreak, an upcoming expansion for Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game! With two supplemental game boards and hundreds of cards and tokens, Daybreak invites players to undertake desperate missions, struggle under the constant threat of mutiny, and bargain with Cylon Leaders driven by motives of their own!

Daybreak introduces twelve new character sheets, thirty new Crisis cards, twenty-five new Skill cards, and much more.
“The Search for Home” is a collection of rules and components that together make up an optional Battlestar Galactica experience. A new endgame plus much more, “The Search for Home” option adds a game board for the Demetrius, the sewage processing ship that becomes the fleet’s best hope of salvation.
Expansion page
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

While I still love this game, the expansion tipover point for me is 1...maybe 2 (if it doesn't add a whole lot of change). I would've preferred that further expansions just be more action cards, characters, etc.. Arkham Horror was ruined for me because of too many damn expansions with new rules.

And yes, I know I could simply just NOT buy the expansions, but I think by now we all realize that there are a few of us on OO that are rabid completionists. :oops:
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A buddy of Mine likes to run Arkham Horror with one extra board expansion and the dea-with-the-devil one for normal games. Every now and again he likes to get a game that has every single thing on the table, but those are rare.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm often tempted to just buy a new copy of Arkham Horror and the Miskatonic expansion (which is almost entirely just cards and characters) and play with those...but that would be a bit wasteful as I own all the others. Right now I've got components from every expansion strewn across multiple boxes and I shudder to think about how long it would take me to separate them out again...then have to do the same thing all over again after another game. :cry:
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Interesting that they appear to include new 'attack cards', which Exodus takes out if you use the full expansion there. So you can't really play with absolutely everything - can't use both the cylon fleet board and the attack cards.

Man, I wish I had more time to play this game. :cry:
Black Lives Matter.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Hate to say it but BSG falls in that category of games I love, but due to number of players, subject matter, and time required I hardly ever get to play. Game of Thrones and Mare Nostrum are the same. I'll always keep them but they're basically just shelf ornamentation at this point.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote:
Man, I wish I had more time to play this game. :cry:
Find a copy of Shadow Hunters from Z-Man games. It gives you a condensed, but still hilariously fun, version of the game in about 1/5th of the time.
He won. Period.
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

That is why I have yet to use the Cylon Fleet Board...I enjoy those attack cards popping up. But maybe the game is "better" with the Fleet Board? We have pretty much only played the base game rules. I have the expansions for it, but we only used just the new characters, plus the Pegasus ship. The Cylon leaders? nope. Cylon Fleet Board? nope. Are we missing something with not playing the game with those?

(Note: I just finished the series the other day....BSG is one of my favorite board games, and the series, from start to ending, in my opinion, was incredible...)
My boardgames for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=90573
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

MythicalMino wrote:That is why I have yet to use the Cylon Fleet Board...I enjoy those attack cards popping up. But maybe the game is "better" with the Fleet Board? We have pretty much only played the base game rules. I have the expansions for it, but we only used just the new characters, plus the Pegasus ship. The Cylon leaders? nope. Cylon Fleet Board? nope. Are we missing something with not playing the game with those?

(Note: I just finished the series the other day....BSG is one of my favorite board games, and the series, from start to ending, in my opinion, was incredible...)
That's how I've played it as well, except that I played with the CFB once on one of Turtle's BSG forum games. I intend to play it in person with the CFB, but god knows when that will actually happen. I did like it in the forum game - the advantage (IMO) is that it adds much more consistency to the pilots role (and makes pilots more important). In the base game you have some games where the fleet gets swamped, and some where the pilots twiddle their thumbs.
Black Lives Matter.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I've been playing with all the expansions in some form. We never play the alternate endgames, but every expansion has actually made the base fleet game better for my group.

First it was Pegasus, the Treachery deck, Cylon Leaders, Agendas, and new characters.

Then in Exodus we got a great new fleet mechanic and much more interesting pilot gameplay.

I'm looking forward to seeing what I can use for the base fleet game.
Jow

Post by Jow »

haven't played this in a long time and it's been an even longer time since we had a really good game due to inexperienced kids being the cylons, etc. Love it, don't get me wrong, but my gaming tastes have been swinging back to the quick-n-dirty for a while now and I don't expect to play it again for a while. Gotta admit, I'm surprised to see yet another expansion... what else is there left to cover?