Reminder: For your holiday/Black Friday shopping, please use the Amazon affiliate links. This time of year can generate the lion's share of affiliate income for the year to keep the lights on. Every bit helps! Thanks!

Chess

All discussions regarding Electronic, Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, Zaxxon

Chesspieceface

Chess

Post by Chesspieceface » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:55 pm

Well after a 6 year hiatus I'm brushing up my chess game. Its nice to still have my library and softwares. I have a couple friends who give me a challenge and FICS is great to pick up a random opponent. Well here's a thread for anecdotes, puzzles and what have you. And if anyone wants to play a match on FICS just PM me here and we'll set it up. Fun to get back into it. I've played over the last years but my game was feeling increasingly "guessy" and I'd find I didn't know what to expect in basic positions anymore (1.e4.e5, 2.Nf3.Nc6, 3.Bb5...what do I do!?! :grund: ). Its a pleasure to refresh my grasp and I'm finding that the study changes my attitude toward the play which I had forgotten. !Viva Ajedrez!
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down

coopasonic

Re: Chess

Post by coopasonic » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:26 pm

I play "correspondence" style chess on redhotpawn.com as coopasonic. I wouldn't be any challenge for you, but I like the site. I bounce between 1300 and 1400 rating there typically.
-Coop

Jag

Post by Jag » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:45 pm

Funny, I was going to make a post about Chess today as well.

Our CFO got a chess board and is kicking everyone's ass, the smug bastard. I will defeat him, but first I must train....

After seeing a post on QT3, I joined Chess.Com today. My name is Jagg if anyone wants to send a challenge. I'm not very good though.

Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:57 pm

For online play I highly recommend the Babaschess.net client on FICS. Its been around for years and is immune from a lot of the newer web based issues seeing as it is a telnet server. But have gun will travel, I'll play anywhere... just seems silly to register your real ID for chessplaying. The only time I did that was with USCF online, but they already had my details anyway.

I'll play a game on FICS have the client save it as a .PGN, load that up in Fritz run a 10 minute analysis and then go right back over the game as a postmortem. Really great tools. There is also a bot on FICS called 'AnalysisBot' and you tell it to annotate any game you've played, and it sends you a URL back with diagrams and everything. Ah chess...
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down

Tokek

Post by Tokek » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:16 pm

We have a "Chess with Friends" on iPhone thing going. I'm still playing a few people from OO and GT.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:43 pm

Arise, Chess thread, before the World Championship match is over!

After coming out even over 12 regular games, they're down to a tiebreaker series of four rapid games (in which each player has much less time than usual). After two draws in the rapid games, the champ won game 3. They've just started game 4, which the challenger needs to win to say alive.

Has anyone else been following this? I've had a good time watching a few YouTube commentaries on the matches. I'm terrible at chess, but have found that I enjoy watching commentaries/analysis.
2 Kings 2:24

Holman

Post by Holman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:38 pm

I should pay more attention to the Championship!

I'm not a strong player, but in college one of my best friends became the U.S. champion (or co-champion). I took class notes for him when he flew around the world to get curb-stomped by Garry Kasparov.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:35 pm

Carlsen won, wrapping up the final game with a pretty sweet checkmate (technically mate would come on the next move, but this is where Karjakin resigned).
2 Kings 2:24

paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:38 am

It took me a minute to put that mate together. Probably why I'm not a very good chess player.
No sig, must scream, etc.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:52 am

Myself as well. It's not an immediate mate after the move, as the king can take the queen, but then the back rank rook will trap him.
Silver - 5k

paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:40 am

Isgrimnur wrote:Myself as well. It's not an immediate mate after the move, as the king can take the queen, but then the back rank rook will trap him.
Also note what happens with P X Q. Pretty nifty mate.
No sig, must scream, etc.

gilraen

Post by gilraen » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:22 pm

Isgrimnur wrote:Myself as well. It's not an immediate mate after the move, as the king can take the queen, but then the back rank rook will trap him.
I was actually immediately thinking pawn to h6 takes the queen, but then rook takes pawn on f7 and traps the king anyway.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:27 pm

That one escaped me.
Silver - 5k

Lassr
Away

Post by Lassr » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:55 pm

yeah, took me a few seconds also, as I didn't read the note above that the checkmate was the next move after the queen. Checkmate either way with King or Pawn taking the queen.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.