R&P Contributors and the Games They Play

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Poleaxe

R&P Contributors and the Games They Play

Post by Poleaxe »

I'm curious about the games you guys play. I find that people really don't talk politics in the real world, even with those who are considered friends. Well, we debate politics on a regular basis, and in some ways I think that inspires a certain type of intimacy. Yet we also enjoy annonymity. I would never post a topic such as "what do you do for a living?" because it's the internet and of course some people would lie. OTOH, talking about the games we like is another form of intimacy and should not inspire untruths.

In other words, this is my contribution to a little coming together over the ideological gulf- a "we're really all the same" reminder.

I think SMAC was the best game ever. But my favorite genre is the RPG. I'm ok with turn-based, but real-time is ok also. BG:SoA is my favorite rpg and I hated PST (Iknow, I know).

Some other games that gave me that rush you get when a new purchase turns out to be one of those games that sucks away the hours:
Mafia
Deus Ex
Morrowind
M:TW- I'm saving Rome:TW for a November vacation. My wife will be thrilled 8)
Close Combat 2
System Shock 2
KotOR
Medal of Honor
NWN- wasn't immediately thrilled, but I still play it
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I'm an RPG, Turn-Based strat and sports gamer.

My all-time fave is X-Com, followed closely by Master of Magic and Civ.

Currently playing:

Madden2005 (xBox - the only XBox game I own!)
Civ3
Morrowind
Call of Duty (I like "lite" FPS like CoD or the Allied Assault games)

All of which is just killing time until the World of Warcraft open beta/ release hits. 8)
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

I'm currently playing through Baldur's Gate 2 again and having trouble tearing myself away from it. I'll likely run through Icewind Dale 2 again once I'm done. I also play Civ 3: Conquests and had a great time with Warcraft 3, AOE 2 and Age of Mythology. I'm looking forward to the GTA: San Andreas release next week, and will happily buy console versions if they're the first out.

Oh....my first game was the original Adventure, which I never defeated (never got past a room full of dwarves).
Kadoth Nodens

Post by Kadoth Nodens »

Strat & RPGs for me.

Age of Wonders series
Med. & Rome: TW
City of Heroes
The Infinity Engine games
SMAC & Civ.
Warcraft 2 & Star Craft were favorites back in the day.
Mechwarrior: Mercs was my first online game, played it while I was in college. My friends would ridicule me when I went to go train with my clan. This was particularly humiliating, since they were all pen and paper RPG and/or Magic the Gathering dorks.

When I was a kid, we didn't have the moolah for a comp, so I used to walk to another town (5 miles! uphill both ways! :wink: ) to bug my friend into letting me play the old D&D games on his Commadore 64.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I've been a games whore since the days of the Commodore 64. I'm always looking for something innovative and fun. All-time PC favorites include:

Space Sim: FreeSpace 2 (the all-time favorite)
Action Sim: MechWarrior (I used to play on the battlepods)
Isometric Action: Syndicate (glory to the Persuadertron)
Builder: Dungeon Keeper 2/Ceasar 2
RTS: Warcraft 2/Rise of Nations
Turn-based: X-Com 2/Archon (old-school)
Conquest: Rome:Total War/Dominions 2 (love the idea of, but can't finish Europa Universalis 2)
World Conquest: Civ/MOO (could never get into SMAC)
Shooter: Half-Life/Jedi Knight (currently completely bored with this genre)
RPG: Baldur's Gate 2 (currently slowly working on NWN, waiting for some old school)
Online: Magic the Gathering/City of Heroes (slowly)

About the only game genres I don't play are flight sims (space is better!), car racing, adventure and sports games.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Unbreakable

Post by Unbreakable »

my favorites are generally RPGs, and Im also a big fan of FPS. As for genre, Im all over the place, and I even like the occasional console game (again, I prefer RPGs).
Gizah

Post by Gizah »

I tend to play shooters and turn-based squad level strategy games (like X-Com and Silent Storm). I guess that explains why I don't own a console :)

Good thread, Poleaxe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I tend to have really broad interests in everything, from music to movies to books to games.

So as far as games go, I like most anything. If you had to pin me down on favorite genres, however, it would definitely be MMORPGs, RPGs, and shooters.

Favorite RPG of all time: Might & Magic 4&5 (World of Xeen)

Favorite FPS of all time: Half-Life (hopefully soon to be replaced by HL2)

Favorite MMORPG of all time: EverQuest

Favorite RTS of all time: WarCraft 2

Favorite TBS of all time: Heroes of Might & Magic 3

Favorite Sports title of all time: Tiger Woods PGA Tour (any)

Gaming History:

My video game obsession started back when my uncle would pick me up so I could watch people play Space Invaders at the boardwalk arcade down at the beach circa 1979 at the age of 4. I went to a friend's house one day in the early 80's and he had just got an Atari 2600. I wanted one SO bad, and begged my mom for one. However, we were really poor at the time so that was an extravagance really beyond our means.

Christmas time rolled around, and what did I find under the tree by a brand new Atari 2600. Thinking back I can't comprehend how much my mom had to sacrifice to get that for me. I played the hell out of that thing, eventually accumulating a collection of 50+ games for it.

Of course then Nintendo came along in 1985, and I got one of those for Christmas too. I went to Super Nintendo, almost bought a TurboGrafx, but settled for a Sega Genesis. I traded in a lot of games on impulse for the ill-fated Sega CD (my worst gaming blunder ever). Then it was on to Nintendo 64, then Playstation, then finally Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube. There were a couple of Gameboys sprinkled in there for good measure.

On the PC side I bought my first computer with my own money saved from bagging groceries. It was a 386/16 Gateway with an incredible 2MB of RAM and a 40MB hard drive. The first PC game I ever bought was Ultima: Savage Empires, but one of the floppies was bad and it wouldn't play. I took it back to the store and traded it for the classic LucasArts adventure Loom. (Ever since the Savage Empire incident, every computer I've ever owned has been named some variation of Savage - my current machine is called the SavageDell).

You might say my interest in gaming led directly to my career. By having to buy my own computers I learned how to build my own machines on the cheap, how to swap out parts, how to upgrade. This led directly into my interest in the computer science field, and that degree landed me my job as an IT guy. I think it's funny that today I'm still taking apart machines and swapping parts around just like I did all those years ago - just now I'm getting paid for it.

I thought my interest in gaming might wane as I grew older, but in fact it has been the exact opposite. I'm more interested in games now at the age of (nearly) 30 then I was when I was 15. That doesn't necessarily make my wife too happy, but hopefully it serves to keep me young at heart. :D
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

Good topic.

I'm currently playing
  • ESPN NFL2K5 [Xbox]
  • Burnout 3 [Xbox]
  • Men of Valor [Xbox]
  • Rome Total War [PC]
  • Counter Strike: Source [PC]

My favorite games of all time:

• Unreal Tournament [PC]
  • Half Life & Mods
  • Worms (WA & WWP)
  • Secret of Mana [SNES]
  • NFL2K, with ESPN being at the top [DC & Xbox]
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

I play a lot of sports games, and I love action-adventure games with a good storyline like Mafia. Favorite game of all-time? Even though I rarely play strategy games, Heroes of Might & Magic 2 sucked away many months of my life.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm in a Civ3 rut since the Rise & Rule mod came out.

I play primarily TBS games, with some citybuilders, business sims and even the occasional RPG thrown in for variety. Eventually, though, I always come back to Civ. In its various incarnations, it has long been my favorite game.

The only games I strongly dislike are sports, FPS and RTS -- anything that's about adrenaline and reflexes. I play for cerebral stimulation and for relaxation.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Like any good whore, I'll play just about anything.

CRPGs are my favorite genre, although I tend to play them the least because of time constraints.

I've played IWD, IWD:HoW, IWD2 through to the end, but we did that co-op (tremendous fun, although it did get somewhat repetitive towards the end of IWD2). I finished Dungeon Siege (am taking a break before I do the expansion). I loved the BG series, I have BG, BG:TotSC, and BGII, but I'm still stuck somewhere in the original BG.

Other RPG titles in the queue are P:T, V:TM - Redemption, Arx Fatalis, ToEE, Fallout, Fallout2, Deus Ex, NWN, and Morrowind. I've played all of them a little, but haven't committed to one to complete yet.

Because of my time considerations, I generally prefer games that I can start and stop without having to remember anything in between. That leaves me with sports titles (I play ESPN NFL 2k5, Tiger Woods 2004, and NHL 2004 on my XBox), or RTS games that I can play in skirmish mode (Homeworld, Rise of Nations, Total Annihilation).

Every once in a while I get motivated to play what should be my favorite genre - world domination. I have CivIII and SMAC that I alternate between. Those are good times.

For multiplayer, I'm an FPS whore. I hated the SP Half-Life game (I know, I know), but played the crap out of it in MP (and of course Counter-Strike and Team Fortress). Of late, Battlefield 1942 (and Desert Combat) have dominated, with some Battlefield: Vietnam being thrown into the mix. In a couple of weeks, it seems that we will be throwing HL2 and SW: Battlefront into the multiplayer hopper. One note here, I only play MP at LAN parties, I hate playing online.

Oh - and then there's the flight sims. Well, it's really just one. IL-2 Sturmovik and it's various expansions. Big fun.

And lastly, I'm a retro gaming whore too. Lemmings, M.U.L.E., Bruce Lee, Impossible Mission, Raid over Moscow, Defender of the Crown and any others that I can get working in various emulators.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I've been playing games since my parents picked up an Apple II+ back in '79. I've always been a purist - no consoles for me.

Old school favorites:

Choplifter
Crush Crumble and Chomp
Ultima 1-7
Swashbuckler
Archon
Starflight
Wizardry

More recently, I mostly find myself playing MMORPGs, Strategy/World Dominion games and FPSs.

XCom - still
MOO - still
Civ 3 Conquest
City of Heroes
Rome: Total War
Doom 3 on occasion
Waiting eagerly for HL2
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Currently, I'm playing:
  • Rome: Total War
    Silent Storm
    Combat Mission 2
On my horizon I have
  • Pacific Fighters
    Silent Storm: Sentinals
    Warhammer:DoW
    Evil Genius[/i]
My favorite games are
  • Operation Flashpoint
    Jagged Alliance 2
    Crush! Deluxe
    Planescape: Torment
    Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe
    Civ 2
    Alpha Centauri
geezer

Post by geezer »

Lots of simulations. Currently (And for the past few years) I've been playing the IL-2 series. I also like a good driving game. Other stuff I've been playing lately includes:

Thief 3
MSFS 2004
Battlefield Vietnam
MAdden 2005 (Xbox live - I suck at it though)

I'm figuring PAcific Fighters will pretty much do me in when it comes out, so I'd love to finish Thief 3 before next week.
The Meal

Re: R&P Contributors and the Games They Play

Post by The Meal »

Poleaxe wrote:In other words, this is my contribution to a little coming together over the ideological gulf- a "we're really all the same" reminder.
And why couldn't this thread be had in one of the, you know, gaming forums?

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

I think this thread should stay here. A lot of the R&Pers don't really head to the gaming forums THAT often. Plus I think it's good tonic. If we had this thread in the GG R&P Toilet there might not have been that much shit flying around.

That said, I play all types, but I usually gravitate to Co-op games (of any genre), and really strategic affairs, RTS and TBS

Dawn of War, Kohan II, WCIII. They add a real good shot of urgency into my strategy, which I really like.

TBS wise it's all CivIII and Dominions II. Silent Storm was fun but those long AI turns killed me. Plus I've lost paitence for the rumored X-com mod.

FPS wise I liked Ghost Recon, Ut2k4... dang I think that's all I have. I used to have battlefield but I got tired of playing on garbage servers. I took a good long hard look at Joint Ops, but I think I'll wait for a Gold Edition if at all.

RPG wise- NWN, Infinity Engine, Morrowind, KOTOR.

Basically, if the game has any kind of unit or avatar customization, I'm so there.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm a liberal wargamer.Go figure.Image
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

SuperHiro wrote:I think this thread should stay here. A lot of the R&Pers don't really head to the gaming forums THAT often. Plus I think it's good tonic. If we had this thread in the GG R&P Toilet there might not have been that much shit flying around.
It fractures the www.octopusoverlords.com community into R&Pers and non-R&Pers. If you want folks who you enjoy discussing R&P topics to talk about the games they play, why not invite them to that discussion taking place in the appropriately placed forum? Why segregate part of the community? Why should the gamers curious about SuperHiro's or Poleaxe's gaming preferences have to find out about them in the R&P forum?

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

I forgot to mention that I'm playing and LOVING Joint Operations.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Egads, I forgot to mention my favorite games, which happened to not be in any of the genres I talked about. :)

Rainbow Six (and derivatives) are hands down my favorite game(s) of all time. I also really enjoyed Operation Flashpoint. Squad/Team-based shooters are also my style. :)

Edit: I'm going to go out on a limb and....AGREE....with TheMeal. It would be far better for the overall atmosphere in here if we encouraged R&P'ers to frequent the other forums more...frequently. Much better than secretly talking about our gaming habits in the back room. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I think this thread should stay here.
No, it's a gaming topic, and gaming topics go elsewhere. This one in particular to Gaming in General.

It's a a click, flick of the mousehweel, click away.
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

For the record, I wasn't trying to fracture the community, I was just lightening the mood a little.
If you want folks who you enjoy discussing R&P topics to talk about the games they play, why not invite them to that discussion taking place in the appropriately placed forum?
Would my thread title be something like this? R&P Contributors and the Games They Play (if you don't have R&P cred, don't bother posting) :P

Hey, in a way this post was about R&P contributors rather than specific gaming. Maybe it should go in the meta forum. Wait, maybe we need a new forum named metacontributors where we discuss each other.

Ah well, election in a couple weeks and then the shit is really gonna hit the fan so my little post wouldn't have made much difference anyway.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'll play almost anything, but don't have the time to.

Right now I'm working through BG using the BG2Tutu to play BG using the BG2 engine. Wanted to play BG with a monk. Then I'll play through BG2 again. Should be a good time. I'm also in the middle of Planescape: Torment again. I also play Joint Ops and R:TW quite a bit.

I've got a long list of games to play. I've got Paper Mario, Fable, Divine Divinity, Gothic 2 to play still.

I also am a big fan of flight simulators and sports games. The only games I absolutely will not play are MMORPG.
Kschang77

You actually want to know about me?

Post by Kschang77 »

I'm a middle-conservative Republican, kinda like Arnie. I have no problem with gay marriage or stem cell research, and I like big militaries. :D

Any way, my tastes are varied, except one thing, I don't do fantasy. I don't play RPG's much. Closest I got is Diablo (never got into D2) and Dungeon Siege. Can't see to get into the mood of it.

I play just about anything, from Wing Commander / Freespace (space sims) to Falcon 4 / F-22 Lightning III (hardcore or easy flight sims), from Age of Empires and Warcraft (RTS) to Hostile Waters and Star Trek New Worlds (alternative RTS), from Driver / Rally Masters (car arcade/sims) to XCOM / MOO1/2 (strategy / tactical), I even play Elite Force/Renegade (FPS) and The Fallen (3rd person adventure/shooters) and just about everythng in between.

I prefer slow-methodical approach to games. So pure adrenaline games like Quake 3 / Unreal Tournament is not for me. I also don't like games that are simply too hard or ridiculously long.

Oh, and I tend to write FAQs for them.

I don't know what my games say about my political / religious views... Probably "unclassifiable". :D
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

What? R&P posters play computer games? Aren't R&P posters supposed to be the bad gonegolders that don't care about gaming and just hang around R&P forum to bitch about politics and religion?

---

Now as for games this R&P troll play:

Any kind, I play CRPG, FPS, RTS, TBS, Action, Adventure, Sport, etc.

I prefer games that don't require great reflex and hand-eye coordination.
Spike

Post by Spike »

I'll play anything, me.

Recently: Thief 3, Hidden & Dangerous 2 (again), Silent Storm, SimGolf, The Guild, UFO Aftermath, BF1942, Star Wars Battlewotsit, World Of Warcraft beta, Sacrifice (again), NOLF (again), Red Baron 3D, Colin Macrae Rally 4.

Currently: Sims 2 almost exclusively, Rome: Total War (waiting for install), Evil Genius (waiting for install)

All-time best: X-Com, probably.

I like God-games mostly, but in most genres (strategic, life simulation, tactical, RTS, RPG...).
"The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote." - Kosh
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Poleaxe, just wanted to applaud you on a good idea. While it's fun to debate (and very easy to get deeply involved in such), I'm guilty of often forgetting what brought me here in the first place. And you're right -- with the election fast approaching, things are only likely to become more divided, especially if the election devolves into the legalistic mess that some are predicting.

That being said -- games that I loved to play:

Silent Storm, Rome: Total War, Master of Orion 2, X-Com, Civ 2, Deux Ex, Half-Life (one of the few games that ever inspired the "they want me to do what???" feeling, over and over again), SMAC, Baldur's Gate (the only magic RPG I could ever get into), Starcraft, Wing Commander:Prophecy, Choplifter (completely forgot that one, thanks to whoever mentioned it upthread), the old Front Page Sports Football series.

All-time Favorites have to be: Wasteland, Jagged Alliance 2, Close Combat 2.
Currently playing: Hearts of Iron, Madden 2005 (PS2)

I'm a bit of a historical buff (fascinated by World War 2), so I love gaming out alternative history scenarios. I guess I'm more of a strategy gamer, since FPS give me blinding headaches after about an hour.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

It's been so many years since I've been able to play games that I want to play that I wouldn't know where my true preferences would lie today otherwise. I suspect I'd still be playing RTW, but I'm unsure about anything else.
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

Victoria Raverna wrote:What? R&P posters play computer games? Aren't R&P posters supposed to be the bad gonegolders that don't care about gaming and just hang around R&P forum to bitch about politics and religion?
You have to have something to blow off the steam after arguing that stuff :D

Star Wars games... Jedi Academy, KOTOR, SW Battlefront. I still play X-Wing Alliance in LAN/skirmish mode.
Call of Duty, Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam
Rome: TW
Dark Age of Camelot

Console games:
Shadow Hearts: Covenant (my favorite game this year so far)
X-Men Legends
Fable
NHL2k5

... I play a little bit of everything, always like to try new stuff. I have more games than time these days though :?
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

The only thing that has held my attention for long periods of time is Out of the Park.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

While all of you guys have crappy politics ;), I applaud your choice of a hobby.
Gebeker

Post by Gebeker »

By far, my favorite genre is the RPG. Specifically, though, I want a traditional fantasy setting. I find that I usually just can't get into an RPG if it doesn't have that setting.

I'm also a big fan of adventure games.

I also play a lot of FPS, although I think my interest in that genre has been gradually waning over the years.

Basically, though, I play a little bit of everything, from an occasional flight sim to the Sims 2, to sports games, to RTS, whatever.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ok, 'bout time I chip in here. I love strategy (not RTS though) and RPGS (but not fantasy RPGs). Here are my all time top fiften or so games:

Civ 1/2/3
Master of Orion 1
Fallout 1/2
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Jagged Alliance 2
Total War Series (Shogun, Medieval, Rome)
KOTOR
Steel Panthers
Imperialism II
Spellcross
XCom
Alpha Centauri
Fallout: Tactics
People's General

Grifman