Racing games on the PC

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Kyosho

Racing games on the PC

Post by Kyosho »

Are there any good ones? Singleplayer specifically. I want something fun I can jump into from time to time when I'm in the mood. Not really into the "sim" end of things, but more the arcade-style actiony kind of driving. For instance, my favorite a few years back was the PC version of Road Rash. I played that a lot. In fact, about two years ago, I downloaded an n64 emulator and played that one version to death as well. It's a pretty good version. But as I said, I played it to death. I need something new. It doesn't have to be RR-like. Just fun in general. It can be cars, motorcycles, whatever. I want fairly decent graphics, but I don't mind going slightly oldschool.

I had Need For Speed Underground installed before I formatted my hard drive, but now I have no urge to reinstall it. Racing games that take place at night? Meh. I liked the car modifying and stuff though. However it was extremely limited.
B Dog

Re: Racing games on the PC

Post by B Dog »

I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm reading awfully good things about GRID.

It's the latest iteration of the Race Driver series and seems to be focused on the things you want--fun arcade racing action. No pit stops, no setup tweaking, no qualifying laps, just racing. Oh, and it's supposed to be purdy.
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

Quite a few of us had fun with FlatOut 2. Pure arcade driving with an emphasis on causing your opponents to crash. The game has a small variety of vehicles, all of which can be upgraded for better performance, etc. It also has 3 basic racing modes, your regular timed laps, demolition derbies and a bunch of mini games where you're required to send your driver flying through the windshield to hit specific targets.

I'd suggest giving the demo a try - Link. It's only $20 to buy on Steam.

To me it sounds like what you're looking for. Fairly basic arcade racing which is fun for short stretches.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

From your description, I would also recommend GRID right now. Did you ever play NFS Porsche Unleashed(if you want real old school, hehe)
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Quipp

Post by Quipp »

I'll toss in another vote for GRID. I've been playing it for the past week or so and it's been a blast.
disarm

Post by disarm »

tjg_marantz wrote:From your description, I would also recommend GRID right now. Did you ever play NFS Porsche Unleashed(if you want real old school, hehe)
i was thinking exactly the same thing...GRID if you want something cutting edge, but NFS:Porsche Unleashed still stands as one of my all-time favorite PC racers. they found the absolute perfect balance between arcade and sim with that game, then threw in fun career and test driver modes to make for an awesomely well-rounded package. i still have it installed on my gaming PC right now 8-)
Kestrel

Post by Kestrel »

I know several people who are addicted to Trackmania Nations now. You can't crash into anyone, but it might take care of some of your need for arcade racing. It's free on Steam and that version has no Starforce copy protection. Can't hurt to try it.

I'll have to look into GRID after hearing so much about it here. I have to agree with those who liked NFS: PU - Great game.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

I'll cast a second vote for TrackMania. It's a fun free arcade style racing game. Get it on Steam and if you enjoy it you can upgrade from Nations to United and unlock more tracks, more vehicle types, etc.

My six year old loves to play it too. :)
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, I only grabbed Track Mania because it was free, and have really enjoyed it. Quick and easy to get into, but I often got sucked into that "one more race" feeling, because it was fun. Can't hurt to try for free. I haven't tried to others so can't comment.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

For pure motorcycle racing, Moto Racer series was pretty good, I think. You can pick up MR3 or MR4 for a song nowadays.

If GRID is a bit high on the budget (usually $40 in stores), there's also WTCC Race '07, which is from the people who brought you Rally Driver, I think, except this time there's a TON more cars, from baby Formulas to WTCC (touring cars) to specials like Caterham 7's. Found it in Jewelcase form for mere $9.99 in Target.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

is GRID playable with only a keyboard and mouse?

I used to love PC Rally games but I bought Codemasters' DiRT recently and found it impossible to control with mouse & keyboard :(
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
Archangel

Post by Archangel »

Another vote for NFS Porsche unleased, great game back then, and it still is today.

I can`t really say anything about the newer titles since my PC is getting old.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

NFS: Porsche Unleashed and Pro Race Driver are my 2 favorite racing games. Probably because they were on the arcade side and I was able to do much better at them.

I'm looking forward to GRID if it is anything like Pro Race Driver.

Ale
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

If you haven't tried out Need For Speed: Most Wanted yet, I'd really suggest it. It's the best NFS game since Porsche Unleashed, and I found the pursuits to be the best in the entire series.
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

Baroquen wrote:Yeah, I only grabbed Track Mania because it was free, and have really enjoyed it. Quick and easy to get into, but I often got sucked into that "one more race" feeling, because it was fun. Can't hurt to try for free. I haven't tried to others so can't comment.
I played the online part of Trackmania for a few days and had a good time, but ultimately it wore a bit thin because of the crappy custom tracks that seem to infect the online game.

Hard is one thing, but some of the custom tracks look like they are designed by ten-year-olds on acid. Come to think of it, that may very well be the case.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Are there any decent Wipeout type racing games on the PC?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i preferred the first FlatOut to the second, and while i may be part of a minority, it's a very vocal one... heh. the second one felt too 'streamlined' and suffered from console-itis.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

With VR gaming coming of age, on-site car racing would be a great fit. Imagine a LAN center with a couple dozen of these:Image
... and a jumbo screen w/camera person switching between all the most exciting angles
... and plenty of pricey "fan" seating behind each driver
... and qualifying heats all week with the big races on weekends
... and betting

None of the racing software currently available is adequate yet, but Project Cars is pretty close.

I predict that someday these racing centers will be as prevalent as movie theatres.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That kind of stuff has been around for years. The goggles are new, but back a decade ago, there were motion simulators for NASCAR stuff in one of the malls here in Dallas.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

My vote for arcade PC racing would be Burnout:Paradise
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember when there were vr pods for Battletech.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"