[POLL] Help me choose a new Croknole board!

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Which board should I buy?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:03 pm

The "Eagle" Tournament - Red Ditch
25%
The "Eagle" Tournament - Green Ditch
No votes
The "Eagle" Walnut Sunburst, Tournament
50%
"The Executive" Walnut Sunburst Octagonal
25%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 8

hentzau

[POLL] Help me choose a new Croknole board!

Post by hentzau »

I have become obsessed with Crokinole ever since I was introduced to it by Kristie at the last Octocon. Now that my tax return has arrived, I am now ready to pull the trigger on buying my own board. I've narrowed my choices down to four boards, pictured below.

The "Eagle" Tournament - Red Ditch

The "Eagle" Tournament - Green Ditch

The "Eagle" Walnut Sunburst, Tournament

"The Executive" Walnut Sunburst Octagonal

Other boards can be found here, so if you see another one you like, use the other option to let me know.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Jaymon

Re: [POLL] Help me choose a new Croknole board!

Post by Jaymon »

Knowing nothing about the game, I can only offer my opinion on asthetics.

I like eagle tournament red ditch the best.

the executive looks dull and sterile
eagle walnut sunbust looks pink, which would invalidate your mancard
the green just had a cheap look, thats not a natural color for wood,

the red is professional looking, has a distictive color so it doesn't blend into the suroundings.
red is a good color for competitive games. the round edge fits smoothly with the round playing surface
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Crokinole rocks. I have a great board that my dad (who is huge into woodworking) made for me out of cherry and walnut. Anytime we have folks over to play they can't get enough.

I'd eliminate the bottom one ("Executive") right off because of the outer fence shape. At some point, you're going to have to make a shot where your hand/wrist is resting right on one of those sharp corners, and you're not going to like it. The rounded fence is consistent all the way around and will be more comfortable.

That said, I prefer the radial look of the Walnut Sunburst one myself.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Well, I finally placed my order today. After much hemming and hawing and days, nay weeks of internal debate, I ordered the Executive. I had a lengthy discussion on the phone with with the proprietor of Mr. Crokinole, Wayne Kelly, and we disucssed the pros and cons of each of the boards I was interested in. Finally, I decided on the Executive over the Sunburst because I plan on hanging in in my living room when not using it, and the neutral tones will work much better in my room than the other colors.

Delivery will be sometime in mid-July, because this sucker is being built by hand. I can't wait!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Forgive the rudeness of my ignorance, but from looking at the website this looks to be a $400 board game where you take turns trying to flick chips into a hole. Is this basically a sort of circular table version of bocce ball or shuffleboard, or is there something more to it?
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I missed this the first time around but GOOD CHOICE!

Those boards are octogonal, end of story! hehe
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

wonderpug wrote:Forgive the rudeness of my ignorance, but from looking at the website this looks to be a $400 board game where you take turns trying to flick chips into a hole. Is this basically a sort of circular table version of bocce ball or shuffleboard, or is there something more to it?
It is pretty much as you described, a circular version of shuffleboard, where you flick pucks at the center hole, and score based on which region your pucks land in. The rules are a bit more complex than that, of course, but it really is a hell of a lot of fun to play.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

I used to play this growing up when I visited my grandparents!

Must..... resist....
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

xwraith wrote:I used to play this growing up when I visited my grandparents!

Must..... resist....
They have some cheaper boards in the manufacturer's seconds section of his site. But I figured in for a penny, in for $400.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Don't miss the upcoming World Crokinole Championship™. You could win up to C$1000! :D

http://www.crokinole.com/wcc.asp" target="_blank

I played Crokinole when I was a kid until my fingernails were black and blue. Good times.

This was our board:
Last edited by Moat_Man on Wed May 27, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I'm starting to feel like I absolutely must find someplace to try this game before the end of the year.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I don't get it. How do the darts stick into walnut? You have to throw pretty hard I guess.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Moat_Man wrote:Don't miss the upcoming World Crokinole Championship™. You could up to C$1000! :D

http://www.crokinole.com/wcc.asp" target="_blank

I played Crokinole when I was a kid until my fingernails were black and blue. Good times.
Dammit,I'm going to be in Dallas! Oh well, there is always next year!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

How you play.

Lawbeef, please watch, so I don't come home from the next Octocon with my $400 board filled with holes.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

wonderpug wrote:I'm starting to feel like I absolutely must find someplace to try this game before the end of the year.
Just get Sorry Sliders and think of it as the gateway game for Crokinole.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Speaking of which I just picked up Sorry Sliders. I think Hasbro recently printed another batch of them because they were pretty hard to find up until recently. Anyway, I bought it for the express purpose of being a gateway into Crokinole, to see if I'd enjoy these kind of games. Turns out that I do, now I'm looking for an affordable board.

Anyone know regular walk in places that might have them, or do I basically have to order online?

Is that video above considered standard crokinole? Are there variants or other games to play with the same board?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Well, I'm not a crokinole expert, having only played a couple of times, but besides that version there is a four player version that plays in teams. There may be variants, but how they played in the video is how Kristie and thatsteveguy taught me.

And I don't know about finding the game locally other than finding a board in an antique or thrift shop. I know that Kristie picked up a board off of ebay for real cheap, and thatsteveguy found a multiuse Carrom board in a garage sale. But that may be more work than you want to go through.

Here's an inexpensive starter Carrom set that includes crokinole. I don't think I would like the hollow pucks though. I like the weight of the solid wooden pucks.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

OK, I think I'm going a bit overboard now. I found a place in Canada where I can buy a hand-made board for under $75 shipped. And I can get it right away.

And I'm thinking about buying it, despite the fact that I have a $400 board coming sometime in July.

I need an intervention...
Kristie

Post by Kristie »

You have a problem? thatsteveguy's dad has built two, I've bought two on ebay, and as you said, thatsteveguy picked up a carrom/crokinole board at a yard sale for $1. We're planning to have some fun with them at family reunions, scout camp, and the like. We've yet to introduce the game to someone who hated it, and the best part is that everyone can play. Frequently there are lines to play next, hence the multiple boards. Actually, I had planned to give one to Hentzau as a thank you gift, but after being cleaned up a bit, it was too pretty to part with.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Kristie wrote:You have a problem? thatsteveguy's dad has built two, I've bought two on ebay, and as you said, thatsteveguy picked up a carrom/crokinole board at a yard sale for $1. We're planning to have some fun with them at family reunions, scout camp, and the like. We've yet to introduce the game to someone who hated it, and the best part is that everyone can play. Frequently there are lines to play next, hence the multiple boards. Actually, I had planned to give one to Hentzau as a thank you gift, but after being cleaned up a bit, it was too pretty to part with.
Aw man! I wuz robbed! :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Saw the thread title and thought "leave the gun and take the Croknole"
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

And...today I ordered the board from Toad Hall Toys. $75 US shipped. They shipped it out today, so in about 5 days I should have pictures available of the board, along with impressions, etc.

I'm justifying this one as my practice/family board. :mrgreen:
Kristie

Post by Kristie »

I also recently bought another board. You trying to keep up, or just going for different playing surfaces to practice on before the next con?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Kristie wrote:I also recently bought another board. You trying to keep up, or just going for different playing surfaces to practice on before the next con?
Mostly I was in Veruca Salt mode..."Don't care how, I want it NOW!"

But it hasn't shown up yet. Probably stuck in customs...
Kristie

Post by Kristie »

hentzau wrote:
But it hasn't shown up yet. Probably stuck in customs...
Mine hasn't shown up yet either. Maybe our boards are partying in customs together. Luckily I have several other boards to practice on while I wait. :D
Kristie

Post by Kristie »

You'd better hope your practice board shows up soon. I spent a bit of time practicing the perfect 20 shot this weekend. You could be in trouble for the rematch in the fall. :D
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Kristie wrote:You'd better hope your practice board shows up soon. I spent a bit of time practicing the perfect 20 shot this weekend. You could be in trouble for the rematch in the fall. :D
Don't try and frighten me with your sorcerorous ways...
Kristie

Post by Kristie »

hentzau wrote:Don't try and frighten me with your sorcerorous ways...
How about frightening you with my board that just arrived today? A new surface to play on! Interesting, the pucks don't fly as fast on this one.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Kristie wrote:
How about frightening you with my board that just arrived today? A new surface to play on! Interesting, the pucks don't fly as fast on this one.
And I just heard from my wife that my board showed up today. Apparently they were canoodling in customs...
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

OK. New board was unpacked, and several games were played. Here's my review:

Solid board, nice construction. Hexagonal board frame, natural wood tones, no stain. The frame and ditch appear to be made of pine. The playing surface birch. I am unsure if it is a solid piece of birch or a birch laminate, but it has a nice natural wood grain.

The playing grid is silkscreened onto the playing surface, including scoring numbers in the quadrants. I would have preferred to not have the numbers on the surface, because it takes away from the esthetic (IMO). And it's not like there are tons of numbers to keep track of. If you run your hands over the surface, you can feel little divots where the board was tacked/stapled/fastened to the frame. These are all along the outer rim, and under the outermost circle, so they will not effect puck travel, and because they are under the ring marking, it doesn't show up just by looking at the board. A minor annoyance.

The pegs are all screws that have a plastic/rubber/latex sheath around them. This sheath makes the pegs very bouncy. If I look at the board, one of the pegs is not completely vertical, it leans just a bit. I've thought about taking it out and trying to straighten it, but I'm afraid of loosening up the peg, or getting it even more crooked. So it will just have to lean a bit.

Surface speed is pretty good. Having only played on one other board, I would call it comparable to that board. Came with a set of solid wooden pucks, 12 per player, colored black and wood tone. Would have been nice to have a couple of extras in the set, since I know my kids will most likely end up losing them. They're kids, you know.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this board. It was purchased from Toad Hall Toys. Not much to see on their website, only an e-mail address and phone number. Apparently the boards are made by special needs workers, which is kind of cool. Nice little sticker on the back saying where it came from, and a sticky note saying the person's name that worked on the board (I'm assuming. It just had a name on it.) If you are looking for an entry-level board to try out crokinole, you can't go wrong with this one.

As a starting board, I'm going to give it six out of eight tenticles, taking off 2 for the numbers on the board and the slightly crooked peg.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

hentzau wrote:
Kristie wrote:
And I just heard from my wife that my board showed up today. Apparently they were canoodling in customs...
And now you know why that peg is slightly crooked. Foiled again!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kristie

Post by Kristie »

Zarathud wrote:
hentzau wrote:
Kristie wrote:
And now you know why that peg is slightly crooked. Foiled again!
My board kicked his board's ass during the customs canoodling session! Just wait till he gets his next board. :twisted:
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

A minor addendum to the review...after playing with Thing #3 last night, I noticed a scratch on our dining room table. The wood is kind of rough and unfinished where the pices are joined in the frame, so I am sure that is where it came from. Nothing that a couple of stick-on felt pads can't fix. Take off a half tentacle for what will surely be the berating I will get from my wife when she sees it.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Forgot to update this. I got my new executive board it, and it is verra nice. Very fast compared to my bargain board, and LOADS of action off of the posts. I've only been able to play about 4 games on it, but I haven't played against a serious player, just my wife (who defines the attitude "Yeah, whatever, I'm just doing this to humor you.")

I have introduced several OOers to crokinole over the past couple of months, and it appears to be a hit. It was quite amusing a few weeks ago watching a quite, um, "relaxed" hepcat attempt to play crokinole.

I brought my board up to Madison to show my friends who run Pegasus Games. They had been very interested in stocking it, but they can't find anyone in the US that manufactures boards. Once again, it was a hit, and lots of interest in the store about the game.

I brought my inexpensive board down to introduce my dad to the game, and he really enjoyed it as well. I'm going to leave it with him for a while so he can show some of his "cronies" and decide if he wants to buy a board of his own.

Spreading the crokinole love all over the midwest!
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Needs more variants though. ;)

I've got the gamer itch to pollute the game with various weird add-ons like new rules, pucks that change the scoring depending on where they land or what they hit.

Heh, maybe play it with the tiles from Hive. :P
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just found out that Wayne Kelly, or Mr. Crokinole, as he was known, died this past week. He's the gentleman that I bought my first board from, and as such I had multiple conversations with him. Tonight I shall be taking my board off of the wall and getting a few games in in his honor.